my 135 rimless - updated with new LED build!!

OP
OP
johnanddawn

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'll do some updated pics in a week or two - our club (nwrs) is hosting our annual frag swap this weekend and i plan on getting a couple new frags as well as thinning the zoas a bit so i will take some updated shots after everything settles down

meisen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great guys, really nice mixed reef. We'll see if we can't enhance it slightly this weekend for ya :)

OP
OP
johnanddawn

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice tank indeed.. Following along for sure...

thanks

Looks great guys, really nice mixed reef. We'll see if we can't enhance it slightly this weekend for ya :)

thanks, i had to make room for the influx of new frags, and have some primo spots picked out for those frags i'm going to get from you

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the sps frags are encrusting well, very nice! I'm jealous at how good your blastos look, mine still look like they've risen from the dead.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'll do some updated pics in a week or two - our club (nwrs) is hosting our annual frag swap this weekend and i plan on getting a couple new frags as well as thinning the zoas a bit so i will take some updated shots after everything settles down

I'm always looking for some good shots of some great corals! It's almost as good as having them yourself.

CJ

OP
OP
johnanddawn

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the sps frags are encrusting well, very nice! I'm jealous at how good your blastos look, mine still look like they've risen from the dead.

thanks here is a new blasto i got and a new pic of a couple old ones
2011lynnblasto.jpg

2011all4.jpg

and here is growth tips - actually my acros are just so so these days
2011acrotips.jpg

I'm always looking for some good shots of some great corals! It's almost as good as having them yourself.

CJ

thanks a couple new shots for you
a couple new ones i just got at our local swap
2011sym.jpg

2011favia2011.jpg

2011acans.jpg

a new shot of some zoas
2011zoas.jpg

and a new fts
2011fts4.jpg

OP
OP
johnanddawn

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, great FTS guys, looks really nice!

thanks its a work in progress

Nice new pickups but Wow those blastos are amazing and the colors are sick!! Great FTS too!

thanks i like all my blastos - i've been growing them out for a long time and the new one really adds to the mix, hopeully one day it gets just as big

Incredible DT. why did you choose to go with the bare bottom? Also, why did u go with 3 fuges?

thanks
i had dsb's and ssb's for more then 15 years before i started this tank and just decided there has got to be a better way. a lot of thought went into the structure of the reef itself and the under flow to ensure a detritus free tank and bb was the way to go for me

the three sumps kinda came out of a desire for huge volume of water and compartmentalized filtration. i am a science teacher and have always wanted my tank to be as natural as possible. the first tank has a settling area and a skimmer, the second is my lit fuge and frag tank, and the last is a cryptic fuge and the return pump. a lot of thought and experimentation went into the order and its current configuration
i have 9 fish and can feed them and the corals all i want plus have a nice supply of live plankton coming up from the sumps

GR808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks its a work in progress

thanks i like all my blastos - i've been growing them out for a long time and the new one really adds to the mix, hopeully one day it gets just as big

thanks
i had dsb's and ssb's for more then 15 years before i started this tank and just decided there has got to be a better way. a lot of thought went into the structure of the reef itself and the under flow to ensure a detritus free tank and bb was the way to go for me

the three sumps kinda came out of a desire for huge volume of water and compartmentalized filtration. i am a science teacher and have always wanted my tank to be as natural as possible. the first tank has a settling area and a skimmer, the second is my lit fuge and frag tank, and the last is a cryptic fuge and the return pump. a lot of thought and experimentation went into the order and its current configuration
i have 9 fish and can feed them and the corals all i want plus have a nice supply of live plankton coming up from the sumps

Amazing, the results are apparent in your DT.. Is the cryptic fuge for biological filtration with the live rock? I suppose that theory goes beyond the rule of thumb of live rock to gallon ratio?

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks

Very interesting thought process on the sand beds and 3 sump system you have going. It seems you definitely have it working well!

OP
OP
johnanddawn

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing, the results are apparent in your DT.. Is the cryptic fuge for biological filtration with the live rock? I suppose that theory goes beyond the rule of thumb of live rock to gallon ratio?

the cryptic fuge is an area where rock can allow sponges and worms and other non photos, as well as bacteria to grow without having to compete with algaes. i think i have about another 60 lbs of rock in there. one day when i work out the details i am going to add a rdsb in this tank as well, but i still need to think about the logistics cause i want it to be done right and as maintenence free as possible. i would also like to try some non photo corals in this area to act as a filter and maybe seed some sponges to the mix as well.

Very interesting thought process on the sand beds and 3 sump system you have going. It seems you definitely have it working well!

its fun to play, and having a room dedicated to a sump is really convienent

I love the tank. The aquascape is definately different. I don't know if you can fit anymore LPS in that tank.

thanks, and yeah its pretty full, i guess i got a little carried away at our frag swap :) . i want to add a couple more zoas and then just let it grow for a while. i have room for a couple more acros but am not going to add any till the ones i have already start looking better again. my montis do fine but the acros are just so~so at best

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A very well thought out system. I love my barebottom and will (probably) never go back.

OP
OP
johnanddawn

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i agree bb rocks - such a clean look
its really odd how when i started reefing back in the early 90's every one was bb - the old "berlin style" set up :)
all my first tanks were bb
then the jaubert dsb system was the wave (i ran a dsb in my main display for 15 years)
and then ssb became more common and now bb seems to be making a comeback

to each there own though cause really they all work, just what you prefer

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i agree bb rocks - such a clean look
its really odd how when i started reefing back in the early 90's every one was bb - the old "berlin style" set up :)
all my first tanks were bb
then the jaubert dsb system was the wave (i ran a dsb in my main display for 15 years)
and then ssb became more common and now bb seems to be making a comeback

to each there own though cause really they all work, just what you prefer

The only thing I don't like about tanks is the coralline covered starboard. Just doesn't look natural to me. However, being able to have pumps at the bottom of the tank and not having to worry about substrate going everywhere is a huge plus in my book.

OP
OP
johnanddawn

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
true - i agree
i went with the granite tile instead of starboard for this reason but in the end it looks the same anyway - covered in coraline algae
too bad there isn't a way to have that clean white sand look and all the benifits of bb

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%

Back