OP
OP
MuffinMonster

MuffinMonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a picture dump on the updates i posted about last night! Was able to snap a few good pictures today.

APC_0041.JPG

APC_0042.JPG
APC_0065.JPG
APC_0057.JPG
APC_0055.JPG
APC_0052.JPG
IMG_7534.jpg

OP
OP
MuffinMonster

MuffinMonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Measured some levels this weekend and surprisingly i measured .25 phosphate on my salifert test kit, i thought it wasn't reading right so i did it again and got .25, so i figured it was time to go pick up a ULR Phosphate Hanna checker, after testing with the hanna checker i found phosphate to be .3ppm. I picked up some brightwell Phosphate-E and will be slowly dosing that at 1ml a day for the next couple days while i maintain and watch my phosphate levels, the only place it could be coming from is leeching from the dry rock. I don't think a couple decayed shrimp in there over the cycle could cause those levels to rise that much, as i measure nitrates at less than 1ppm.

We will see if the brightwell stuff works how it says it does! Probably will need to follow the recommended dose of it and continue to dose it once a week for the first few months of the tank to keep phosphates in check.

OP
OP
MuffinMonster

MuffinMonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This past Saturday morning when i moved my fish over to the reefer 250 i noticed almost 10 minutes after putting my coral beauty in the tank that he wasn't swimming right. The pumps were blowing him all over the place and he was struggling to stay up-right and swim, so i've turned my pumps down really slow since introducing the fish into the tank for him to be able to heal up. Well last night i got home and found him stuck the the side of my MP10, it was on like 20% reefcrest. Poor little buddy never recovered from the other day, i noticed he wasn't eating also.

I did notice when i put him to the new tank he freaked out a bit and swam under some of the rock structures and i believe he got pinned in there some how and maybe damaged something. Because i saw him wiggle a bit then pop out from under the rock and that is when i noticed he was struggling to swim :(

This is my first fish loss in 2.5 years of the hobby, he was the newest of the fish introduced into my old tank 10/2019. Poor little fella will be missed.

OP
OP
MuffinMonster

MuffinMonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MuffinMonster Just wondering if you used a net with him. CB have big spines on their gills and can get them damaged by nets.

Really? I did not know this, and yes I used a net to catch him and put him in the new tank. I’ll be really sad if the net was the cause :(

He was really easy to catch and go in the net though, he didn’t mind me picking him up into it when pulling him out of the old tank to get him into the new tank.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MuffinMonster I don't know if netting could damage the gill spines enough to kill one. You should use your hand when possible when handling fish. And yeah the scientific name for Coral Beauties means gill spine. Most dwarf angels have spines on their gills but the CB is most prominent.

OP
OP
MuffinMonster

MuffinMonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup. I’m looking forward to seeing some sticks in there.

Thanks man! It's been a patient wait these last few months while i got this thing running. Hopefully ill see some coraline in the next month or two and can start throwing some frags in there!

@MuffinMonster I don't know if netting could damage the gill spines enough to kill one. You should use your hand when possible when handling fish. And yeah the scientific name for Coral Beauties means gill spine. Most dwarf angels have spines on their gills but the CB is most prominent.

@powers2001 Glad to know! Thanks for sharing, i was wondering what happened. I don't know if it was a previous underlying condition, from me moving him with a net now, or getting stuck/hurt on one of the rock structures in the new tank when he first entered. Ill definitely try to not use a net from now on. Ill definitely be bummed if i did that :(

I'm trying to think of what to put in there now since hes gone. I was thinking maybe a couple anthias or another pygmy angel, like a flameback or cherub. I wanted 5/6 fish in this tank but now with the CB gone ill only have 4. I wasn't going to add any other fish to the tank, but now i'd like to.

OP
OP
MuffinMonster

MuffinMonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought of a hawkfish? Flames and Longnose are awesome !!!! Lot's of personality.

I've not actually looked into hawkfish before, just looked them up and the flame hawkfish looks super cool! I am planning on having a skunk cleaner shrimp though, it says the hawkfish eat shrimp? If so it couldn't be an option.

OP
OP
MuffinMonster

MuffinMonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread thus far. Following along.

I also live in Indiana. Are you going to INDMAS next weekend?

Yes i am, i'm excited to go! Unfortunately i wont be able to pick up any coral, which is a total bummer. I still have a month or two before ill be introducing coral otherwise i would be picking up a bunch. But ill definitely be going and browsing around and chatting, i need to get involved with more reefers in the area. I live downtown around lucas oil stadium. You in the indy area?

@MuffinMonster Yeah that's a total bummer about hawkfish.

They look great though! I may end up just trying 3/4 chromis too. I really want something that's going to be active and swimming around out in the open water of the tank which is why i was originally thinking anthias, my LFS recommend 3 evansi anthias, from what im reading lyretail or bartletts are more popular. But im also reading anthias can be big jerks and starve your other fish by being aggressive during feeding times. Which is why i'm also looking at some typical blue/green chromis. But also i have the two clowns, royal gramma and the juvenile tomini tang, i'm not sure how many fish are too many fish in a reefer 250. You think adding a trio of chromis or anthias would be over-loading? I do have very good mechanical filtration though.

