My 54g Corner

bsfmaximus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started this tank in July of 2015 with the transfer of the contents of a 29g tank I tore down at the same time. This was the first tank I I have been making slow but steady progress. The pictures below were with my first couple pieces of coral - dragon eye zoas and gsp. I've since stuck with softies, leathers, and lps. I haven't ventured into the world of SPS, but have learned a LOT in the past (almost) two years and am continuing to learn everyday especially with the help of R2R members!
July 2015 2.jpg
July 2015.jpg

These first two pictures are from around July 2015. I will update with more pictures to show my progress as I unearth them from my photo library.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. What size is this one?

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started this tank in July of 2015 with the transfer of the contents of a 29g tank I tore down at the same time. This was the first tank I I have been making slow but steady progress. The pictures below were with my first couple pieces of coral - dragon eye zoas and gsp. I've since stuck with softies, leathers, and lps. I haven't ventured into the world of SPS, but have learned a LOT in the past (almost) two years and am continuing to learn everyday especially with the help of R2R members!
July 2015 2.jpg
July 2015.jpg

These first two pictures are from around July 2015. I will update with more pictures to show my progress as I unearth them from my photo library.

I like the aquascape, it suits the tank shape.

Be interesting to see it now!

OP
OP
bsfmaximus

bsfmaximus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
December 2015 - 6 months. Added Aqua C Remora S protein skimmer. Upgraded from HOB filter to canister filter. Upgraded lights (from dual t5s with stunner strips) to 24" and 18" Marine Orbits plus blue and white stunners. My wall hammer died around this time and I got another hammer (purple and green). Didn't realize why I was having issues with LPS yet...
6 Months in.JPG

OP
OP
bsfmaximus

bsfmaximus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
January 2016 - 7 months. Just some rearranging and a few new rocks. Leather toadstool really took off in growth. Added a surface skimmer attachment to my protein skimmer.
Started having random yellow "fuzz" accumulating on my sand and glass. Beginning of the battle with this stuff, still not sure what it was. I was guessing diatoms or cyano... but was told it was neither. Chemiclean seemed to help initially, then third and fourth uses of it made no difference.
7 Months in.JPG

OP
OP
bsfmaximus

bsfmaximus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
February 2016 - 8 months. Not much change but my hammers seemed happy and plump, and the yellow stuff on my sand bed improved some (this was within a day or two of using chemiclean for the second time).
8 Months in.JPG

OP
OP
bsfmaximus

bsfmaximus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
August 2016 - 1 year 1 month
It took me this long to learn about calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity levels and dosing (unfortunately thanks to the death of my second hammer). The months prior to this picture saw me lose a hammer, continue to have issues with yellow stuff on my sand, and my yellow tang stopped eating and died abruptly. I had just started to casually monitor and dose levels when I took this picture and added a new frogspawn.

Aug 16.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
bsfmaximus

bsfmaximus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
December 2016 - 1 year 5 months
I started noticing more growth than ever with my softies and my new frogspawn so I added another hammer and a candy cane.
Dec 16.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
bsfmaximus

bsfmaximus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
January 2017 - 1 year
My frogspawn all of the sudden retracted and wouldn't open. No issues with the candy cane or my purple hammer. I tried moving it to different areas of flow to no avail. I eventually put it in the corner of the tank because someone suggested too much light.
Jan 17.JPG

OP
OP
bsfmaximus

bsfmaximus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
February 2017 - 1 year 7 months
I JUST started monitoring my Alk/Ca/Mg. I was keeping an eye on them since August but not dosing daily nor keeping steady levels. I just realized the importance and within a few days of doing so my frogspawn started to perk back up. I added a duncan head and a couple new pieces of rock around this time.
Feb 17.JPG

weasel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1a9707573c64f80cfc5153d449b0e5f1.jpg

This my my 54 gal corner tank. These tanks are nice. My only complaint is the space underneath for anything. Barely fits my sump

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back