OP
mcghee33

mcghee33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's amazing! Can you show the design from when you placed the LEDs drilled the holes wired them up?
Are you using a controller/ how many power cords/ stuff like that?
I think it would shed some light for me as this will be my next step too.

Thank you

Yeah, so first of I did not drill in each led as led, that is a lot and can be done if you're up to it but for me it wasn't. I used apoxy because it is much easier to install the LEDs but harder to remove. But I took that chance and I don't really regret it. With this build since I used the higher powered meanwell 90 48 d I was able to drive all 72 LEDs with just 2 drivers, so 2 plugs. At this point I am not running a controller, I am using the pots that can with the kit. I will be purchasing an apex junior with a vdm in the future. For those of you purchasing this same kit know that you will probably need an extra spool of red and black wire. Also I recommend a weller soldering iron, the Rat shack one did not work out, I needed up using my friends 25 watt weller for most of the build, these can be found on our favorite jungle shop for about 10 dollars. As far as the design I laid this thing out 10 different times before I got it organized. In all reality I didn't have it right until I started to actually lay the LEDs onto the aluminum and start playing with the layout. I had only 6 UVA Suomi laid them out first so that I would cover most of the tank with these. Next I worked on the whites since I had only 24 of them I needed to make sure I had coverage with them and then I filled in the rest with blues. The hardest part is staggering your rows to prevent spotlighting which I successfully avoided. if you diagram out your led layout and post it in the forums here people can help you with your layout to make sure it's balanced

OP
OP
mcghee33

mcghee33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I am not having to use any fans at all and will not be. The aluminum is not even warm to the touch, it actually still feels room temperture. I am of course not running them anywhere near even 50 percent at this time. BUt I did test them before I put them over my tank and even at 100 percent for a few hours the U cahnnel barely is warm to the touch. I believe this is largely due to the fact that the aluminum that I got is pretty thick and I also went with 1.5 in wide u channel so I have pretty good surface area.

fyrfytr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the status of the cover for the metal? Love the idea of the design just dont like the industrial look

OP
OP
mcghee33

mcghee33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is still on order. It is being done as more of a favor by my LFS as I am really close with the owner so I am certainly not rushing him with it. So hopefully I will get it soon but since I am getting about 150 dollars in acrylic custom made for basically free I will wait patiently. I will post some pics as soon as I get the custom acrylic piece.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I am not having to use any fans at all and will not be. The aluminum is not even warm to the touch, it actually still feels room temperture. I am of course not running them anywhere near even 50 percent at this time. BUt I did test them before I put them over my tank and even at 100 percent for a few hours the U cahnnel barely is warm to the touch. I believe this is largely due to the fact that the aluminum that I got is pretty thick and I also went with 1.5 in wide u channel so I have pretty good surface area.
Even so, run at least a small fan, after 12 hours at 100%, it will warm up quite a bit. At lower amperage, you should be okay. Good Luck with your build, I would love to see it completed!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back