Multiple zoa frags suddenly dying or really sick

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All water parameters test fine. Ammonia is 0. This may be the problem, but I don't know - I have a sample of Polyp Booster from a coral order I got a couple of months ago. I feed my zoas frequently. For the first time this morning I gave some of them the Polyp Booster sample. Now most are all crumpled looking. Some quite bad. One of them is a Paly that now has a grey patch on it. Looks like it might be rotting (?). The other head on that frag is similar. Could the sample have gone bad and done this? It didn't smell at all.
Sorry about the poor cell phone photos.

1619475352966.png

Grey patch is on the bottom with the red bubble (maybe old food being ejected?)
1619475451248.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I have never checked them. That grey area used to be the same color as the purple/brown above. It is spreading/getting larger on the other polyp. It's definitely new today.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I feed polyp booster and they do this when they take it in. I do broadcast feed and not direct feed them with this. It may have been too much for them, but dont see why they wont bounce back

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed polyp booster and they do this when they take it in. I do broadcast feed and not direct feed them with this. It may have been too much for them, but dont see why they wont bounce back
Why do you think they have a grey patch spreading across them"

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Polyp lab is very milky as you noticed and contains pigments and aminos and the high pigment content im sure caused this
They call for iml per SIXTY gallons. . . and i'll bet you probably gave them close to a m/l

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyp lab is very milky as you noticed and contains pigments and aminos and the high pigment content im sure caused this
They call for iml per SIXTY gallons. . . and i'll bet you probably gave them close to a m/l
Not that much. Just spot fed a little dribble. Enough to cover part of the top. They always eat everything I give them.

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realized that I never updated this. The polyps that I had fed the Poly Booster sample to either died or remained closed for over a week. When they opened, most either had colors that looked smeared, similar to the picture above, and a couple had changed to totally different colors. Here is a zoa before and after. My phone camera does a very poor job of capturing the colors in the second picture. It is now a really bright bubblegum pink with an bright pastel green skirt. Oddly, the babies that have grown since then are also the same bright pink and green. It is beautiful, but does not look at all the same.

1623514947468.jpeg

1623515600539.png

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 149 75.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back