Q About Reeflink, & muriatic acid vs white distilled vinegar

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a tank off a couple and got a crazy good deal, however needs some love to get clean again. Got a surprise Nero 5 thrown in but it's caked in white calcium buildup would you recommend muriatic acid or vinegar? Also, the tank has Coraline and white calcium all of the walls, overflow, and sump do too. So, can I use muriatic acid in the tank if I clean it nicely or should I not and just use vinegar? Just trying to think smart and don't want to buy a 10-gallon jug of muriatic acid if I can't use it to clean up the tank too, and also makes sense to not use it in the tank, but I just feel like it would be more effective.

Also wondering if anyone has any info on reeflinks. I got 2 Gen 3 XR30s and got them cleaned up but no Reeflink. The lady said that I can plug in a laptop and program them but I'm a junky and would rather have phone control. So, can you find those anywhere? If so where? Are they good or not? They look to be almost obsolete to me once I scoured the Internet.

Thanks for any info in advance!

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a tank off a couple and got a crazy good deal, however needs some love to get clean again. Got a surprise Nero 5 thrown in but it's caked in white calcium buildup would you recommend muriatic acid or vinegar? Also, the tank has Coraline and white calcium all of the walls, overflow, and sump do too. So, can I use muriatic acid in the tank if I clean it nicely or should I not and just use vinegar? Just trying to think smart and don't want to buy a 10-gallon jug of muriatic acid if I can't use it to clean up the tank too, and also makes sense to not use it in the tank, but I just feel like it would be more effective.

Also wondering if anyone has any info on reeflinks. I got 2 Gen 3 XR30s and got them cleaned up but no Reeflink. The lady said that I can plug in a laptop and program them but I'm a junky and would rather have phone control. So, can you find those anywhere? If so where? Are they good or not? They look to be almost obsolete to me once I scoured the Internet.

Reeflinks stopped being made YEARS ago when they switched over to their new mobius platform.… you can still Find some second hand though.
Unfortunately that will be the only way to control them without plugging in a USB cable.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reeflinks stopped being made YEARS ago when they switched over to their new mobius platform.… you can still Find some second hand though.
Unfortunately that will be the only way to control them without plugging in a USB cable.

It’s not that they are “obsolete” it’s just that exotech moved to their new platform and stopped doing any updates for the reeflink and all the new equipment works with mobius instead.

Reeflink works great for the lights and pumps tho. I actually prefer it to their new software (why I won’t “upgrade” to the new versions)

I currently have 5 lights and 3 pumps being controlled by the reeflink (used to be 7 and 5 but we just combined 2 tanks into a bigger one) and don’t have any issues.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not that they are “obsolete” it’s just that exotech moved to their new platform and stopped doing any updates for the reeflink and all the new equipment works with mobius instead.

Reeflink works great for the lights and pumps tho. I actually prefer it to their new software (why I won’t “upgrade” to the new versions)

I currently have 5 lights and 3 pumps being controlled by the reeflink (used to be 7 and 5 but we just combined 2 tanks into a bigger one) and don’t have any issues.
Okay, gotcha so you may have some answers for me! So with the reeflink after the initial link to the lights could I put the reeflink at my computer about 10 feet away from my tank? does it work as a router for the lights? Also before I get a reef link if I only have a PC and no laptop besides a macbook can I plug these XR30 gen 3 into my computer with the cable and program them, then unplug them, and take them to my tank plug them back in and they hold the program I gave them? Or do they only keep a program once they are plugged in and lose it once unplugged? Also, can I make one radion a master and one a slave without the reeflink?

Thanks for any you can answer, haven't found anyone with older gens recently, or they arent coming forward lol

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i would use muriatic inside the tank but not for nero. it will clean it up much faster then straight vinegar. do it outside and wear eye and hand protection.
muriatic is used 10-1 with water so a gallon goes a long way.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, gotcha so you may have some answers for me! So with the reeflink after the initial link to the lights could I put the reeflink at my computer about 10 feet away from my tank? does it work as a router for the lights? Also before I get a reef link if I only have a PC and no laptop besides a macbook can I plug these XR30 gen 3 into my computer with the cable and program them, then unplug them, and take them to my tank plug them back in and they hold the program I gave them? Or do they only keep a program once they are plugged in and lose it once unplugged? Also, can I make one radion a master and one a slave without the reeflink?

Thanks for any you can answer, haven't found anyone with older gens recently, or they arent coming forward lol
Yes, you can put it anywhere in your house that has a strong wifi signal, and yea it basically acts as a router for the lights. your phone app talks to the reeflink, which talks to the lights.

Yes you can program via the usb next to the computer and then move them after the programming gets set. once its set it should stay on that program until you change it via the reeflink or usb.

theres no master/slave mode for the lights, thats only pumps (since the pumps flow changes based on the master). all the lights would just get the same programming and run in a group. You can even have the lights fade from one side of the tank to the other if you really want to to simulate the sun moving.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would use muriatic inside the tank but not for nero. it will clean it up much faster then straight vinegar. do it outside and wear eye and hand protection.
Interesting I would think the opposite. So with the acid you just have to clean whenever you use it thoroughly so it doesn't stay on the walls of the tank and then leach into the water once you fill it?

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting I would think the opposite. So with the acid you just have to clean whenever you use it thoroughly so it doesn't stay on the walls of the tank and then leach into the water once you fill it?
correct. clean everything good

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H
Hey I got a question, would you put the 10:1 solution in a squirt bottle or in a little bucket? Also like a scotch brit scour pad or rag or what do you think?

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
H

Hey I got a question, would you put the 10:1 solution in a squirt bottle or in a little bucket? Also like a scotch brit scour pad or rag or what do you think?
i would apply it with a rag/sponge. you dont want the mist getting airborne and dont let it puddle at the bottom of tank. i dont know if it will do anything but why take a chance.
some spots you may have to go a little stronger than 10:1

lmfbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm a big fan of citric acid for cleaning pumps

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would apply it with a rag/sponge. you dont want the mist getting airborne and dont let it puddle at the bottom of tank. i dont know if it will do anything but why take a chance.
some spots you may have to go a little stronger than 10:1
So do a wipe on wipe off technique? That was another question, being I can’t imagine the acid getting on the seams could be good.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for all the bsck and fourth trying to get the science down so I’m not fighting myself out thier cuz I have ALOT of coraline alage on a tank I need to clean.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back