OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’ll go great as long as you get an appropriate sized fish and continue moving slowly. Stability is your friend. You’ll do great!
Thanks for the support, I appreciate it!

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with getting your first fish! Looks like you've been very cautious and will take care of everything great! What fish are you considering putting in?

I will also be adding my first fish to my nano at the end of the week hopefully! I'm a little nervous. I've heard that when people add their first fish into a newly cycled tank, they don't do a water change for around a month (unless needed for parameters) and don't clean the inside of the glass as well for a month. Is that something I should follow?

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with getting your first fish! Looks like you've been very cautious and will take care of everything great! What fish are you considering putting in?

I will also be adding my first fish to my nano at the end of the week hopefully! I'm a little nervous. I've heard that when people add their first fish into a newly cycled tank, they don't do a water change for around a month (unless needed for parameters) and don't clean the inside of the glass as well for a month. Is that something I should follow?
Cool to here that you are getting fish too! What fish I get, really depends on what my LFS has, and the fishes behaviours. Right now I think a clown maybe a pair of them, and a firefish if I get 1 clown, but other than that I don't really know. Lol.

I have never heard that you don't clean the tank, so if that's true I will definitely do that. Maybe someone else knows.

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It will take about a month before you see much algae on the glass at all. I’d also wait at least a couple of weeks at least before doing a water change. I’d do a 25% water change, and no more. I’d do a 25% change every couple of weeks. Every couple of months a 50% change is beneficial but no more than that, unless there’s an emergency. We’re looking for stability and slow changes.

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool to here that you are getting fish too! What fish I get, really depends on what my LFS has, and the fishes behaviours. Right now I think a clown maybe a pair of them, and a firefish if I get 1 clown, but other than that I don't really know. Lol.

I have never heard that you don't clean the tank, so if that's true I will definitely do that. Maybe someone else knows.
Those are definitely some nice fish! I also may be going with a pair of clowns, preferably snowflakes, but like you said it depends what the LFS has lol. A watchman goby is also on my possible list. Excited to see what you end up getting!

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will take about a month before you see much algae on the glass at all. I’d also wait at least a couple of weeks at least before doing a water change. I’d do a 25% water change, and no more. I’d do a 25% change every couple of weeks. Every couple of months a 50% change is beneficial but no more than that, unless there’s an emergency. We’re looking for stability and slow changes.
Sounds good! I will most likely start with a 20% water change after a few weeks and then do weekly 10% water changes. That's what I had in mind.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good! I will most likely start with a 20% water change after a few weeks and then do weekly 10% water changes. That's what I had in mind.
That's exactly what I had in mind too!

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider micro daily water changes. And skip the clowns. They will be very aggressive in a small tank.
I am kind of leaning towards that. It's tough though because I really want clowns, but I kind of think that I am going to pass though.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am kind of leaning towards that. It's tough though because I really want clowns, but I kind of think that I am going to pass though.
In a bigger tank, I would not be so concerned. In a nano, you are asking for trouble with clowns. A couple interesting nano tank fish are a possum wrasse, or a pink streaked wrasse. Hard to find, but peaceful and would do fine in a nano tank. Start with a firefish or a yellow clown goby. Maybe a yellow watchman goby. Blue neon cleaner goby is a good nano choice as well.

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't get discouraged. I've seen many people succeed with having a pair of clowns in 13.5-15 gallon tanks. You can pick up a pair that has been together for a while at your LFS, and they shouldn't be aggressive. Obviously, it may depend if you have other fish in the tank, but I know that people have had clown pairs and a watchman goby.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do as large of a water change as you want. The key is to use the same salt. I have always done 100 percent weekly water changes without issue. Even on new setup no issues. I have only run into issues when converting salt brands or types. If temps are extreme such as you run a heater at 78 or 80 and house is below 70. But heater should warm up without issue. If its close in temp your good.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!! I'm super excited to see what you end up getting for yours! :)

You said you will be getting fish possibly at the end of this week? Or next week?
End of this week, this Saturday the 17th! It's the day after my birthday!!

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Happy Birthday GIF

Good luck with your new fish friends and acclimating them, looking fwd to seeing them in their new home!

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome start! Definitely following along, looks like we started about the same week! I was reading through and was getting pumped up for you and these new fish! One thing trivial but you will want depending on your lighting is a cheap little clip on filter for your phone, cuts the blue and take some great shots of those new fish!
IMG_4403.jpeg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 62 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back