Muriatic acid to clean rocks

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! So when I recently moved from
My 55 gallon reef to my 72 bow front I also upgraded the sump from 13G to 29G. I still need to add sump dividers and a better skimmer but it was really become a cyano/algae tank and I was at the point of just selling the tank. But I knew if I quit at the hobby I would be disappointed in myself and I would be doing just that, giving up.

So I decided I needed to do a serious overhaul and I am replacing all of the sand which is very fine and gets everywhere and isn't live with all brand new live sand. I'm thinking maybe the special grade stuff I've heard a lot about. How many bags is appropriate for a 72G bow front?

Also my rocks were a nightmare and covered in cyano. This new place has a lot of windows but I keep the shades down. Another problem I have is my light schedule is 5pm to about midnight so I think between all the daylight sun that filters in I need to adjust to 11am to 7pm so that at night the tank is dark. I think I'm creating a light cycle that is way too long inadvertently. So I kept the 3 least corroded pieces of lives rock in the tank. I may even clean these and buy fresh live rock to seed my cleaned rock but we all know the hitchhikers that can come from that.

Will the live sand seed my dry rock?

So back to my original point. I tried boiling one rock and yes I used proper ventilation incase of any poisonous residue but even that didn't do the trick. So I saw a post online about Muriatic acid which I had never heard of and thought why not. So I tried it on 3 rocks and I was amazed at the results. I was left with clean dry rock that I can restart with. I after let them soak for three days in a heavy mixture of baking soda and water to neutralize and acid.

I then let hem soak for two days in just water and rinsed them heavily. Let them dry, and rinsed them again.

They look good as new and other people that have done it have had no ill after effects. I also think the acid helped to create more pores in the rocks giving more surface area for beneficial bacteria.

I'm hoping maybe Randy Holmes-Farley can chirp in with the excellent brain of his but I know we have plenty of great other minds and people who may have done this before. As much as I didn't want to effectively start over I was fighting a losing battle and sometimes you've got to regroup and then march forward!

I lost one fish in the move and one container of corals I forgot in the car. The cyano was absolutely thriving. Is there any benefit to this stuff because I could be a really good cyano farmer :)

Here's to building a bigger and better reef as I enter year two of the hobby. It feels like I've been doing it for years but I know I have a lot to learn and I do feel I have a lot of knowledge to impart on others and isn't that what great forums like CTARS are all about. By the way I posted a picture below of the finished rock. I really wish I took a before because you couldn't even recognize these rocks.

a5316e48f78d1290f5bb32d38fc5f4b2.jpg

8e67a95cb132ac68a48ce1a5acd67460.jpg

OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh nice! You guys are so lucky to be a team.
My ex actually wanted to start a hobby we could do together and I fell in love with it and she "like the pretty fish" haha. Have you ever done one before? I was amazed how well it worked. Just have baking soda on hand in case you spill it or get it on you and of course do it outside. I did mine in a 5 gallon bucket that I put in a 30gallon tote to contain any of it. The ones I scrubbed in hot water first to get the big stuff off came out better. I fell asleep with the last ones outside and was afraid I was going to wake up to no rocks but eventually the calcium or whatever in the rock neutralizes all the acid. I felt like on breaking bad when they dissolve bodies. It got me thinking I wonder what else this could be used for, rusty tools? Gummed up equipment?

sassAwrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have some big rubbermaid totes we will use.

Ha.. I say we for everything, but HE will be the one cooking the rock. Lol

OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Home Depot has Muriatic acid for $7.98 for like a gallon. Two were enough for me to do all my rocks. I should have just used the totes because I could only fit so many in the 5g bucket and I feel like if you can kind of stir them it will help out.

How do you make them reef safe again?

sassAwrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Home Depot has Muriatic acid for $7.98 for like a gallon. Two were enough for me to do all my rocks. I should have just used the totes because I could only fit so many in the 5g bucket and I feel like if you can kind of stir them it will help out.

How do you make them reef safe again?

I could be wrong but I think after you neutralize the acid, you give them a good RO bath/soak and they should be good to go.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back