Mushrooms and KH

KM Wrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys

Mushroom Corals should not care about kh since they are softies....however, everytime I raise my KH slowly to 10 up from 8.5 for SPS growth I will get shrooms that detach and the others don’t expand as much either. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks for your help.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your nutrient numbers.. NO3 & PO4? Not just shrooms buy my whole tank starts suffering if I push up alk because I have ULN conditions.. I just settled on keeping alk in the mid to high 7's

OP
OP
KM Wrasse

KM Wrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your nutrient numbers.. NO3 & PO4? Not just shrooms buy my whole tank starts suffering if I push up alk because I have ULN conditions.. I just settled on keeping alk in the mid to high 7's
I don’t run ULN... actually I run it a little more “dirty”... no3 = 5. PO4 .05-.1.00
I find at those levels the colors are awesome. . When I ran GFO like crazy my green slimer looked More like a beige slimer
My shrooms have adjusted to to the higher KH .. I’m keeping it at around 10.... I had a few detach but now they seem to be Stable. In the past when I changed KH ... same problem.. so lesson learned... have to move it slower I think
Thanks for the reply

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following currently I'm going to have to get back to this one.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious.

I dose manually once a week in my 90g DT. My alk gets down to 6.5 or 7.0 dKH. I manually dose it back up to 9.0 dKH. Usually in one shot of Randy's Recipe using a pool supply's soda ash. The tank is mostly zoas, but there are other softies including some muchrooms and some lps and sps as well. I see the polyps retract on some of the sps corals and in just a minute or two, they are back out and looking perfectly normal. None of the other corals show any reaction at all.

OP
OP
KM Wrasse

KM Wrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a pretty big Kh swing all at once ..just. be careful with the SPS so they don’t get stressed out... I use Seachem reef carbonate to maintain Kh. I put approx 45 ml per gallon of water in my top off water.(I have a 93 gallon DT) So everytime my ATO goes off it doses some alk. This way the Kh stays very stable... I adjust it slightly as the seasons change but very easy to keep it steady. Also the carbonate Will not affect calcium like a two part will. I use ESV B-ionic calcium as my CA supplement as well... that I just add to the DT...about once a week to keep the CA around 450
Thanks

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a pretty big Kh swing all at once ..just. be careful with the SPS so they don’t get stressed out... I use Seachem reef carbonate to maintain Kh. I put approx 45 ml per gallon of water in my top off water.(I have a 93 gallon DT) So everytime my ATO goes off it doses some alk. This way the Kh stays very stable... I adjust it slightly as the seasons change but very easy to keep it steady. Also the carbonate Will not affect calcium like a two part will. I use ESV B-ionic calcium as my CA supplement as well... that I just add to the DT...about once a week to keep the CA around 450
Thanks

I've been doing this for 3 or 4 years now and it hasn't been an issue. I even watch the forest fire digi pull in it's polyps on the side where I'm adding tha soda ash into a wavemaker. But in less than 2 minutes they are back out and looking normal.

I never really considered adding alk to the top off water. But now my top off water feeds 2 different tanks and the 16g RFA breeding tank really doesn't use half as much ask as the 90g DT. I have a dosing pump that I used on a bigger sps tank in the past. But until I see more negative reactions, it's easier to do manually.

OP
OP
KM Wrasse

KM Wrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As they say... if ain’t broke don’t fix it! One thing I’ve learned... there are soooo many ways to keep a successful reef tank. I’m glad yours is doing well. Keep on doin what your doin! I have really simplified everything (Used to be an additive junkie) now that I stopped messin with the water every ten min ...my tank has never looked better. Thanks for your reply

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 43 51.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.6%
Back