36" wide - build planning - suggestions?

seandanekind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all-

I'm looking to upgrade a Red Sea 170 G1 (no issues, just want more water volume) that is on a small 3 ft wall as you round my foyer into the main entertainment area.

I had 2 years in a row of achilles surgeries on both ankles, so the tank was kinda neglected. Currently has 2 rose bubble tips, some cleanup crew, and more algae than I'd like. Thus the "screw it, I'll start over and go bigger. For reference, I had a very successful 400 gal about 15 years ago that grew some monster caps

I have toyed with the idea of a 3x3 cube (the Innovative Marine 112 is pretty slick, and I have a Marineland 150DD in the basement), but it's kind of a hallway between Foyer, Family Room & Kitchen/Dining, and I just can't come 36" into the room without it feeling imposing. 30" possibly. 24" definitely.

Floor is well braced (immediately adjacent to a supporting wall in an overbuilt house, but I still wouldn't go much over 100 gal.

A nice feature is that the wall behind the tank is a coat closet, so I have room for some refugia, water changing & dosing equipment in there, and have a line plumbed from my RO system in the basement.

Photos:
  • The orange-ish pic is from the house listing (before I bought it) on the upstairs M-bed entry landing looking at the spot wher ethe tank goes (under the picture which is no longer there).
  • The pics with blue light is the RS170 when I first set it up as viewed from an odd angle in my kitchen/dining room. The Kessil A360x is hanging from a shelf by a chain with the medium reflector (I just liked the look) about 7" above the tank. I ended up getting the narrow reflector so the light is now about 10-12" above the tank with no light spill. I might do an AP9x or just 2x A360's on the new tank.

Anyway...

A 36" wide mixed reef would fit nicely. So, I've been eyeing a few tanks:

Red Sea - Reefer 300 G2+
+ I like that the ReefMat 500 fits in the nicely sump
+ Stand would match the Freshwater Planted RedSea Reefer Nano (20 gal) that is visible & about 20 ft away in the dining room. (not a huge plus, but a nice touch)
- Probably need to put in a real gate valve & metric plumbing, though I manage OK with 2x G1 tanks that just get loud occasionally.

SC Aquariums - 90 Cube PNP
+ Description says "euro braced" which is awesome, but pics look rimless. Assume it is for a +
+ Stands look nice. Would go rustic white.
- not sure how to fit any make of rollermat in the sump

Innovative Marine - Nuvo 75 EXT
+ Since I think 30" would be OK, possibly the EXT model & Vortech's on the back wall
+ Really like the bean animal overflow, US Spec plumbing, thicker glass.
? Really not sure about the looks of the stand. Need to see the in person.
? not sure how to fit any make of rollermat in the sump

CADE - Reef 900 S2
+ Good Looking & high reputation
+ US Plumbing & real gate valve
? probably can't attach powerheads like Vortechs on the back with the ATO chamber.

Planet Aquariums - MEGA Matrix 90 or 115
+ Super Dimensions: MEGA Matrix 115 - 36.5" x 30.5" x 24.875"
+ Nice Dimensions: MEGA Matrix Rimless 90 - 36.5" x 24.5" x 24.875"
+ US Plumbing
+ Nice Stands
+ Matt's Corals & Service is a nearby reseller (yay Columbus)
- Top Frame on 115. Would love a rimless 115
Glass Cages - Custom
+ can do Euro-Braced
+ can do 36" wide x 30" front to back
+ Many high end build & plumbing options
+ Many stand options
+ Reef Systems is a nearby reseller (yay Columbus)
? Need to see the sump, or get a cutom sump
- Much more expensive than pre-made

Custom Aquariums - Custom (duh)
+ Many high end build & plumbing options
+ multiple glass thickness options
+ Many stand options
- Much more expensive than pre-made
- Don't really do internal overflows & their externals are kinda goofy, but could have it drilled for a Shadow/Ghost Style
- Don't like their sump options
Reef Savvy
+ Absolute top end in USA w' many high end build & plumbing options
+ Brag factor
- Quote pending on 36x27x22 rimless, expect it to be expensive
- Probably need to talk more to them about Stands/Sumps or have custom made
Aqua Forest - OceanGuard 435
+ nice cabinet color options

Waterbox - Marine X 90.3
+ US Plumbing
+ nice cabinet color options
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Part of me just says "screw it, the G1 Red Sea's have been fine. Just get the 300 G2 and be done with it".

