My 120g AquaJapan Mixed reef

Amantijt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be my first build only because before it wasn't really builds just testing to see if i could sustain this hobby with a little bit of success. I've been in it for a little over a year now. I have recently upgraded from an 80 gallon shallow used tank to a bigger 120 4x2x2 brand new. This will be a review of the 120g I received from AquaCave.com and my experiences with the tank and the whole process. First off I want to start it with a buyers beware. I understand I probably picked one of the worst times to buy something that had to be shipped via freight. But for the price I was ready to deal with the time frame mostly. AquaCave seems to have decent deals and is kinda misleading with what they put on their page to get people to buy. I bought the tank and it says clearly usually ships in 24-48 hours. That couldn't be more false, i know Covid and all that it wasn't going to happen but i didn't expect to wait 2 months for a tank and also be strung along by the company and the freight company. Aqua Cave/Aqua Japan are pretty sub par when it comes to customer service and info, giving false info or just not knowing anything about the product they are selling on their website. In my opinion and as much as I like the tank I would never buy something along these lines from them ever again from my ill experience and lack of care attitude with no valid answers and no resolve on their part. I called and was giving them constructive criticism to only benefit them and let them know my experience after receiving the tank they didn't really seem to have many answers for me or seemed to really care at all. When I asked valid questions on their process and lack of knowledge on this tank I only received excuse after excuse with no thought for correction. But they tried to redeem themselves and fell short. After being given false info from a sales person they did help with a couple of filter socks and some bulkhead fittings which I was told to measure and to be exact to ensure getting the correct fittings because they don't have those tanks locally. I sent those measurements to only be sent the wrong drain fitting but was ensured it was correct after telling them that the fitting was too large, I received it and it was what i said too large. So good luck to them with their company and hope this little tidbit reaches the correct people if ever needed about them and this specific tank.

The stand shows up in a box, when you purchase this tank it gives you an option for emailed instructions, its because they DO NOT send you any instruction on anything for tank or stand. Well I happened to forget that after 2 months of waiting and received those after I put the stand together by myself with no instructions. I did read them after that fact to only notice that everything was supposed to be labeled and it wasn't so it would have only confused me further. There is a ton of hardware but used only about half of it. The plastic door pop was cheap and broken when i received it. I went and got better metal door pops and just cut my loss there. The stand is cheap material and was honestly hoping for a bit better quality for the price, its the MDF pressed wood you'd get from like IKEA a step up from Walmart type cheap cabinetry. It says the stand is waterproof but to clean spills immediately to only be told its water resistant not water proof by the AquaCave ( again don't know what they are selling). Stand is sturdy with a black leveling mat and does the job, doesn't look bad but is probably one reason this tank is on the cheaper side. Overall does the job just hoping after the many water changes it doesn't turn into a sponge and drop the tank like a quarter through wet TP lol.

Now to the actual tank part, tank got shipped took 2 weeks which sucked but showed up in one piece on a pallet not covered by anything. Was just covered in plastic wrapping packing material stacked up on top of eachother. So i made sure to inspect thoroughly. To my amazement it didn't seem to have any issues even with the lack of protective packing. I couldn't be more happy that it showed up flawless. So we got it moved in and that evening i started buying materials to plumb the tank. I have never actually messed with pvc or anything so i did my best and what i thought was most logical to me and yes there are some ways i could have done it better realizing after the fact. After fighting to find the correct bulkhead i got lucky enough and found one ONLY ONE I swear its the only one in the whole world. 1 1/4" for some reason is hard to come by apparently so If you are doing plumbing or drilling a tank go with 1 1/2' or 1" in my opinion to make it easier on yourself. I had no choice the tank info was listed wrong and hole was not to spec. Never the less first day i did the plumbing return first because it was going to be the most challenging. It looks a little unorthodox but we made it happen. Drain was simple and was way easier took a total of 10 mins for that. Now with the drain bulkhead it wasn't slip x slip like everything else it is threaded x threaded so the whole reason i didn't want to go threaded...it now seeps. Its been going for about 24 hours now and I notice a small drop accumulating at the drain elbow luckily it doesn't drip on my stand it goes into the sump but I will be addressing that issue in the near future but after 2 days of filling and transferring everything Ill let it go till the next weekend lol. The tank is super thick and looks really good only complaint i have on the tank is the "euro bracing" is a little uneven in certain areas but thats about it for gripes on the tank. Now for the sump...its basic, it works, its not the biggest, and just glass no tune ability or anything along those lines to make using certain equipment that much easier. The glue in the sump for the 7" filter socks is week seems to bend quite easy and the filter socks touch and dont sit flat on the holders so that sucks im sure im going to break that in the future.

Well that ends my "first build" and a review of it and my eperiences tried not to ramble so much. Still frustrated a little but it looks good and hope it stays looking good.
Thanks

F9141DFC-6EE8-4CE6-89DD-05B2B0F545C5.jpeg A1C7E915-C397-4055-9C59-1655351DEF3E.jpeg 7032CF36-64EB-4EB8-A89A-505EDEA3CBE1.jpeg 6BC1AE14-F460-4DD4-96A6-EC77C6C2258C.jpeg E9D983D5-6183-44E0-92C4-0B753C6EE1E8.jpeg 6199C353-EE0C-49A9-B5D4-C0731953FD15.jpeg B9077BB2-8721-4A58-91FA-0AF373DFED25.jpeg B505B919-79E6-4BEB-A696-B46C1A9A3AB6.jpeg

Last edited:

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the frustration and challenges but it already looks sharp!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back