OP
OP
Brian Drab

Brian Drab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet build. I couldn't imagine having my sump under my tank and my stand is 4ft tall. After my last tank I decided to never do that again. I also really dislike not having access to the inside of the tank from the front, I'm willing to bet you will hate that also.
I already have regrets but live and learn....

Picard's Lionfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rock wasn't fully submerged. The second batch should be much different than the first. Lots of sponges, stars, colors. Mine came in August. Not sure about march. I would still have it posted as a standby. Its quiet expensive to use TBS. The second batch will be the money batch. I would definitely lose some of the base rock and keep the 2and batch coming. You can store it in buckets and some cirulation or trade it with your LFS. I would be all over my installer to get my salt mix station hooked up. You are doing it the hard way. You can always glad 2 brute trashcans and mix a much larger amount at a time

OP
OP
Brian Drab

Brian Drab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rock wasn't fully submerged. The second batch should be much different than the first. Lots of sponges, stars, colors. Mine came in August. Not sure about march. I would still have it posted as a standby. Its quiet expensive to use TBS. The second batch will be the money batch. I would definitely lose some of the base rock and keep the 2and batch coming. You can store it in buckets and some cirulation or trade it with your LFS. I would be all over my installer to get my salt mix station hooked up. You are doing it the hard way. You can always glad 2 brute trashcans and mix a much larger amount at a time
Ahhh OK. Then I definitely will have them ship all the rock. Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
Brian Drab

Brian Drab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day#2 (yesterday):
Skimmer was working well and I had to add some water to replace evaporation. Did a Ammonia test and it wasn't quite to 1 ppm yet.

Day#3:
This morning before I left for work I checked the skimmer which was working well and did an Ammonia test. Looks like we are at about 1ppm so I assume when I go home from work today that I should do a water change. Any suggestions on how much of a water change I should do? Too little and it's a problem and I'm told too much and it will just make the tank cycle tank longer.

1585061647730.png

Bob Lauson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More Updates...

1/6/2020 - Plumbing

A few shots from underneath the tank.

IMG_20200106_185324.jpg

IMG_20200106_185337.jpg

IMG_20200106_185355.jpg

Starting to make some RO/DI in a temporary tub until my two 75 Gallon water tanks arrive.

IMG_20200106_190532.jpg

IMG_20200106_190537.jpg
I have never had good long term luck with those less expensive PVC ball valves. Mine have always become impossible to turn over the the years. While more expensive, the union ball valves seem to last forever and can be disassembled for cleaning. Of course my post is not very timely since it looks like that ship has sailed.

ball valve.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian Drab

Brian Drab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day#3 - Evening
I put the filter socks in.
I did around a 60 Gallon water change.
Checked the TDS and it's reporting 1 now (instead of 0) and it does indeed look like the DI Resin is all used up so I just ordered some more.
Salinity is a little high after the water change. Currently at 1.026. I lower that for sure on the next round.

After a couple hours I did another ammonia test. I see more of the yellowish tint so I know I'm below 1 again which is good.
1585099959162.png

OP
OP
Brian Drab

Brian Drab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured I would test the Ammonia with my Reefbot as well to see what it showed. It's crazy how subjective and varied the results can be. What to believe.......sigh

1585103618536.png

Picard's Lionfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said your DI resin is spent. How much RODI water have you made so far? I make between 150-200 gallons a month. My DI resin last at least 3 months or more. I also use a dual chamber DI set up.

As for water change, what did TBS recommend? I would follow Richard's instructions to the letter. Dont rush it to soon. I waited till mine was 0 for ammonia.

OP
OP
Brian Drab

Brian Drab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said your DI resin is spent. How much RODI water have you made so far? I make between 150-200 gallons a month. My DI resin last at least 3 months or more. I also use a dual chamber DI set up.
I last changed the Resin on 10/5/2019. I've made close to 600 gallons of water since then. So it makes sense.

As for water change, what did TBS recommend? I would follow Richard's instructions to the letter. Dont rush it to soon. I waited till mine was 0 for ammonia.
TBS Recommended to only change once it is above 1ppm. If it was 1.25ppm then do a 25% water change. The problem is, how practical is it to get to that level of resolution. I just don't see how it's possible to do visually with the test kits that are out there. That's why you use a robot like the ReefBot some would say.

OP
OP
Brian Drab

Brian Drab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day#4 - Wednesday 3/25
Nothing of note. Added water because of evaporation

Day#5 - Thursday 3/26
Added water because of evaporation and tested the water.
1585410850390.png

Day#6 - Friday 3/27
Added water because of evaporation and tested the water. It's the first time I've seen a bunch of snails out roaming around.
1585411014359.png

Day#7 - Saturday - 3/28 (Today)
Added water because of evaporation. Cleaned the skimmer (OMG the smell was horrible), changed the filter socks and tested the water.
1585411103558.png

OP
OP
Brian Drab

Brian Drab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately TBS gave my rock to someone else without even letting me know. I understand that we are in uncertain times but a heads-up would have been nice.

So may be awhile before I report back anything.

liverock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...that may have been because we are under lock down here...got the news Friday night......no going out....and the airlines are basically closed...we are in strange times here folks........I could have saved your months old rock for when things get back to normal...but I would rather send you the killer rock we just harvested.....and we are all happy!

sea ya
Richard TBS

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back