Will muriatic acid destroy a Jebao return pump?

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm bleaching and acid-washing my rocks right now. While washing the rocks, I use a small 3500 Jebao return pump to keep the water in the brute can moving. The bleach washing method is excellent, but I was curious about the muriatic acid. Over the weekend, I gave the rocks an acid wash, and while it did the trick, I think the mixture could have been improved. I'm using 15–20 gallons of water with one gallon of acid. I'll run the solution for twenty to thirty minutes.

Is this solution strong enough to damage the pump or the magnet inside the pump so that it leaks something into the water?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm bleaching and acid-washing my rocks right now. While washing the rocks, I use a small 3500 Jebao return pump to keep the water in the brute can moving. The bleach washing method is excellent, but I was curious about the muriatic acid. Over the weekend, I gave the rocks an acid wash, and while it did the trick, I think the mixture could have been improved. I'm using 15–20 gallons of water with one gallon of acid. I'll run the solution for twenty to thirty minutes.

Is this solution strong enough to damage the pump or the magnet inside the pump so that it leaks something into the water?

I don’t think that concentration for that time is a concern.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 110 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back