Muriatic acid neutralized....

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to give my live rock a muriatic acid bath. I found strange fungus looking areas on the rock that survied closed lid brute trash can cycling for months. I did not want to find out it what it would do with light, so I killed it off.

Anyways I've added a good amount of baking soda to the tubs with rock in it. When the foaming/bubbling stops does that mean its neutral? How do I know for sure? Once I know its neutral is it safe to dispose of in my lawn? I also have plumbing snake access to my plumbing main but that'll be a chore and much more handling than my lawn. I'll do whatever is more enviromentally sound.

Thanks for any input.

P.S.

To anyone else who plans to do a acid bath on rocks. Do not do it once that evening dew hits! I was prepared to cover my face and hold my breath when pouring the acid into the water but I did not expect to get hit with a cloud straight from the bottle! I'm assuming it reacted to the moisture in the air. Just a heads up to fellow reefers, most likely parents who's reef time takes place at night :)

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same was you neautralize acid, put some of that baking soda you had sitting beside you for emergency, in the water to see if it reacts.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock itself will neutralize it if you wait enough, but yes, if you add baking or washing soda and the bubbling drops when adding more, the pH has been raised and it is no longer acidic.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pour the residue down a storm drain after it's completely neutralized. If pouring on your lawn, maybe do it in an inconspicuous place just to be sure.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys.

I used a baking soda and waited until the reaction stopped and the foam started to clear on top. Poured the leftover down the gutter and ran the hose for awhile just to be safe.

Now to get rock scaping!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 97 44.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back