Mushroom ID: Orange Rhodactis? Superman? Other? TIA

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, I’ve ID’d most of the critters in my tank but none of the mushrooms! I have the most of these gorgeous orange ones on a blue/ purple background, and the closest I could find online was superman or orange rhodactis (depending on the pic…). All pics were under blues online so I went with that here too… any thoughts as to one or the other? Any other possible suggestions? Many thanks in advance for sharing your time & knowledge! :)
IMG_6731.jpeg

OP
OP
TinyReefObsession

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like a regular rhodactis to me.
Thanks for your reply! Sorry, total newbie here, but what’s a regular rhodactis? … I thought rhodactis was the type of mushroom, and then there’s a bunch of sub types… but i’ve just been trying to google my way to an answer so far! :)

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks for your reply! Sorry, total newbie here, but what’s a regular rhodactis? … I thought rhodactis was the type of mushroom, and then there’s a bunch of sub types… but i’ve just been trying to google my way to an answer so far! :)
rhodactis is the morph, the family being corallimorpharia. example: honda is the make(family), accord is the model(morph).

what i meant by "regular rhodactics" is that it seems like a generic morph. common.

OP
OP
TinyReefObsession

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rhodactis is the morph, the family being corallimorpharia. example: honda is the make(family), accord is the model(morph).

what i meant by "regular rhodactics" is that it seems like a generic morph. common.
Ooooh!! Ok thank you! I initially thought rhodactis was a much more general term. Appreciate the clarification :)

OP
OP
TinyReefObsession

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rodactis is the genera. These are just common rhodactis. Grow like a weed.
Under just blues can look nice.
Lol thank you! They ARE growing like a weed! I was already out of space and then 2 split, and now 3 more are in the process! :oops: Need to make a donation to my LFS or start handing them out!:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

OP
OP
TinyReefObsession

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taxonomy goes: family : genus : species : morphs.
Morphs are sub and sub sub groups of species
Thanks for this! I love them, I think they’re gorgeous under whites or blues- but for some reason the orange is all that photographs well; the light blue, purple, pink, sometimes green, etc backgrounds just seem to disappear in photos lol

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back