My 150G - a build thread in pictures

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's too bad... Do they have the Evergrow IT-2040 in stock?
I was hoping to see the Lumentek Pro over your tank since I am considering to get three of those for my 180.
I hope your corals will look great under the Evergrow IT-2040. Please let me know when you get them and have them up over your tank. I would like to take a close look on the light and the colors of your corals. I promise to behave so you'll let me inside ;)

OP
OP
TrishW

TrishW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's too bad... Do they have the Evergrow IT-2040 in stock?
I was hoping to see the Lumentek Pro over your tank since I am considering to get three of those for my 180.
I hope your corals will look great under the Evergrow IT-2040. Please let me know when you get them and have them up over your tank. I would like to take a close look on the light and the colors of your corals. I promise to behave so you'll let me inside ;)

I think I will be okay - take a look at this

A comparison of the EG 2040 and the LP 120
Downloads1.jpg

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have the same wattage, yet Evergrow has 55 LED's and Lumentek has 40 LED's. They both have the same numbers of red, cyan, and yellow/orange LED's. So, their ratios of colored LED's to white and blue LED's are different. I am curious how corals look under these two different fixtures. I wish I could compare before making a commitment.

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a notice from Reef Radiance. They shipped my 132e. It should arrive at my house on 22nd. Do you know when yours will arrive?

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read this entire build thread; great thread. I love the way you saved the hummingbird! Your tank is really coming along great. Obviously, you are very committed.

OP
OP
TrishW

TrishW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two cleaner shrimp are gone now. I am sure the wrasse ate them. My setosa frag was knocked down and landed on top of my rainbow acan. The acan is fine but the setosa is now bleached on the side that was touching the acan. I am pretty sure it was the long spine urchin that knocked the frag done. Looks like my tank residents have declared war on me these past couple of weeks.

OP
OP
TrishW

TrishW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read this entire build thread; great thread. I love the way you saved the hummingbird! Your tank is really coming along great. Obviously, you are very committed.

Thank you Mike!

markkazdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure it was the long spine urchin that knocked the frag done. Looks like my tank residents have declared war on me these past couple of weeks.

I think they're just daring you to set up another tank for the bullies.

OP
OP
TrishW

TrishW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they're just daring you to set up another tank for the bullies.

You are probably right. I wonder if they realize that the bully tank will be in the......hmm, the snake stand will support the weight of a 40 breeder filled with water, or a small pick up truck....Wonder when Petco will have their next tank sale. Squirrel!

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get your LED lights from Reef Radiance?

Mine was sitting on the front porch when I got home. I just putting it up over my 180 as a test and the corals look wonderful!!

I need to order a set of them for my 180, too. I may order the DM-132e for them as well since I really don't need all the extra control functions such as a gradual dawn and dusk effect and a wireless remote control. The two potentiometers that allow me to control the two channels separately seem enough to me. Unless someone can tell me the benefit of having the extre bells and wistles control functions, I like to go with DM-132e instead of more expensive Lumentek pro 120's with fancy functions.

ProudSoonersFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two cleaner shrimp are gone now. I am sure the wrasse ate them. My setosa frag was knocked down and landed on top of my rainbow acan. The acan is fine but the setosa is now bleached on the side that was touching the acan. I am pretty sure it was the long spine urchin that knocked the frag done. Looks like my tank residents have declared war on me these past couple of weeks.

I had a Peppermint Shrimp disappear a few months ago. The only things that could have eaten it was the Green Emerald Crab or the 2 inch Yellow Watchman Goby. My bet was on the Crab. He's a voracious brine shrimp eater. So, into the sump he went.

Loved the story about Burrito. Must have been an amazing experience!

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't be able to do that unless I unmount a MH lamp with Lumenbright reflector. Reilly is away at the moment, and I only have one pair of hands to hold it above my tank. Since the light fixture is relatively heavy, I need to hold it with both hands. I'd be blocking the view of the tank with my body even if I put my camera on a tripod. When I get it hung above my tank, I will post some pictures. The color temperature looks to be somewhere between 14K and 20K.

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Peppermint Shrimp disappear a few months ago. The only things that could have eaten it was the Green Emerald Crab or the 2 inch Yellow Watchman Goby. My bet was on the Crab. He's a voracious brine shrimp eater. So, into the sump he went.

Loved the story about Burrito. Must have been an amazing experience!

Emerald crabs do not eat your peppermint shrimp. Peppermint shrimp are very cryptic. They hide while the tank is lit. They will come out and feed in the darkness. You will probably find them hiding in your rockwork.

Last edited:

ProudSoonersFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emerald crabs do not eat your peppermint shrimp. Peppermint shrimp are very cryptic. They hide while the tank is lit. They will come out and feed in the darkness. You will probably find them hiding in your rockwork.

He's been gone for 2 months. Never found him on the floor, refugium, or anywhere else. I've read where emerald crabs have gone rogue and eaten things they wouldn't have. The yellow watchman goby was the only other option. Unless it was the 3 snails I have then the only thing I can figure it was the crab. I recently bought another one to replace the missing one.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 4

hung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of skimmer are you using?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am experimenting with my DM-132e tonight a bit more. It's on my 29 now. Last night I was concentrating more on the way the LED colored up the corals and not looking the overall effect of the LED fixture.

Looking at the 29 and 180, which is lit with Phoenix 14K, at the same time, I am beginning to feel that I might want a bit more blue appearance like my Phoenix 14k. DM-132e brings out a bit more pink and purple than blue. When I turn up the white channel, it looks more daylight and lose some of the pinkish color, but it's not as blue as Phoenix. I am wondering if your Evergrow is closer to the appearance of Phoenix 14K MH lamp.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomoko... you could always toss in some actinic t-5 or led supplementation

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back