Multi tank system

Kaida

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love some advice about connecting tanks please. I have 2x 3ft tanks and a 2ft tank. I also have a good external canister filter and a 300a Hailea chiller. I’m not worried about disease spreading as they have been in together. My 3ft tanks are different heights and slightly different sizing but I could make them the same if need be. One stand is quite low which might make it trickier.

I want to do this as cheaply as I can as my aquarium project has blown way out of budget due to terrible advice and my Axolotls not being the same sex like they were meant to be. I will have the male in one 3ft and female in the other & both need to be kept btw 14-18C and I can’t buy a second chiller. The one I have will be large enough to cool both tanks.

I’m ok with cutting the higher stand or raising the shorter stand. I’m ok with drilling the tank/s just can’t buy a heap of expensive stuff. Do I really need gate valves? They are about $60AU here. I found some for $30-40 but the sizing is for China & US and I’m in Au so I need to make sure I get pipes/hoses that work. Ball valves are cheaper and easier to get here.

My chiller and pump are using 19mm hosing which I have more of plus some connectors and reducers.

Sump or no sump? If sump can I use my 2ft? I don’t have room on my stand for that though.

I tried a divider but the male jumped it and then I changed it so he couldn’t but half a 3ft isn’t enough room and because he can see her he is swimming up and down and pushing the divider all night long and he’s not eating well.

I’ve got a few ideas of how to set it up but the more advice the better.
What size bulkheads? Axolotls need good filtration and low flow.

I know this is a marine forum but the plumbing expertise is much better here.

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drill em all. Same sump would be much easier. 1 filter sock would probably be less work than cleaning a canister as well. Could share a return pump.

OP
OP
Kaida

Kaida

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drill em all. Same sump would be much easier. 1 filter sock would probably be less work than cleaning a canister as well. Could share a return pump.
Both 3ft or the 2ft too? 20mm or 25mm do you think? And if I go sump, what size, can it be on the same level as the lower tank (probably not but how much lower does is need to be?) I was thinking 1000L/hr rated pump but not sure if that’s right.
Thank you! I’ve never done anything like this but I’m excited to drill the tank and set it all up.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back