OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a long time coming, but we have moved into our new home.
The tank is finally in its almost resting place.
20180211_170504.jpg
I still have to get the plumbing hooked up and level it out. Hopefully pushing water around this weekend.
The other side of that wall is the garage and I have also begun to set up water station.
20180222_120420.jpg
I still need to run some supply and drain lines but Im just trying to get an idea how all this is going to workout.
Plan is to run plumbing through the wall. So im not carrying buckets.
Ill update as i move forward.
Oh ya the rock is still curing so that should be nice for cycling. Hope it speeds up or by passes the uglies.

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Clayton Jessup its been a long time coming and its starting to sink in having this system up and running soon. I got some composite shimms to level the stand and the rest of the pipe to get the rodi up and running tomarrow

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well things didnt go as planned yesterday.
Water station in garage
I connected the run of pvc for RODI to the supply line going to the water heater. The run is about 40 ft and the plan was to secure it under the baseboard.
In Florida our garage is lower than the interior house floor by about 6 inches. The base is run at the same height as inside the house so you add 5/8 for base plus the thickness of the drywall and I coyld easily hide a 3/4 pipe undrr there.
All the conne tions went fine so i started drilling hangers in the side of the concrete slab and wouldnt you know i hit a 1/2 " water line for the fridge. Water was spraying everywhere like something off a cartoon. At this time my wife pulls in the drveway from shopping and I run out to the side of the house to shut off the main water supply to the house. When I come back to the garage she is still sitting in the neel with her hands in the air saying something i cant make out. Now its 1230 and i have an hour and a half to get ready for work .
I immediately glad a jackhammer and start chipping the concrete out to see how im going to fix this pipe. Turns out all the new homes are cpvc below the slab (dodged a bullet there). My father in law lives next door and had a cable saw and the union. So all was fix in time for work. But let me tell you what it was exhuasting.
Good side is im making water and im off Monday and Tuesday so i should be filling the tank one of those days.
If anyone would like to see picks i can take some but i didnt take them during the process it would only be finished pics.

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so tank is in its forever home, level and Rodi filling. I just installed my wire chase not a big deal but it will keep all thw wires out of site. Currently only running a pump and the main power from switch planel through it. But it it looks cool
20180226_141025.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is full and the rock thats been cycling for 6 months or so is in there also. I added a bottle of dr Tims one and only, the recommended amount of ammonia and will test tomorrow. Ill need to organize the aquascape this week.
I will be making an order with algea barn for some clean cheato and pods. I should have the fuge plumbed in as well. I kinda change my plan once i got the water in a little late to rethink something but what the heck. The fuge is going ro go in the left side of the stand , where the chiller wss going to go and the chiller if needed will go in the garage and ill run the plumbing through the wall.
So thats where im at
20180228_120746.jpg

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I placed an order with The coral Reef TN for Hawaiian amphapods and copepods. I have also ordered some cheato from algae barn. Both will be delivered on the 6th.
With the new arrivals coming i started getting the fuge setup and plumbed in. I had to reroute one drain through a wall in the stand to supply water. The drain from the fuge is gravity/ overflow to the sump. Which was done with a glass hole saw bit and abs bulkhead. Its all piped tight but i have not wet tested it. I ran out of time Ill do that tomorrow before work and Ill get a couple pics of the progress.

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a couple pics of the fuge plumbing
20180302_125406.jpg
20180302_125440.jpg
one thing i forgot to do and had me worried was drill a hole in the top of the 90 draining the fuge. When i first set it up and ran the pump i had a situation with the water level raising and lowering cuaseing a flushing effect. Until i remembered to drill the vent hole . After that it all sabilized.
On a different note the amphapods and copepods i ordred yesterday showed up today. Ill need to get the light set up tomorrow and hoping the cheato comes soon so i can seed the fuge
20180302_134958.jpg

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have been busy and missed a couple updates so heres the catchup.
Refugium is working algea barn clean cheato in and light hooked up running 24 /7 . All Hawaian amphapods and copepods in, thanks to The Coral Reef TN.
The canopy is complete awaiting stain, the inside has been painted gloss white and light racks installed. Plan is to be set up and running Monday.
Dr tims one and only seems to have cycled the tank in about 3 days. I tested ammonia and nitrate on the 3rd day of dosing and had 0 ammonia and trace No3. I dont have a nitrite test but ill look at at testing again tomorrow.
Sence all the pods went in i have been feeding a little mysis and rods debris to see if the system can handle uneaten food. Will see tomorrow.
Heres a couple pics to bring you up to speed
20180307_122932.jpg
20180307_122959.jpg
20180308_134206.jpg
I also got a couple new pumps the
QP-16 Ive read some good stuff about them and thought I would give them a try.
20180308_140523.jpg
I just realized the pic is fuzzy , I take anothet tomorrow if someone wants to see the box info.
But 4000gph and wireless syncing was pretty desirable to me. Again will see theres not much reveiws on them

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hood is on all painted and stained .
20180312_151020.jpg
I organized the rock scape a bit, but not sure if it will stand the test of time.
20180312_151056.jpg

I hooked up 4 of the 6 sb reef lights to see the spread coverage. I also installed the qp16 powerheads Im pretty impressed with the water flow and how quiet they are.
20180312_161750.jpg
Heres a shot in the hood of the qp16 controllers and light rack
20180312_165107.jpg
20180312_165424.jpg

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the Dr Tims one and only didnt do much of anything for cycling the tank. Because of that Im not sure if all the pods made it through the ammonia spike. Most of the cheato has melted away so that to was a waste.
On a better note my tunze ato should be here today. That will be nice to have set up. I dont know how i did it for years, manual water top off. I have had an ato on all my tanks for a few years now and didnt realize the pain of checking and topping off daily.

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with an outage going on at the plant. Time has been hard to come by to invest in the system like I wanted.
With that said it has been running with only the refugium litup. I will be transfering a few chromis over tommorrow and setting a light cycle. Hopeing that i keep the uglies in the refigium cause its pretty nasty in there right now.
Ato is setup and running. Funny note dont ever run the discharge so it ends under water. I did and when the water level in the reservoir got below the sump level it would syphon back to the reservoir. I actually drained the sump and reservoir because I though i had a leak in the acrylic wall seperating them.
By the way all the cheato died off and Im only left with diatoms and brown slime algea in the refugium. I do have a pretty good population of pods in both the fuge and dt, I can see them on the glass.
I did purchase another qp-16 to run behind the rocks to keep detritus from accumulating. Ill be setting that up also

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back