OP
MVargasPhotography

MVargasPhotography

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome,

You obviously have some knowledge on settings when it comes to pictures. I have a canon EOS 60D, with a 18-55mm lens at 67mm. Would you be willing to share some tips on getting an epic shot like the one you posted? I have been playing with my white balance but I know there is more I can be doing. What kind of light metering do you use? I'd love to pick your brain about it, if you are willing to allow it.

Sorry replied to the wrong person.
White balance is important but in my situation it's all a variable because every tank I photograph is set up differently and not every coral requires the same setting. Everything constantly changes. best advice I can give you is shoot in 15k, the bluer you go the more you'll have to balance that out with warmer colors via filter or post processing.

Kayotic5011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry replied to the wrong person.
White balance is important but in my situation it's all a variable because every tank I photograph is set up differently and not every coral requires the same setting. Everything constantly changes. best advice I can give you is shoot in 15k, the bluer you go the more you'll have to balance that out with warmer colors via filter or post processing.
Lol np, Thank you for your reply.I'm using a Canon EOS 60D which is a higher end dslr and a good one at that. Its not much different from a Nikon except for button placement and a couple functions, adjustments should all be the same things between the two, just implemented different im sure. I'm learning about my white balance more and more, do you find it better to shoot in raw when adjusting white balance? I know its a good format to shoot in for post processing your images but what about for the cameras sake of taking the image?

You have some amazing images, you do amazing work with that camera. I hope one day I take images like yours.....Here is one of my best images to date. Its got no post processing except for the black border around the image and I cropped it a little. All other setting were done through the camera. I call it my krypto raisin, but its a platygyra

Platygyra aka (maze brain coral) 1.jpg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

DocTock993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Kayotic5011 and anyone else feeling a bit "inadequate" regarding your own images - DON'T feel that way!
It is not easy to get images that look like the gorgeous shots MVargas has shared.

I'm going to guess that MVargas is using some enhancement techniques to get the florescence that you are seeing.
You need a source (light/ strobe) that excites the florescence, then you need a barrier filter in front of your lens.
http://www.nightsea.com/articles/barrier-filter/

In addition, I'm guessing there's some snoot lighting along with extremely small apertures.
The clarity is incredible and I also wonder if the images are from shooting through a aquarium glass or if the camera is housed and shooting underwater.

On top of all the technique aspects, I'm also guessing there's a bit of "post processing"/ image manipulation going on - it would be really interesting to see the original .RAW files.

Kayotic5011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Kayotic5011 and anyone else feeling a bit "inadequate" regarding your own images - DON'T feel that way!
It is not easy to get images that look like the gorgeous shots MVargas has shared.
I Feel I'm getting closer to my goal of images like that....but I also dont feel close enough in the sense there is so much to learn. I'll never give up, I dont know how lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back