Multiple Heater Questions

DaFlava

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I currently have 60G tank with 30G sump running a single 200W heater. I'm looking at moving to a backup system just in case my heater fails and understand there are other added benefits such as slower temp drops and reduce thermal shock on water changes etc.

Any issue with just getting another 200W heater or do I need to replace and go with half size heaters? If half size is 100W each good setting primary to 77F and backup to 76F? Assume they both kick on if the temp drops below 76F in this case until each reach their appropriate temp?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The advantage of multiple small heaters is if they stick "on" you dont roast your tank. If you dont use a controller as a failsafe i would never put a heater in the tank that could by itself roast the tank if stuck on. Many years ago i learned that the hard way.

OP
OP
D

DaFlava

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The advantage of multiple small heaters is if they stick "on" you dont roast your tank. If you dont use a controller as a failsafe i would never put a heater in the tank that could by itself roast the tank if stuck on. Many years ago i learned that the hard way.
I don't mind spending the extra cash to do it properly as a just in case lol scenario. Would 100W be appropriate for 90G total? They both kick on to get to proper temp at times to speed up temp changes?

FTW-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen a video recommendation from @Bulk Reef Supply to go with two that are 75% of the needed wattage (this way you split the difference, and reduce risk & work on either individual heater)

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mind spending the extra cash to do it properly as a just in case lol scenario. Would 100W be appropriate for 90G total? They both kick on to get to proper temp at times to speed up temp changes?

Personally i would buy a 100 or 150w to go with your 200 and an inkbird as a controller. Set the heaters a bit higher than the inkbird so inkbird controls the off/on generally but if it fails then the heater thermostat itself hopefully works and still shuts them off as appropriate. Also gives you advantage of alerts if the heaters fail in off position and temp drops too low. This assumes you dont have a full fledged controller(ghl/apex/etc) in which case use that rather than inkbird.

OP
OP
D

DaFlava

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally i would buy a 100 or 150w to go with your 200 and an inkbird as a controller. Set the heaters a bit higher than the inkbird so inkbird controls the off/on generally but if it fails then the heater thermostat itself hopefully works and still shuts them off as appropriate. Also gives you advantage of alerts if the heaters fail in off position and temp drops too low. This assumes you dont have a full fledged controller(ghl/apex/etc) in which case use that rather than inkbird.
Happen to know if this is possible with an apex system? I gotta imagine yes lol. I only ask cause I have one coming in tomorrow :p

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back