OP
Lowstorm

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So!

My birds nest is growing... like crazy growth. It was just a couple of branches to equal 3 or so inches when I got it. Now there's little buds all over it. So exciting! Especially since I plan on having a bunch of sps in the tank.

My UV light broke a week or so ago. Unfortunately, the bacteria came back. ARGH! I bought new bulbs and its set back up now. I hope I don't have to run the UV forever. I suppose if I do, its not THAT big of a deal, but it will be really irritating quickly if the bulbs keep on breaking. But I had it mounted horizontally in my sump. Now its vertical in my tank, so we'll see how long it lasts. The bulbs aren't that expensive, at least.

My clowns are out and about lots now, too. I want to get an anemone for them asap. I'm leaning towards a long-tentacle. I really want something that'll stay in the sand bed, as I don't want too much else there. The only real issue I see with that idea is that I want little gobies. I'm going to get captive bred where possible, but I love goby/shrimp pairings, and while there were some bred and raised recently, I don't know when/if they'll be available, and if they'll be paired.

Soon my tank will be full of little peaceful fish though. And sps! And an anemone! And clams. Derasa are my favorite, even if they don't have the super colors that you see with the others. Then again, if I can find a green maxima...

OP
OP
Lowstorm

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol I can in the next few days. The UV works pretty fast, but its cloudy (again) at the moment. Very frustrating, when I can see the growth, but can't show it off!

OP
OP
Lowstorm

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, pics! Excuse my cloud. The UV has already cleared it up, again, about 50%. By the end of the week it should be gone

DSCN1501.JPG

DSCN1508.JPG

DSCN1509.JPG

DSCN1511.JPG

OP
OP
Lowstorm

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, all those tubes on the top righthand side are to keep my overflow running. I don't have enough flow for both overflows, but too much for just a single running, so I modded it. Now I will never have an overflow due to it failing. Yay!

OP
OP
Lowstorm

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So on the first page, I was showing off pictures of my aquariums. I wanted to share this oldie but goodie:

100_1309.jpg

See that green and white mini-maxi in the middle? Well, once upon a time, he was mine. And I diced him up. And when I got out of the hobby 3ish years ago, I sold the babies off (of both him and the pink one)

Guess what I got back last night?

Yup, its still small. But I got a slice of him back! Perfectly formed, not really happy, but its back.

Everything seems to come full circle eventually, right?

Now one of these days I just need to track down where the pink one went... IF the new owner wants to rehome it. I got really lucky to be honest!

OP
OP
Lowstorm

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh! And my cloud is gone. But as I was taking pics last night of it, my camera died. So until I get batteries, no pics. I even got some pics of my reclusive clownfish!

OP
OP
Lowstorm

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still here! But I believe in honesty. My temp has been going through a lot of fluctuations, and it killed my birds nest. I don't mean a half degree either. My heater can't keep up with cool night temps. I have it set at 80. The temp fell to 76 one night. Next day, birds nest was gone. Bummed out but it means I'm going to fix the issue. Another 300watt heater is going to be here Tuesday.

OP
OP
Lowstorm

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I haven't posted in a while. My tank took a back burner due to, well, getting a divorce. Yup, I'm a single lady again. I can't afford anything for the tank for now because I'm paying bills. A lot of bills. Long story

Anyway, I'm battling what appears to be Calothrix. If I don't scrub the rocks and get the sandbed good, it comes back with a vengeance. I NEED to buy a full cleanup crew. I don't have much of one anymore.

OP
OP
Lowstorm

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi again. I'm baaack. Lol!

So I've gotten more fish and corals. Unfortunately I had an electrocution in my tank a bit over a month ago. Killed all my sps, some of the lps. My tank looked awful.

So to cheer myself up I got a yellow tang. And it brought me right back into the game. I brought home an algae blenny today. Next fish purchase will be the start of my goby collection.

I have also brought home more corals. Orange digi, bird of paradise, pink birds nest, setosa, green slimer, and a chalice that I forget the name of.

The tang has taken out a lot of my algae issues, the blenny will finish it off I'm sure. Yay!

OP
OP
Lowstorm

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bleached the fuzz out of the pink birds nest. Ugh. Dropped the bop to the sand as it started to bleach. Gonna have to raise my lights I'm thinking.

I was originally planning on gobies, but I really want some open space swimmers. So I may finish my stocking of fish list with a goby/shrimp trio and either a group of anthias or wrasses. I'd love a harem of flashers, even though chances are high the females would go male. Anthias may be the route I take.

So a 125 gallon with;
2 Blackfoot clowns
1 yellow tang
1 algae blenny
2 small gobies
3+ anthias

Doesn't look like much, does it?

Next I want an anemone. Not sure what type yet. Probably an LTA. Gonna have to order everything online.

OP
OP
Lowstorm

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reduced my light time by an hour. I keep on having pale colors and bleaching issues so Yeah. Now the lights are on 11ish total hours including sun up and down for a half hour... I have to double check the times on this but..
Moonlight's on at 8:30, off at 9 am. Back on at 8pm til 9pm
Blues on at 9am, off at 8:30pm
whites on at 930 am, off at 8pm

Being able to adjust the lights I'm able to do the left light 5 minutes before the right, so it all goes east to west just like in nature

OP
OP
Lowstorm

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My boyfriend is a wee bit late with my xmas present. He just sent me this pic of it.
Attach96_20170114_174527.jpg

Yeah I have an awesome boyfriend! Of course his hobby is sitting to the right. ( 1985 z28 being pieced together with 2 others. Insert lots of car speak, I smile and nod.)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back