Mr Fishface's 125 gallon build

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi there everyone! I thought I would finally get around to posting my build thread here. I got a 125 gallon tank maybe a month ago from a local aquarium. Previously I had a 75 gallon mixed reef tank. I got it moved into my basement where I started working on it. I just got the sump up and running on it tonight actually! I have some pictures I'll upload too.

Currently for lighting I just have a 4 foot long, 8 bulb T5 system that I use 4 bulbs right now. Two blue+, a coral+ and a purple I believe; all from ATI. I have a 55 gallon sump currently but I would like to downgrade it to a 40 long one day. I also have a bubble magus curve 5 protein skimmer. Lets see, what else to share..

I also set up a frag tank but that has been on the backburner. It's a 40 gallon breeder with a sump I got for free from someone local. I'll be updating more info about this as I get it set up and running too.

Here is a picture from tonight after I just got the sump all set up and running! View attachment 1114122

https://www.omegasea.net/

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Hi there everyone! I thought I would finally get around to posting my build thread here. I got a 125 gallon tank maybe a month ago from a local aquarium. Previously I had a 75 gallon mixed reef tank. I got it moved into my basement where I started working on it. I just got the sump up and running on it tonight actually! I have some pictures I'll upload too.

Currently for lighting I just have a 4 foot long, 8 bulb T5 system that I use 4 bulbs right now. Two blue+, a coral+ and a purple I believe; all from ATI. I have a 55 gallon sump currently but I would like to downgrade it to a 40 long one day. I also have a bubble magus curve 5 protein skimmer. Lets see, what else to share..

I also set up a frag tank but that has been on the backburner. It's a 40 gallon breeder with a sump I got for free from someone local. I'll be updating more info about this as I get it set up and running too.

Here is a picture from tonight after I just got the sump all set up and running! View attachment 1114122
It sounds like you are off to a good start on your new build. I look forward to seeing pictures of your tank as it comes together!

Crabs McJones

Mayor of Reef2Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Looking good. I like your rock scape. Lots of arches for your fish to swim through :)

OP
Mr Fishface

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Thank you very much! The goal was exactly that - lots of arches for fish to swim through while also providing a lot of flat surface on the top for corals to be placed on. I'll take more pictures of the rock scape once lights turn on in a few hours :) You can see the difference between the old rock and new. A lot of my GSP covered rock got moved to my sump. I wanted to free up real estate but still keep all the filtration going.

OP
Mr Fishface

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Here is a better picture of my aquascape. It's mostly complete I still have a few more rocks in my frag tank that will transfer over. Rocks are pretty bare because I stripped almost all corals off the old rocks. I didnt want to be limited to placing new rock around coral ans it made my life easier. Now this week I'll be adding corals back into the tank ;)

20190630_124109_HDR.jpg

OP
Mr Fishface

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Well yesterday I got my sweet new Kessil a360WE lights in thanks to @dantimdad for them!!!

Here, as always, is a terrible pictures showing off the new lights in my tank. I have them fitted up into my canopy or I would show that too lol. If I could figure out how to use my wife's DSLR I bet that would take nicer pictures.
This is my first time owning Kessil lights but I am blown away by how NICE they make the tank look! I love them!
unnamed.jpg

OP
Mr Fishface

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Here is a picture of my tank with the T5 and Kessil together. I really love how it looks. The spectral controller is also very easy to use! Being that these are new to me I decided to make the max intensity for the week at 40%. Does that seem too high to anyone? Or is that a good place to start?
fts.jpg

Best reef aquarium LED lighting
OP
Mr Fishface

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are issues if I want to drill two, 1 1/4" holes in the side of my aquarium stand? I want to plumb my frag tank to my main sump and would like to drill holes to keep it looking sleek.

OP
Mr Fishface

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
I have a coral that I THINK is a monti of some type, that is aboslutely loving the new kessil lights! Polyps are everywhere and it has gotten a really nice, soft pink color to it. Picture doesn't do it justice but I tried ;)

Tomorrow I will start to drill the stand to plumb my frag tank in the system. Very excited!

20190710_175846.jpg

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock
OP
Mr Fishface

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
I got the stand drilled and connected. I decided I will use the 40b as a display refugium and may one day turn it into a frag tank. For how though i don't have many frags that need to be in there. Ive got a couple zoas that are regrowing after mysteriously disappearing, some xenia on a rock and a few mushrooms. I also added my brand new ATO into my system and am very happy with it so far! Kept my water levels stable overnight which is a good start :D I'll add more pics today of how the tank is starting to look now that I've added more coral, as well as my display refugium.

20190718_184426.jpg

OP
Mr Fishface

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Here are a couple new pictures. I added some new fish and they all follow me when I walk past the tank. Pretty humorous so I took a picture of them all huddled up, waiting to be fed! I still need to move my heater into my sump hehe.
I also got a boxfish that I have put into my display refugium. It is the only fish in there while I get it acclimated to a reef tank life and until it grows a little bigger. I have a bigger powerhead in the DT that it wouldn't do great with while my refugium is currently a slower flow. The boxfish started eating just the other day. Red algae seems to be the holy grail for getting picky fish to eat! I like to call it fishnip as all of my fish just love to eat it. The tank is also jam packed with pods that I have now witnessed the boxfish enjoying which makes my heart happy.

Anyway, onto pictures!

boxfish1.jpg reef2.jpg

OP
Mr Fishface

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Been too long since I've updated. Just traded my rabbitfish for 6 coral frags. He was fighting with my tangs pretty good plus I'm fairly sure he was the zoa eater in my tank. Bought a hammer and torch coral last week. Looking at placing a large order for corals in the next month to two months to really fill out the tank. Refugium below the tank is doing well. Put a plant grow light on it to help increase growth. Was just using a 26w cfl bulb before.

20191107_130401.jpg 20191107_130352.jpg 20191107_130419.jpg 20191107_130412.jpg

https://www.omegasea.net/

How do you run activated carbon on your reef tank?

• Reactor

Votes: 238 36.3%
  • Filter Sock

Votes: 28 4.3%
  • Mesh Bag

Votes: 297 45.3%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • I don't run Carbon

Votes: 81 12.4%

Online statistics

Members online