So - tell me what builders I left out. What features I forgot to account for or minimized, etc..

Thanks-
-Sean

AquaNew.png AquariumSpot.jpg

OP
OP
S

seandanekind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently doing a massive cleanup on the RedSea 170 as I contemplate which tank I want to get...

Dimensionally, the CADE 900 S2 is in my sweet spot. 27" front to back. I had been thinking of most of the 24" deep tanks about 3" out from the wall to fit Vortech's on the back, but worried about the unsightly gap with equipment showing (I know, 1st world problems). If I don't use the ATO chamber, I might be able to fit MP10/40's in there. Per the dims on their website, looks like tank internal = 600mmm and external = 700mm, and 2x 12mm glass, so possibly 76mm (3") to play with.

I did request a quote from Reef Savvy, but haven't heard back yet. Might try again.

Also distracting myself with some other fish related projects while my ankle is still healing & before I "waste" my summer golfing:

Planted Freshwater Red Sea Nano Reefer
Cleaned the sump, added new plants & cleaning crew, got the new Tunze Turbelle High Jet top off pump (20 ft head) and ran ATO water & pump power lines from the Osmolator in the stand to the pump in the basement top off reservoir (Brute 10 gal trash can with lid).

Mini-review: The Turbelle High Jet is definitely more powerful than the normal top off pump that comes with the Osmolator. I have it about 6ft below the sump, and it easily pushes water 6 ft vertically across about 15 ft of 1/4" tubing. It actually primes better than the normal vertical pumps. No idea if it makes noise, as it's a room away, but it's nice not hearing the normal top off pump noise, and not having a container of water next to my pretty tank.

Basement Gallery - 150 DD Cube Part 1
Clean (had Orinoco fish + mud bottom
Rescape for Tanganyika
Move in F0 Frontosa 'Mikula' breeders from Utility room

Basement Utility Room
Pay kids to empty & clean
Move RO water storage + salt mixing to garage
Rewire electric
Install green-board on 2 bare walls
Paint ceiling rafters black, repaint walls (cinder blocks and drywall), paint concrete floor
Get a fancy stainless utility sink (already have water & drain lines)
Install vent fan (already have vent)

<<<< Fall 2023 >>>>

Upstairs Common Area - New 3ft (60-90 gal) Reef Tank

Whatever I decide in this thread

Basement Utility Room
Setup RedSea 170 as Reef QT Tank

Basement Gallery - 220 gal Tanganyika Cichlid Tank
Building Fiji Sump from 29 gal + Fiji Kit (currently an Eshopps AF-200 G1)
Has ATO - needs MJ1200 pump + timer or daily 10 gal AWC
Redo Light Mounts
Finish stand exterior

Basement Gallery - 220 gal Orinoco Cichlid Tank
Building Fiji Sump from 29 gal + Fiji Kit (currently a plain 20 gal)
Has ATO - needs MJ1200 pump + timer for daily 10 gal AWC
Redo Light Mounts
Finish stand exterior

<<<< Winter 2023 >>>>

Basement Gallery - 150 DD Cube Part 2 - Reef Conversion

Move Fronts back to breeder tank (125 gal) in new utility room
Clean & plan for downstairs SPS Dominant reef tank.
Rehab the old monster skimmer
Rahab the old monster calcium reactor
Start buying lights / powerheads
Move to landing between bathroom & rec room.

OP
OP
S

seandanekind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'm leaning that way.

Currently got the RS170 back in shape with a complete cleaning of the sump, skimmer, pump, heater, etc. Citric Acid is awesome at cleaning up the calcified bits.

