Mushrooms are bleached

AquaOps1223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers

This is Jose at Aqua-Ops and want to seek some advice from you mushroom heads. We have a few mushrooms that are bleached in one of the display tanks. The actions taht have taken the last couple months has been the following:

-less light
-less flow
-more light
-more flow
-dipped in iodine, chemi clean, coral rx
-does chemiclean in the system

And no luck : (

But did move them to a different system, the OG is recovering but the other few are not.. Please keep in mind that other mushrooms are doing great in the system... Also, lost a couple to being so small that they completely melted. On another note the acros are doing amazing..

Do they need dirtier water? lol

Current parameters in new system (mixed reef, most LPS)

Phosphates .04
Nitrates 6
Alk 8.22
CA 440
Mag 1318
PH 8.08
temp 77.9
Salinity 35.4

Current parameters in old system (heavy SPS, some LPS)

Phosphates .03
Nitrates 5.7
Alk 8.39
CA 456
Mag 1321
PH 8.1
temp 78.1
Salinity 35.5

Any pointers?

Here are some pics to see the bleaching...Also pics of the ones that are doing good.

IMG_1470.jpg IMG_1471.jpg IMG_1472.jpg IMG_1473.jpg IMG_1477.jpg IMG_1476.jpg IMG_1475.jpg IMG_1474.jpg

Last edited:

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers

This is Jose at Aqua-Ops and want to seek some advice from you mushroom heads. We have a few mushrooms that are bleached in one of the display tanks. The actions taht have taken the last couple months has been the following:

-less light
-less flow
-more light
-more flow

But did move them to a different system, the OG is recovering but the other few are not.. Please keep in mind that other mushrooms are doing great in the system... Also, lost a couple to being so small that they completely melted. On another note the acros are doing amazing..

Phosphates .04
Nitrates 6
Alk 8.22
CA 440
Mag 1318
PH 8.08
temp 77.9
Salinity 35.4

Phosphates .03
Nitrates 5.7
Alk 8.39
CA 456
Mag 1321
PH 8.1
temp 78.1
Salinity 35.5

Any pointers?

Here are some pics to see the bleaching...Also pics of the ones that are doing good.

IMG_1470.jpg IMG_1471.jpg IMG_1472.jpg IMG_1473.jpg IMG_1477.jpg IMG_1476.jpg IMG_1475.jpg IMG_1474.jpg
Sorry to see this. To be completely honest I had this exact same thing run through all of my rhodactis and completely wipe out my bounce and rhodactis collection.
Tried dipping in every medication I had on hand or could source.
Same symptoms, same look. Dump zooxanthellae, started bleaching and bam they all eventually melted.
Whats interesting is it appears all your params are at acceptable levels. Have they been kept stabile?
I was at a loss and still am. I was attributing mine to alk or some kind of other nutrient crash but perhaps that wasn't it after seeing yours.
I had and still kind of do have a running theory that perhaps there was some chemical warfare happening between my rhodactis.
Have you seen any kind of events happen where everyone will be perfectly fine and all of the sudden a cpl will shrink up and dump zooaxnthelle at some time? I noticed 3 events like this and that's what had me leaning towards warfare.

Hows your mag running? My shroom only lagoon burns up to 120 a week.

Can you send in icp testing for this system? I never had a chance to but would rule out my theory of nutrient deficiency on some level that can possibly be corrected.
I have only a cpl theories left..
If its not chemical warfare than it has to be some sort of deficiency.
If its not any of those 2 it has to be pathogen we haven't found correct medication to treat with yet. That somehow only rhodactis are not immune to.

Whats crazy is i have several different species of shrooms and only my rhodactis where effected by whatever it is.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers

-less light
-less flow
-more light
-more flow

Phosphates .04
Nitrates 6
Alk 8.22
CA 440
Mag 1318
PH 8.08
temp 77.9
Salinity 35.4

Phosphates .03
Nitrates 5.7
Alk 8.39
CA 456
Mag 1321
PH 8.1
temp 78.1
Salinity 35.5

Any pointers?

I wanted to get back to a cpl things for when you get back to this.
I mentioned if you have seen any kind of events with all or a cpl shrooms deflating and expelling zooxanthellae.
When I seen these events occur it was directly associated with my skimmers going crazy and overflowing on me. Have you noticed anything wierd with your skimmers here and there? I don't know what could have possibly made that happen other than possible warfare happening. Everything is perfectly fine. Cpl would deflate and expel and skimmers would overflow right around that time.
Another thing you can do that im definetely going to do if I ever run into this again is contact @AquaBiomics and coordinate sending an affected shroom and see if it shows known harmful or high levels of unknown pathogen. Along with icp testing.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suspect a genotype specific response to bacteria.

Back