Muriatic Acid

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you think you need to bring the alk down fast instead of just allowing it to drift down?

Yes, that is a suitable product, but it is more dilute than full strength muriatic acid so needs a bit more. They promote the lower concentration as a benefit for you (low fumes), which may be true, but it also costs them less. :D

OP
OP
P

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm transitioning everything over to a new tank that I used IO salt on. I'd like to try and match the alkilinity between the two. I haven't actually measured the dkh on the IO yet but I assume its more than the 9 dkh that I shoot for. Once I do measure it, any tips on a starting point point to lower it since I got the weaker version?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normal muriatic acid is about 35% HCl. Check the label and see what it is. Likely something in the 20's (say, 28). then adjust upward by the ratio 36/28 = 1.29.

For normal muriatic acid,

Be very careful with straight muriatic acid. It can easily burn you, especially your eyes.

The "acidity" (that being essentially negative alkalinity) of full strength muriatic acid straight from the bottle is about 11,000 meq/L.

So adding 1/11,000 of the water volume as this acid will drop alkalinity by 1 meq/l (2.8 dKH).

That sounds like a good dose.

You'll need to aerate well after adding the acid to blow off the excess CO2 and bring up the pH.
smile.gif

OP
OP
P

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normal muriatic acid is about 35% HCl. Check the label and see what it is. Likely something in the 20's (say, 28). then adjust upward by the ratio 36/28 = 1.29.

For normal muriatic acid,

Be very careful with straight muriatic acid. It can easily burn you, especially your eyes.

The "acidity" (that being essentially negative alkalinity) of full strength muriatic acid straight from the bottle is about 11,000 meq/L.

So adding 1/11,000 of the water volume as this acid will drop alkalinity by 1 meq/l (2.8 dKH).

That sounds like a good dose.

You'll need to aerate well after adding the acid to blow off the excess CO2 and bring up the pH.
smile.gif

Thanks Randy. Oddly enough I couldn't find the strength on the bottle but the website says "Strength 10° baume (15.725%)." No wonder it has bad reviews saying its too weak. At that strength, what do you think? It's for about 180 gallons of water volume.

cwk84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long would the mix need to be aerated to get the pH up? I changed from Red Sea Pro to Reef Crystals and the dkH is off the charts at 35ppt. I want to bring it down some.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back