my 125 gallon journey

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will take.. a LONG time to come through, but I've seen other tank build threads take a long time too.

I don't have much in the way of eye candy yet.. just a few pics I'll throw up over time.

Anyway-I'll start at the beginning.

Hello, I'm Jodi, and I'm an addic... wait, wrong place :D

When I was a kid back in the 80's and 90's, I grew up on a farm with exotic animals thanks to my dad. And also thanks to my dad, he kept fish. Well, a few fish. We of course had the shiners we kept in the horse trough for fishing. But he did have a 29 gallon with angels in the kitchen. He eventually 'upgraded' to piranhas. Super fun watching them tear apart those shiners from the horse trough!!!

When I went to college (at this point I was a single mom in 2002) I decided, since I couldn't have any pets other than a fish tank-to get into reef. So my first reef tank was a 55 gallon with a 250 watt metal halide, hob skimmer, couple of maxijets, some LPS, and flasher wrasses. I eventually went through and got clowns too! Oh, and I had amazing luck with RBTA's then too.

Moved out of the apartment, got a seahorse tank. 35 gallon hex. The horsies didn't make it due to buying cheap, net-raised sri-lanka... yeah, it went bad. Poor little guys.

Gave up for a few years, came back in '06 or so with a 75 gallon. I also had my now youngest son then, I stopped caring for the tank, it crashed by 2008 or so.

Came back in '10 with a 25 gallon cube. It was an awesome tank. Ecoxotic panorama fit perfect over it-when LEDs were new and although I bought top of the line, come to find out that 1 watt leds will NOT light much more than softies and low-light lps. It WAS a rather nice tank though.

Upgraded to a 75, broke up with my long-term boyfriend, moved out and bought my very own house~! The 75 did move with me, all was good (did have some sps loss during the move, and lost my amazing clam-heater malfunctioned in the holding buckets when I had to leave it all in the tubs overnight) Less than 8 months later, my tank broke. Literally. I own a trailer house, and when 35+ gallons of water ended up on the floor I kinda gave up. It was a bad day when that happened. The bottom glass panel on my tank gave out, pouring half my tank on the floor before I got home-it soaked into the carpet, into the crappy wood the floors are made out of... Very bad day. I quickly threw the survivors into a small 16 gallon I had sitting around, sold almost everything off... This all happened in 2013.

Come 2015. I'm now married. My living room is completely vinyl tiled (although where the tank is going I'm going to completely redo the tiles-some of them are torn, and I don't want the new plywood floor getting soaked)

In November I found a craigslist post. 125 gallon for $200. Yup, I had the itch and I scratched.

Its still empty. I am more or less refusing to drill the tank. Yes, I know I COULD. But I am NOT.
I still have my Reefkeeper lite and my RO/DI (5 stage) from before. Everything else will be bought new.

Specs:
125 gallon oceanic tank. 72x18x24 (already owned)
30 gallon 'stock tank' sump. Yeah, the black rubberish kind that people use to water animals.

...and that's all I've gotten so far. :D Oh, my salt came in the mail today. IO reef crystals.

Planning out the pvc overflow (as seen here: )

I'm definitely going full LED. Black Boxing it. Most likely the SBlights, but I'm still shopping around, since that will be the biggest single purchase for my tank.

Oh, and by February I will have the stand all sanded down, re-stained, and new accents on it. My husband and I both have a love for steampunk, so that's what I'm going for. Old fashioned, fake-metal accents. Hopefully it will look like what's in my head when I'm done.

And shadowbox instead of fully-painted back. I'm still working on the background for that.

Anyway, Pictures, right?!?! I have one. Of the back in its fancy frosted blue-ness:

DSCN1464.JPG

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome and glad to have you here!

OP
OP
Lowstorm

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this weeks project is getting the sump under the tank. I have to rotate the back supports outwards. Shouldn't destroy the integrity of the stand much. >.< Okay, its the stand that comes with these tanks, and its so SO cheaply made, I can't believe that it hold the empty tank up, much less when its full. When I got the tank it WAS full, it was being used for a koi, and a few little sucker fish, which are now in my son's 16 gallon FW tank. The koi went to a local friend's pond.

So, another pic! Todays picture is my sump and skimmer 'chamber'. :D Of course the metal will be chopped off the skimmer bucket. I have to also make holes in it about 9 inches up for when I get the skimmer. Maybe by February I'll actually have water!!!!

DSCN1481.JPG

OP
OP
Lowstorm

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and yes-I did mention I have to retile that area. And fix the drywall hole from when the 75 gallon broke. See that hole in the drywall? Yeah, I have been lazy. I'll have that done next week, maybe the week after.

