my 100 gallon I switched sump for 2 FX canisters and HOB skimmer

jvbear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting a 100g. So far I only have live rock and live sand for six months now. I have a 12 g with duncan frags, carpet anemone, 2 clownfish and just got a yellowtail damsel I want to transfer to the 100g. However I have a very old and noisy overflow sump. I can't find anyone to drill glass (not sure if tempered or not) and looking for other options. Considering a FX6 Fluval canister filter, but not sure if I can use a protein skimmer with it. I like having crystal clear looking water. Any suggestions? What is your experience? I am loving my corals and want more!

IMG_3828.jpeg IMG_3826.jpeg IMG_3824.jpeg

OP
OP
jvbear

jvbear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_3952.jpeg
    IMG_3952.jpeg
    146 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3953.jpeg
    IMG_3953.jpeg
    184.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3954.jpeg
    IMG_3954.jpeg
    205 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3955.jpeg
    IMG_3955.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 33

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are you thinking that your sump with a skimmer, socks? foam pads? water changes etc can’t keep your tank clean? It’s been years but I once had an overflow box on my 120g, it was a little noisy. But it worked until I got a drilled tank. Fluval FX6s are decent filters. I’m very familiar with them. Just cleaned one for a customer yesterday. It sounds like you’re wanting it to clear up your water. So here are two suggestions that seriously cleared up my water. 1. ChemiPure Blue when I started using it made a nice and noticeable difference. I started that practice years ago. Haven’t stopped. 2. A UV Sterilizer. Clears your water amazingly!!! Save your 100s of dollars on the FX6 and get yourself an Aqua UV Sterilizer and a jar (one bag) of ChemiPure Blue for half that price.

OP
OP
jvbear

jvbear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got rid of the sump with noisy overflow and replaced with both FX4 and an FX2 with HOB skimmer. Some of my corals are getting hard and dying. I sent water test to ICP and magnesium was low so I added some, but is this some disease? I've list a zoa and 2 duncans already. I added Dinkins copapods. what should I do?
IMG_1131.jpeg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back