I got some fresh cleaning crew for the tank.. The new turbo snails are decimating the hair algae. The 50% water change didn't hurt either.

Also re-hooked up my old Apex & got a Triton & the new MXM to control the Vortech MP10. Found the Energy Bar is not switching the relay outlets, but USB & 1Links ports work. Currently working with Neptune support on that - they seem pretty prompt & responsive considering I opened the ticket on Friday night and they got back to me on Saturday.

Tonight I'm drilling a 10 gallon to make a remote refugium in the adjacent closet. Also got some Ikea shelves to organize the closet (work in progress).

Attachments

• IMG-0745.jpg
    IMG-0745.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG-0744.jpg
    IMG-0744.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 38

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you end up making a decision yet? I stumbled upon your thread. Just picked up a Glass Cages 36x18x16 from my LFS today to start a new build after a hiatus from the hobby and pumped to get it up and running. The build quality is spectacular, and the pricing/lead time is reasonable on a custom. I got lucky to find one that suited my needs laying around!

OP
OP
S

seandanekind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda stalled in the mid-summer activities - and recovered from ankle surgery. I did get the RS170 looking good with new cleanup crew and a big water change. I'll start looking again this fall.

OP
OP
S

seandanekind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just incase anyone was following this... I opted to keep the Red Sea 170 where it is, and got a sick Planet 155 from the recent sale at Matt's Corals here in Columbus (thanks Matt). The tank is 48x30x25 inches & fits nicely in a 56" space between a door and 2 steps down into my basement bar. Rimless, external overflow & armored seams. Matt just delivered it Friday. It's pretty sweet.

I'll likely have filtration in the utility room behind it rather than under the tank. There's a sweet billiards/bar room to the right of the tank in the photo. The tank is up 2 steps and to the left in the pool table (older pic) - just out of frame, & pretty far out of the way for wayward flying billiard balls.

This will be a slow burn build... My sister & bro-in-law are currently living in that room, but should be moving out in the next 4-6 weeks.

I need to move a light switch, repaint that wall with a waterproof gloss before plumbing & filling the tank. I'll cycle it with stuff I have, but likely not getting real lights or powerheads until EcoTech goes on sale on Black Friday - unless there I get really impatient.

The room behind the tank is the main utility room for the house and has a slightly sloping concrete floor with drain, utility sink, & plenty of room for refugia, sumps, frag tanks, water mixing station, etc... also, an electric sub-panel already there, so it will be super easy to wire this system with it's own breakers.

Attachments

• IMG_0554.jpg
    IMG_0554.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1693.jpg
    IMG_1693.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 13

Jonathanw1234

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just incase anyone was following this... I opted to keep the Red Sea 170 where it is, and got a sick Planet 155 from the recent sale at Matt's Corals here in Columbus (thanks Matt). The tank is 48x30x25 inches & fits nicely in a 56" space between a door and 2 steps down into my basement bar. Rimless, external overflow & armored seams. Matt just delivered it Friday. It's pretty sweet.

I'll likely have filtration in the utility room behind it rather than under the tank. There's a sweet billiards/bar room to the right of the tank in the photo. The tank is up 2 steps and to the left in the pool table (older pic) - just out of frame, & pretty far out of the way for wayward flying billiard balls.

This will be a slow burn build... My sister & bro-in-law are currently living in that room, but should be moving out in the next 4-6 weeks.

I need to move a light switch, repaint that wall with a waterproof gloss before plumbing & filling the tank. I'll cycle it with stuff I have, but likely not getting real lights or powerheads until EcoTech goes on sale on Black Friday - unless there I get really impatient.

The room behind the tank is the main utility room for the house and has a slightly sloping concrete floor with drain, utility sink, & plenty of room for refugia, sumps, frag tanks, water mixing station, etc... also, an electric sub-panel already there, so it will be super easy to wire this system with it's own breakers.
That is going to be a beautiful tank

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back