Multiple Male Anthias

Shallow Planet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ordered 10 Barlett Anthias. 8 of them are male...

What should I do? My tank is a 5 foot 150g tank with only a tang and damsel currently.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be a problem. They will fight till only 1 or 2 are left. I would return them and exchange for females.

OP
OP
S

Shallow Planet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the issue is it was an online vendor. I wouldnt buy all males in person. Im thinking I might have to just try and get rid of them locally...

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can try exchanging/selling them to local fish stores or other hobbyists.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add a lot of flow and feed frequently. Bartlett's bicker, but aren't as likely to kill each other off like lyretails are.

@ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not unusual. Many of the online vendors don't even give you the option to buy females versus males. You don't say how large they are. That can go a long way to determining success (generally, smaller is better; though not too small). Also depends a bit on whether they are sub-males or not. I've got 10 in my tank, and probably 7 are males, but its a 450 with lots of flow and I feed them a ton. Also keep in mind that you will almost certainly lose some of them to shipping/acclimation stress. Agree with TJ that Bartlett are more 'chippy' than homicidal.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back