Mushroom Toxins help

ESox3412

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured this was the best place to get a straight answer instead of google. Can mushroom corals release a toxin that you can breathe in and would be harmful to you?

Situation
----------
I had some hair algae on some rocks and have read on other forums success on putting the rocks in a bucket of water with a power head and heater if coral was on the rocks. So I tried a couple of bad ones that only had a couple of mushrooms on them put the lid on and let the dark out period go, and it worked great 100% of the algae wrong just took more than a couple of days. So with having that sucess I traded put to another couple rocks that were covered in red mushrooms that I planned on taking to the lfs still with a heater and powerhead. Today when we came home there was a bad smell in the house when we came home, with the weather we've had our windows opens quit a bit so we thought it was an outside smell so ignored it. With the smell still lingering we took out what little trash we had thinking maybe something in there, and still didn't get rid of it. Well my wife said she smelled it atong by the tank, and of course I go on the defense saying that smell was nothing with the tank, and ignored it. Then I checked out the tank and I smelled it there, then checked the bucket and the water was conpletely cloudy now with sluge floating on the top and like an idiot bent down a took a big whiff of it and bingo that was it. So I immediately took it outside got gloves and a masked and poured it over the ditch and noticed not a single mushroom left on the rock. I'm guessing maybe they got stressed and released their toxin and with the small water volume to wiped it all out or it spiked the levels something. But the main question is do they have anything that could be released airborne kinda like a palytoxin when boiled. Thank you to anyone that can help me out.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back