My 180 mostly SPS Tank

arotbart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my 180, mostly SPS...just a nikon point and shoot....enjoy...my first video!

[video=youtube;vXdac1V9O94]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXdac1V9O94[/video]

OP
OP
arotbart

arotbart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks...like your avatar....is that the Cheeca Lodge? heading there saturday!!!!

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:bigsmile: I have no idea

I found it looking through boat adds years ago and have had it in my files since.If this is the place, please take pics if possible. I just miss staying in the Keys and looking thru the water from the dock and my boat.

Reefer831

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank...any chance of seeing it with all the lights on...and info on your set up?

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks Good! How long has the tank been set up?

OP
OP
arotbart

arotbart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
S FL in the HOUSE!!!

those black clowns were a pick up l at my LFS...they get some odd stuff from time to time, same with the pink anthias....don't see these too often.

Tank has been up since Dec 2010...I migrated some pieces from my 90 when I set up the 180, but it was basically a new set up. Things really took off when I hooked up my calcium reactor in March.2011. That has made a huge difference in growth of the SPS...STABILITY IS KEY and that is what you get with a good calcium reactor (MTC is the reactor i use..Marine Technical Concepts out of NJ).
I run bio pellets AND ozone....Ozone, for some reason fell out of favor....but I have a pretty heavy bio-load, and the ozone just makes my skimmer pull out some super nasty crud. Water clarity is top notch...but because i have so many fish, the ozone really keeps all the parasites in check. I had some issues with ich and popeye and lost some really cool fish because of that (a soal tang, purple tile fish, and one of the 3 orange squampy's), but since putting the ozone into place (I run my orp right at 425) I have had zero issues with parasites or worms for that matter (I battled AEFW too!!! and so far so good). I do think the Ozone does helps with parasites, worms etc...,

OP
OP
arotbart

arotbart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok...here is tank with full lights on....I will post set up right down below...

[video=youtube;ge8usiB8xtM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge8usiB8xtM[/video]

OP
OP
arotbart

arotbart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set UP

for those who are interested.

180G Reef ready.
Lighting - 2 400W radiums and 12 39" T-5 (4 12K tru lumen, 2 KZ Fiji purple, 6 ATI's Blues).
I have a 40G sump/refugium. Refugium has Cheato and Culerpa that help export nutrients. I keep it lit 24/7.
Marine Technical Concepts Calcium Reactor with large/coarse media from two little fishes (I get no mush in the reactor from this media).
Run GFO and Carbon Reactors.
Run Biopelets (Warner Marine & now Two little fishes)
Run Ozone (Oztech) with a large BRS air drier (very humid here in S. FL)
Ozone is attached directly to Royal Alpha Exclusiv 250 Skimmer (this thing is a beat and i literally had the sump designed around it)
1/2 HP chiller.
I also dose Kalkwasser (Brightwells K+2 or Nature reef) during lights out and four a few hours when lights are on....

Supplements....really just 2 drops of Brightwells lugol's solution, and once or twice a week I use KZ coral snow which helps keep cyano at bay.

I do a 30G water change about every 2-3 weeks. My thought is try and change as little as possible and keep things, including the water, as stable as possible...

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 137 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 110 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back