Okinawa_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i am, i'm excited to go! Unfortunately i wont be able to pick up any coral, which is a total bummer. I still have a month or two before ill be introducing coral otherwise i would be picking up a bunch. But ill definitely be going and browsing around and chatting, i need to get involved with more reefers in the area. I live downtown around lucas oil stadium. You in the indy area?

They look great though! I may end up just trying 3/4 chromis too. I really want something that's going to be active and swimming around out in the open water of the tank which is why i was originally thinking anthias, my LFS recommend 3 evansi anthias, from what im reading lyretail or bartletts are more popular. But im also reading anthias can be big jerks and starve your other fish by being aggressive during feeding times. Which is why i'm also looking at some typical blue/green chromis. But also i have the two clowns, royal gramma and the juvenile tomini tang, i'm not sure how many fish are too many fish in a reefer 250. You think adding a trio of chromis or anthias would be over-loading? I do have very good mechanical filtration though.

I'll be at INDMAS, but I too am unable to pick anything up because my new build hasn't seen water yet and my current tank is jammed to the max. I live in Lafayette, but I'm in Indy/Greenwood 2-3 times a week for work.

OP
OP
MuffinMonster

MuffinMonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be at INDMAS, but I too am unable to pick anything up because my new build hasn't seen water yet and my current tank is jammed to the max. I live in Lafayette, but I'm in Indy/Greenwood 2-3 times a week for work.

Awesome man! Total bummer you wont be able to pick anything up either, but it will be a good time anyway! Ah yea, i live downtown and work up in Carmel. If you're ever in the greenwood/southside indy area check out modern aquatix, Jeremy is the man and is who i buy most my stuff from.

Whats your new tank build going to be?

Okinawa_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome man! Total bummer you wont be able to pick anything up either, but it will be a good time anyway! Ah yea, i live downtown and work up in Carmel. If you're ever in the greenwood/southside indy area check out modern aquatix, Jeremy is the man and is who i buy most my stuff from.

Whats your new tank build going to be?
Yeah man, I've only been to Jeremy's shop once. Though I did spend quite a bit of money at his booth at INDMAS 2 years ago!

New tank is a SCA 90 gallon. It's a similar size to these 250's which is why I've been cruising through all of your guys' threads lol. I may begin a build thread, but had a few more things I wanted to do to the stand and stuff before I get ahead of myself.

OP
OP
MuffinMonster

MuffinMonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank is a SCA 90 gallon. It's a similar size to these 250's which is why I've been cruising through all of your guys' threads lol. I may begin a build thread, but had a few more things I wanted to do to the stand and stuff before I get ahead of myself.

Heck yea, i love following build threads. A ton of people out there with crazy awesome ideas that definitely inspired my build a lot. Read through them all over time and implement a combination of everything you like into your next build! It was fun doing custom sump mods and plumbing. Makes the feel of the tank more accomplished as its something you partially envisioned and built yourself! The plumbing is my favorite part so far. It was fun to build, and looks amazing in person. While its not perfect (it was my first time plumbing) i'm happy with the outcome, and it was easier than i first expected.

Highly highly highly recommend incorporating a roller mat into your new system. I am absolute trash about changing out mechanical filtration every couple days so it has been a huge benefit letting it do its thing.

Okinawa_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heck yea, i love following build threads. A ton of people out there with crazy awesome ideas that definitely inspired my build a lot. Read through them all over time and implement a combination of everything you like into your next build! It was fun doing custom sump mods and plumbing. Makes the feel of the tank more accomplished as its something you partially envisioned and built yourself! The plumbing is my favorite part so far. It was fun to build, and looks amazing in person. While its not perfect (it was my first time plumbing) i'm happy with the outcome, and it was easier than i first expected.

Highly highly highly recommend incorporating a roller mat into your new system. I am absolute trash about changing out mechanical filtration every couple days so it has been a huge benefit letting it do its thing.
Already purchased the Clarisea 5000. I bought the tank used and it came with a trigger sump that I just modified the heck out of to fit the roller. I've got to finish that small project to sand it down and get the acrylic polished back up. Again, part of the reason why I've procrastinated starting my build thread. Anyways, I don't mean to hijack your thread. I'll for sure be following along, and maybe I'll see you at INDMAS.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MuffinMonster I've had terrible luck with blue-greens and have heard a lot of similar stories. They always killed each other off for some reason, cheap though. Also look into yellow tailed blue damsels, fairly mild and don't hide.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MuffinMonster hey is your clarisea gen 1, or gen 2? My 1” white PVC and orange PVC don’t fit to the grey elbow that comes with the clarisea gen 2?!? The grey elbow says 1” but my PVC don’t fit. Did I get wrong part or am I missing anything here??

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back