MTC HSA 250 protein skimmer help

Justfbilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a MTC HSA-250 protein skimmer. It's been working great and then it stopped skimming. I have been making adjustments for about a week now and it still will not skim? Looking to see if anyone might have a manual for these skimmers or any ideas why the skimmer would stop suddenly.

Reef Man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally rocks and crab shells block the air holes and not air is sucked.

OP
OP
Justfbilly

Justfbilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed and cleaned the beckett valve and no luck. I am getting a good abut of bubbles in the water but I cant get any skimmate

OP
OP
Justfbilly

Justfbilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a Auquatic Life 3700 pump on my skimmer. Here is a link to a video of the skimmer running.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a fairly underwhelming pump for that skimmer. If you an an internal AC pump I would put at least a mag18 or mag24 on that.

OP
OP
Justfbilly

Justfbilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the flow backed off on the skimmer, if I open the flow it immediately fills the cup and overflows. This skimmer was working great up till a few weeks ago? Do I need to increase the flow and reduce the length of the output tube?

skim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like your bio load is not that high. From what I see in the Video you have clear liquid in the cup and your water level in the skimmer is too high it should only come up to the top of the skimmer body or less not into cup. I assume this is a new skimmer? How old is the tank and what size? There has to something in the water for skimmers to work and it looks like your organic load is low so the Skimmer will just keep doing what it is doing right now until the load builds and you will see foam then it will stop again.

http://www.marinetechnical.com/page10.html

Last edited:

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the flow backed off on the skimmer, if I open the flow it immediately fills the cup and overflows. This skimmer was working great up till a few weeks ago? Do I need to increase the flow and reduce the length of the output tube?

I would email Jeff and make sure your phone number is in the email.

Reef Man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you see less bubbles or same ammount like in the past when skimmer was working fine?

Reef Man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, maybe it is just adjusting. Try put water level without air at half, 3/4 at much of the skimmer body, then open air and wait pair of hours and see if it works.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you recently clean out the skimmer with vinegar or dose chemiclean or any sort of additive? Have you added any new equipment? The skimmer looks to be functioning correctly but it may just be breaking in for some reason or being offset by some chemical.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back