Mushroom split ?

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I’ve had this puppy for about 6 months now and she has no sign of splitting anytime soon and has outgrown its plate. It’s almost 2” across

It’s a Deadpool mushroom , I did notice a little kink in the outter today though. Is this a sign of a split and do I need to provide plates around the mushroom to help it locate

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately discosomas dont split like that. Atleast in my 10 year history of keeping them.

when a mushroom splits naturally, it will pinch all the way to the mouth. Then pull itself away. These reproduce by pedal lasceration.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It moved, and its leaving a piece of itself behind, the main body is stretching away from the piece left behind. Thats how Discoma reproduce, not a true split down the middle like you see on Ricordea's.

If you want them to reproduce quickly, you can aim a powerhead at it, it will move away from the direct flow, and leave little babies behind it

OP
OP
radreef02

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It moved, and its leaving a piece of itself behind, the main body is stretching away from the piece left behind. Thats how Discoma reproduce, not a true split down the middle like you see on Ricordea's.

If you want them to reproduce quickly, you can aim a powerhead at it, it will move away from the direct flow, and leave little babies behind it

Kind of hard to find a dead spot in my tank. Is it best to put these things behind a rock with the most dead flow ?

RRA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way you describe is not the way they reproduce.

Can you lift up the “umbrella?

For me the area that is attached to the rock is what split commonly called the “Foot” it will slowly start to pinch itself off until it leavs a little smooth nub that looks nothing like mother which slowly starts to build texture like the mother as one or the other moves away from the other into it’s own light. A natural split like I describe is painfully slow. There are ways to make it faster or unnatural also.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back