Multiple wrasse.in acclimation box

captain_jimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

Four wrasse arrived today by courier.
I have them all in an acclimation box currently, there is a bit of aggression happening.

The box is quite small so am hoping that accounts for it but wondering what the general opinion is about releasing them into the DT.

Cheersjimmy

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

Four wrasse arrived today by courier.
I have them all in an acclimation box currently, there is a bit of aggression happening.

The box is quite small so am hoping that accounts for it but wondering what the general opinion is about releasing them into the DT.

Cheersjimmy
Hi Jimmy,
Is 'acclimation box' a QT that becomes HT if one is sickly & needs treatment or is it truly just an acclimation box already sitting in DT sharing DT water?

Not enough details to know acclimation strategy you are employing.

If acclimation box only - since wrasses usually go 1 per tank - thinking either let them out into their tanks or divide up box OR (best) have multiple acclimation boxes if you are trying 'meet and greet' strategy. Acclimation boxes can be fancy or they can be as simple as a clean bottle you pull out of your recycling and cut slits into for water flow.

OP
OP
captain_jimmy

captain_jimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a small box in my DT.
I wanted to add these wrasse at once, I plan to get a couple more and thought adding in batches would hopefully spread out any aggression.

WRT the one per tank, I had planned to have 1 of a variety of different wrasse that are theoretically compatible according to a chart.i reviewed.

Due to an ordering mixup I now have two of one type which is unfortunate.

PXL_20210630_204432605.MP.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a small box in my DT.
I wanted to add these wrasse at once, I plan to get a couple more and thought adding in batches would hopefully spread out any aggression.

WRT the one per tank, I had planned to have 1 of a variety of different wrasse that are theoretically compatible according to a chart.i reviewed.

Due to an ordering mixup I now have two of one type which is unfortunate.

PXL_20210630_204432605.MP.jpg

What is in tank they are doing 'meet and greet' in acclimation box?

They are gorgeous!! My tangs are Death Dealers, so 'meet and greet' can last days but some recommend weeks.

Sounds like you did homework in preparation, so you likely know more wrasse species specific info than my general wrasse info (and my wrasse doesn't follow its species behavior anyhow...). If what is in the tank isn't showing aggression towards wrasses in box, then vote let wrasses out (end 'meet & greet').

Sometimes it all works out, so I'll be crossing my fingers for you!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do they need the box? Is there something in the DT that will harm them? While I have used boxes… 4 in there is a bit crowded and they may get a bit agitated with the others.

You may want to invest in more boxes if you plan to order so many at once.

OP
OP
captain_jimmy

captain_jimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do they need the box? Is there something in the DT that will harm them? While I have used boxes… 4 in there is a bit crowded and they may get a bit agitated with the others.

You may want to invest in more boxes if you plan to order so many at once.
Yah it's too small I agree.

I have it because I didn't want to risk just dumping them in with my other reef community members.

I have been thinking, I'm gonna go lights out shortly as it's evening here and then leave the lid open overnight so they can leave the box if they'd like.

They seem to be working out a pecking order. The biggest is the submissive one, he's hanging out in a corner and gets nipped if he tries to come up.

Gave them some food and everyone got some and they chilled out for a few minutes, so fingers crossed they can learn to get along.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.7%
Back