OP
OP
ReefSlice

ReefSlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where tarpon fishing was born, it's a very rich history with tons of anglers making the trek from all over the world every year. They're also the most frustrating beast in the sea.
Ha, yes I do have the worst hobbies. Basically I dump money into one to keep it afloat, and into the other to keep it submerged... But, this is what caused me to make fishing my living, I couldn't survive without all these silly fish. It's not an easy way to make a living, but it's very rewarding.

Dondante

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes .Over the last few years I've been looking at their paths from gps tagged fish .It's amazing the distances they travel.

We live on unique water way. It's been called the Amazon of the U.S. Fresh water and the fall shrimp, crabs, Jack's, Sharks and even tarpon work their way into the rivers. Some to spawn and some to eat the creatures that come to spawn . It's quite the sight to be bass fishing with Gators all around and 6 ft jacks start busting the water eating schools of fish eating shad and shrimp . I absolutely love it .

OP
OP
ReefSlice

ReefSlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes we have some definite similarities. In the winter (dry season) the Jack's, snook, tarpon and even reds move well up into our rivers. We even have snook and tarpon in our golf courses around here! Never know what you'll find.
Back to the build, I decided I'm going to take down my 40 gallon and move it to another room before I fill this tank. It's just better to get it out of the way now, less hassle once the tank is up and running. Hopefully all goes well.

Dondante

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I forgot. Are those return bulkheads slip on the outside?

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am! I guide out of Sanibel island. It's truly paradise. Boat has been in the shop for 2 weeks now so I'm using the free time to wrap this tank up. Getting the boat back Monday, and then it's going to be 8+ hours a day of tarpon fishing til August.
Return plumbing is 3/4" bulkheads yes.
That is strange, I have the 150 sca internal overflow box and all 3 of my holes in the bottom of the tank are for 1" bulkheads.

OP
OP
ReefSlice

ReefSlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the internal overflow version has 3 1" bulkheads because only one is for your return, this tank has 2 return bulkheads on the back of the tank so they went with 3/4".
Thanks for the compliments!

OP
OP
ReefSlice

ReefSlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whew, filling this beast has been giving me some anxiety, I won't lie, but I'm powering through! Tank is ~2/3 full, and the 40 was successfully relocated to another room. Nice and spacious around the tank now, and a little less anxiety ridden knowing it's just this setup in the room.
I heard back from BRS and my purple plus replacement is on the way. As for the fixture, they offered to replace it after I send it back or just take a 10% discount. It is pretty minor bending in the reflectors with no damage to the fixture body itself so I figure I will just take the discount and order new reflectors when I change the bulbs next year, as shipping this large of a fragile item always poses its risks. Anyone think this will really mess with my par? I'm not too worried about it, the thing with just 6 bulbs is BRIGHT :cool:. You can see the reflectors in this photo here, they're crinkled just a bit in the middle. 2 are fine. Hopefully I cant start it up tomorrow or Tuesday. Picking up the boat tomorrow (FINALLY) so it will be a busy week.
tank half full.jpg

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good!! Looking forward to seeing this come together!!

Dondante

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome .I'm prepping for new floors and currently painting walls .I'm so stressed. Mine should be here next week. So it's gonna be a minute before I can get it going . I'll have time to get my plumbing perfect.

OP
OP
ReefSlice

ReefSlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good!! Looking forward to seeing this come together!!
Thanks! It's been a long process. Very excited to turn it on. Who knows if this stuff even works... :p
Awesome .I'm prepping for new floors and currently painting walls .I'm so stressed. Mine should be here next week. So it's gonna be a minute before I can get it going . I'll have time to get my plumbing perfect.
Enjoy it, and do your research! This is my 5th tank and I'm really digging the way it's coming out. I still had to get crafty a few times. I really didn't like having my plumbing just hanging off my overflow box, but it isn't flush again the back of the tank so I couldn't figure out how to brace them. Couple hardware store trips later I had them nice and tightly secured. Framingtech sent me a bunch of extra screws and goodies and they've definitely come in handy!
plumbing.jpg

Dondante

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've set up over 10 in my life and I've always threw them together. This time I'm going to make it nice. Got colored pipes and fitting ordered. Try and take my time.

OP
OP
ReefSlice

ReefSlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it's alive! Just turned on my return pump and checked for power outage overflows. I messed up and took off some loc line when in reality I should have left it on so I could make a hump above the water, so I will have to remove the loc line and add the sections back on, but for tonight I will just leave it with the returns pointed up a little noisy and keep my eye on everything.
One picture with 6 bulbs on before I send the ATI fixture back tomorrow. Decided I want it perfect, I promised myself I wouldn't cut corners on this build.
IMG_20190312_222443.jpg

kamla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do you plan to wrap the Stand?

looking good so far ...

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 60 46.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 44 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back