My 35 Hex tank

William Spak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where I will be updating progress on my 35 gallon hexagonal tank!

Current livestock

Fish;
2 DaVinci Clowns
Spot Blenny

Corals;
2 Ricordea Yuma Mushrooms
Xenia
Duncan(New)
2 small acan colonies

Inverts;
Various Hermits, 1 Babylonian Snail
1 HUGE black widow nem

Wish list; (give me some recommendations!)

Fish;
Fairy Wrasse
Flame Angel

Corals;
Torch
Zoas;
CB Bowsers
Hallucination
Valentine's day massacre

Inverts;
Fire Shrimp

Last edited:
OP
OP
William Spak

William Spak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures;

2 DaVincis

0.jpg

The Babylonians

0.jpg

The Whole Setup!

0.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
William Spak

William Spak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank, I like the shape of the hexagon. How long has it been up and running?

Since August of last year... it's been through a lot.
At one point I got a sweet lionfish.. but it died in like 2 seconds
Then I had a snowflake eel for a few weeks.. he ate once and then stopped eating and died.
I had 2 DaVinci clowns before and one of them ate the other one...
Now I have 2 smaller DaVincis that seem to be doing well!

OP
OP
William Spak

William Spak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Nitrate levels are starting to get back to normal after today's 30% water change!... hopefully this improvement keeps up and my corals begin to look nicer!

OP
OP
William Spak

William Spak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to start a weekly update series, if anyone is interested for some reason.

Nitrate levels still running a little high, but people at my LFS said it's perfectly fine.
They actually said I should not have changed so much of the water so soon, as I got rid of a lot of my good bacteria.
Also, they advised my to oxygenate my water, because I have a canister, my water does not get oxygenated, so they told me to just tilt the canister export head to break the waters surface a little.
It seems to have had a great effect on my goniapora and xenia, they loot amazing now that the water is oxygenated.
Unfortunately, it's pretty loud, so I'll probably invest in a bubbler, but I don't know how nice it will look, so maybe I'll just put it on when I'm not there, IDK.

Also, I have ditched the sump idea for now, I'll get one eventually, but people at my LFS said they're fine, I just have to clean them out.

I have been looking at some corals this week, like zoas, and acons. I really would like to have a nice zoa garden.
Also I've been looking at rock anenomes, they look pretty awesome.
My main goals for this upcoming month are to finish my rockwork, get it how I'd like, and get some corals that maybe aren't neon green and maroon for a change.
Again, I REALLY am getting attached to the idea of a zoa garden. It seems so cool to me to collect these rare and expensive corals and grow them. They also are so stunning.

Also considering an anenome crab down the line, once he can hide in my corals, that may be cool.

I have also figured out my fish for this tank. In addition to the clowns, I'd like a small flame angel along with a small tomini tang. A Male Mckoskers Flasher Wrasse. And a twin spot goby. (Maybe a barnacle blenny but it may be pushing the tank limits).

I purchased some reef-roids and polyp booster today, can't wait to feed my corals once they come in, I've heard its some good stuff.

This week we lost the halloween hermit, I think the other hermits didn't like him :/
Life goes on... RIP.

Well that about does it for my thoughts this week. Hopefully this reef can turn into something beautiful one day.

Peace

Will

OP
OP
William Spak

William Spak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so I'm gonna start this thing back up again and hopefully stick to it this time.

New additions;

An update from last time; I got a huge black widow anemone, its probably almost a foot long but not quite. I got it for 80 dollars (I KNOW RIGHT!!) But right now he's hiding, so you won't see him in the picture much. We just got a power outage and I don't think he handled it well, he looks healthy though.

Also, just added a tomini tang, I'm on the verge of over feeding my tank trying to get this guy to eat, and I think he has been! He spits some out but I'm conviced he's eaten at least something. He's starting to look a little bony because he hasn't really eaten since I got him but I think were making progress.

Also, just picked up a six headed duncan for 30 dollars, I couldn't believe it either... and a few days ago I picked up another yuma mushroom to my little garden.

Tank Issues;

pH was a little low, but now I'm adding some supplement for it and it seems to be going up.

Acans are super ticked, I don't know why. They were doing great but now they seem to be shriveling up and the edges of some heads are getting gray. I'm going to try and be more consistent with my water changes (15% weekly) and feedings 2x each week.

Again, the tang not eating. But, I think it's getting better so I would't consider it an issue for now. He's been coming out more than usual.

image0.jpeg

OP
OP
William Spak

William Spak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tomini tang just died, very upsetting and discouraging. I spent hours trying to do research and save him. Made me feel terrible... I'm getting more discouraged one problem after the other, as everything starts dying in front of me and I lack the knowledge and the money to save them. But, I'll try my best to keep my head up, learn from this and have a really nice tank I can be proud of some day...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back