OP
OP
Lowstorm

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Shadowbox Project

Well, its not truly a 'shadowbox' since I'm not making a box. What I've done so far is frosted the back glass, and I'm making a background using posterboard and foam shapes I'm cutting out. I tested it out today using my very very old blue stunner strips. Here's a pic or ten of what they look like.

Top, back: Being held up via velcro strips, the stunners are just hanging out for now
DSCN1486_zpszufpvohn.jpg

from the side. Check out my totally awesome sump lol:
DSCN1485_zps2rqe59zl.jpg

Here's a 'front' shot, all of this is natural sunlight. I know for sure I'll need to get white, and likely brighter lights than these tiny stunners. And omg the tank is dirty! very very dirty...:
DSCN1484_zpskv9rmnw3.jpg

Okay, honestly it doesn't look TOO bad. Maybe too bright. I was trying to make it 'pop' out more so that it looks like there's a field of depth to it, brighter being closer. Can you see it through my reflection? lol.
DSCN1483_zpsyruoe7bu.jpg

OP
OP
Lowstorm

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time .... kinda. I started my child labor force. The stand got sanded down. It looks really nice honestly. I posted a single tease in a giveaway but here it is again and some more.

IMG_20160126_174041_kindlephoto-147408380_zpscmipwbyk.jpg

Photobucket is failing for the rest... soooo here's the rest. Had to upload them instead. And yes, thats my foot in a warm, comfy sock

IMG_20160126_175710.jpg

IMG_20160126_175659_kindlephoto-148360085.jpg

OP
OP
Lowstorm

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh. Floor is tiled. Tanks been leveled. Friday is going to be the day i order marco rocks, sand, and pumps. Gotta cut pipe and paint it black too. That involves more child labor.

Oh, and a trip to hobby lobby for more crafting supplies. Can't forget that!!!

OP
OP
Lowstorm

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel sorry for my usps guy...

Marco rock and sand ordered today! WOOHOO!!!!!

4 boxes of sand.... All on my usps guy. I do truly feel bad about that. At least in my area they have 1 guy delivering boxes, and another one with the normal mail.

Fedex has to deal with the big ole box o rock. I don't feel so bad about that one. They get paid more, right? ha!

OP
OP
Lowstorm

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband said the sand reminds him of key largo sand. Rock is projected to be here Wednesday

IMG_20160201_165133.jpg

OP
OP
Lowstorm

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats my 9 year old. Everyones afraid of me actually putting him in the tank. Scardy cats

IMG_20160201_165142.jpg

OP
OP
Lowstorm

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So issues. Glass is foggy. Hopefully its not too obvious wet. I don't want to buff the scratches out with a chemical or anything.

And i need to test my plumbing but dont have my return pump yet. Or a big enough bin to test it in.

OP
OP
Lowstorm

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wet!!!

Heh. Rocks came in today. My other helper helped unpack them. Meet Buddy, my 31 yr old blue and gold macaw.

IMG_20160203_143047.jpg

Bonus points if you noticed the platy tank in the window. Moved it there and the plants are doing way better in sunlight.

Diy pvc overflow failed. Ordering eshopps 1200 next week, with a skimmer maybe. Bit by bit its coming together. 20ish gallons of water made and in tank. Rocks in tank. Don't want to say I'm trully cycling yet because i dont have a powerhead in there yet... not enough water to keep it from creating a bigger milkshake than is already in there. I did rinse some of the marco sand but its so fine!!! Just going to be careful with it.

Last edited:

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, can't wait to see your tank stocked. Love your helpers. :)!

OP
OP
Lowstorm

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband says I need more rock. Thinking of getting 20 lbs of nice lr, but i really don't want the pests. Heres a quick shot, sorry about the reflection from the far window. I love columns and arches. If i do get more rock I'm going to fill in the middle area. May just get more marco rocks in the end.

IMG_20160204_100041.jpg

OP
OP
Lowstorm

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, theres another column on the right you cannot see. I didn't want to stand up from my super comfy chair

OP
OP
Lowstorm

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing the math its going to be about $1500 more for lights/skimmer and various other things. Slow but steady. Don't tell my husband. He only knows about the lights lol!!!!

OP
OP
Lowstorm

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had some fun at hobby lobby.

Oh... lights, skimmer, etc ordered!!! All thats left to do is finish my cycle and finish the plumbing and set the lights up when the arrive.

IMG_20160210_162929.jpg

IMG_20160210_162945.jpg

OP
OP
Lowstorm

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't see it well in the pics but i hit the trim on the outside with rub n buff in spanish copper. It looks good with my steampunk Nautilus theme.

And my feet are always in the shot lol

OP
OP
Lowstorm

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ipsf order arrived. I have life! Bugs, snails, crabs, worms, bacteria, coralline algae, micro and mini stars.... all the goods to make my tank thrive!!!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back