OP
HollyFish

HollyFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt the hair algae caused the fish deaths. .05 is in the ideal range. Did you mean .5? Of course if there's a lot of alage that's going to reduce the amount that's in the water.

Like two months ago my tank had so much hair algae in it you could barely see in. That really kicked me into gear and you can see what it looks like now on my build thread.

My po4 came in at .1 during that and I since upgraded the skimmer and starting running gfo or carbon in a mini reactor.
No his levels were .05 so yes perfectly acceptable but when he went out of town a month or so ago he didn’t have any idea what his numbers were. He left for 4 days and came back to an algae bomb in his tank so assumes she overfed a ton. All of his algae was dead and easily came off but it was so much. What else would have killed the fish? Everything parameter wise was perfect for his tank

OP
OP
HollyFish

HollyFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stress or disease most likely. Stress opens the door for disease.
Hmm okay. His clowns were acting odd the day before all this happened. Sitting on bottom of tank but no visible signs of stress or disease. All his fish were stacked up dead when he woke up ‍♂️

OP
OP
HollyFish

HollyFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my phosphate just tested 0.00 and I’ve been feeding pellets in the morning and frozen hikari shrimp at night and was trying to figure out a good schedule of feeding to keep my levels in line and assumed they would be increasing but now they are 0...is my algae/bacteria eating all the phosphate and that’s why or? What should I do?

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have anything in the tank to absorb phosphates take it out and next again in a few days. I test weekly but I'm running around 55 gallons so it changes slower.

I removed my gfo when it got to .01, was .06 after a week I'm testing it again in a week to see if I need to bring gfo back online. When gfo is out of the reactor I run carbon.

OP
OP
HollyFish

HollyFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have anything in the tank to absorb phosphates take it out and next again in a few days. I test weekly but I'm running around 55 gallons so it changes slower.

I removed my gfo when it got to .01, was .06 after a week I'm testing it again in a week to see if I need to bring gfo back online. When gfo is out of the reactor I run carbon.
What do you mean by take it out, like clean up everything really well? I did siphon my sand yesterday because it had quite a bit of that brown hair algae

OP
OP
HollyFish

HollyFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My top rock seems to have diatoms on it and my back wall and substrate have some brown hair algae but not much at all

Attachments

• 70D1B77C-E924-4DAA-8654-9789A870DE0F.jpeg
    70D1B77C-E924-4DAA-8654-9789A870DE0F.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
HollyFish

HollyFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything doing great so far, have moved some corals around to get the right flow on them but think I’ve found a good spot for everything but my pipe coral. It seems to like basically no flow and that’s hard to find in my tank. Added 2 zebra snails and 2 hermit crabs to my CUC today. I now have 29 living things in the tank (including corals) I LOVE IT

Attachments

• IMG_5745.MP4
    31.3 MB
  • 29A82D65-0CDF-451D-A39C-9FFED54AB3FD.png
    29A82D65-0CDF-451D-A39C-9FFED54AB3FD.png
    223 KB · Views: 21

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back