Mushrooms melting

VinTheFin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Hello, I had a few mushrooms melt randomly and I just can’t find anything similar to my problem. They’re all getting a white/clear slime or jelly like substance. My interstellar mushroom got it and it was coming out of the mouth. Within 48 hours it was gone. Then half of my green bounce mushroom got it, so I threw it out. Now, my tri color mushroom has it and it’s coming out of the foot. I just don’t know what’s happening. I also have an OG bounce and Frankenstein mushroom I’d really like nothing to happen to. I’m running carbon rox from BRS, I don’t dose anything but alk. No algae problem, no parasites that I can see. Parameters have been very stable for the past year (tank is like 2 yrs old) and read

PO3 .09 Hanna
Nitrate 25 Salifert
Alk 8.5 Hanna
Calcium 450 salifert
Mag 1300 Hanna
10% weekly water changes and I never miss
45gallon

I don’t know what else I can do or try to do. I moved my tri color off the sand bed and onto my frag rack on the side of the tank so it has very low flow and lighting. At my sand bed where it was, it only got 60-70 PAR. It’s now in about 40-50 PAR. Should I try to dip it? If so in what?

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hello, I had a few mushrooms melt randomly and I just can’t find anything similar to my problem. They’re all getting a white/clear slime or jelly like substance. My interstellar mushroom got it and it was coming out of the mouth. Within 48 hours it was gone. Then half of my green bounce mushroom got it, so I threw it out. Now, my tri color mushroom has it and it’s coming out of the foot. I just don’t know what’s happening. I also have an OG bounce and Frankenstein mushroom I’d really like nothing to happen to. I’m running carbon rox from BRS, I don’t dose anything but alk. No algae problem, no parasites that I can see. Parameters have been very stable for the past year (tank is like 2 yrs old) and read

PO3 .09 Hanna
Nitrate 25 Salifert
Alk 8.5 Hanna
Calcium 450 salifert
Mag 1300 Hanna
10% weekly water changes and I never miss
45gallon

I don’t know what else I can do or try to do. I moved my tri color off the sand bed and onto my frag rack on the side of the tank so it has very low flow and lighting. At my sand bed where it was, it only got 60-70 PAR. It’s now in about 40-50 PAR. Should I try to dip it? If so in what?
Check salinity. When I have troubles with them it is typically related to high salinity.

OP
OP
V

VinTheFin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Check salinity. When I have troubles with them it is typically related to high salinity.
Salinity is 1.026. I test every Monday and recalibrate my Hanna salinity tester before testing and 10% WC. I have decided to dose chemiclean at this point, I found a few ppl using it for a general bacteria disinfectant. I have a large selection of torches and hammers so, BJD is ruled out imo

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any photos of this 'jelly' substance, I have multiple mushrooms and have seen white stringy stuff (guts/intestines) come out of Thier mouths when unhappy but never seen it from Thier foot?
Can I also ask what shrimp or crabs you have please, I had a shrimp demolish my newly introduced mushroom during the night

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity is 1.026. I test every Monday and recalibrate my Hanna salinity tester before testing and 10% WC. I have decided to dose chemiclean at this point, I found a few ppl using it for a general bacteria disinfectant. I have a large selection of torches and hammers so, BJD is ruled out imo
Probably not a wise move. Chemiclean will kill good bacteria also messing up your biome and opening the door for other worse problems.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any photos of this 'jelly' substance, I have multiple mushrooms and have seen white stringy stuff (guts/intestines) come out of Thier mouths when unhappy but never seen it from Thier foot?
Can I also ask what shrimp or crabs you have please, I had a shrimp demolish my newly introduced mushroom during the night
That happens to mine to. A person I buy corals from told me when you want to cut them and not sure where the mouth is to rub at it and that stuff comes out. Maybe a fish or a snail or something got on it and rubbed it or something.

I had my frankenstein that was huge loose all of flesh down the middle. Make me wonder now that my fighting conch or 1 astrea I have maybe ate it!

It hasnt been the same since. It used to eat like a pig and now wont eat and its shrinking or maybe just not opening every day now.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back