Multiple salifert test kits giving different results

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a salifert calcium kit since my old one was running low. To my surprise though they both told different results by a large margin, my old one reads 425 while the new one reads 490. How can i know which one is correct? Because for weeks i tested mines at 445 and dipped to 420 today on the old one. I just wanna make sure i keep it stable since im dosing 2 part.

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, these test kits are not overly accurate or highly repeatable. I believe they are meant to provide you more of a relative indication, rather than be relied on for an exact number.

Think about it this way ... the difference between 490 and 425 is only 15% ... I wouldn't expect these kind of test kits to offer an accuracy much greater than 10% ... so these two measurements are definitely different, but based on the time of day and the difference in kits the difference may not be as big as you think.

Also be prepared that there will be inevitable swings in calcium levels on a daily basis. The key is to maintain them greater than 360ppm, which is the lower boundary at which it becomes difficult for corals (and some macroalgaes) to grow.

In c are it helps to compare, I am using a Neptune Systems Trident to measure calcium levels in my tank twice a day and use it to automatically adjust my dosing amount, and here is the resulting fluctuation in CA levels I get:

Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 12.57.25 AM.png

For a more in-depth discussion on ideal calcium levels, see Randy Holmes-Farley's article on ideal water parameters ... scroll down a little past the tables to see what he has to say about calcium in particular.

rusgum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a salifert calcium kit since my old one was running low. To my surprise though they both told different results by a large margin, my old one reads 425 while the new one reads 490. How can i know which one is correct? Because for weeks i tested mines at 445 and dipped to 420 today on the old one. I just wanna make sure i keep it stable since im dosing 2 part.
When I open a new test, I always check it with a reference liquid and make a correction when measuring.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back