It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4784.jpeg
IMG_4775.jpeg
IMG_4777.jpeg
Ok so I got store credit for a few things and promptly bought a button scoly lol

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooo….this happened
IMG_5260.jpeg

When I got home she was here
IMG_5267.jpeg
IMG_5273.jpeg
IMG_5284.jpeg
IMG_5283.jpeg
IMG_5292.jpeg

She walked herself to a dark corner away from the pesky clowns. In the last picture, where that clown is but further back is where she is. Hanging upside down.

Maybe, hopefully she will survive…….there’s a song reference there

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooo….this happened
IMG_5260.jpeg

IMG_5267.jpeg
IMG_5273.jpeg
IMG_5284.jpeg
IMG_5283.jpeg
IMG_5292.jpeg

She walked herself to a dark corner away from the pesky clowns. In the last picture, where that clown is but further back is where she is. Hanging upside down.

I ordered 3D printed nem guards from eBay.

BUT until then I made this eye sore
IMG_5294.jpeg

It hangs off the side of the tank. Rocks keep it in place. Doesn’t hamper water flow. Should keep dumb nems safe

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Joe Glass Cages

I submitted my Glass Cage build…..I added the stand and the sump, cuz why not!

Granted this isn’t that much bigger than my current display- IT WILL be NEW! And an extra 25 gallons up top.

At least I set up this tank and keep the other one running…..

I will sell the old display- or give it away- probably keep the sump (40L) - may do something with it in the future. I’m excited and nervous….haven’t told the other half…..just gonna wait till it’s time to go pick it up!!!

Will need to rent something to haul it home……depending on price difference between picking it up at the airport or having it delivered

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooo….this happened
IMG_5260.jpeg

IMG_5267.jpeg
IMG_5273.jpeg
IMG_5284.jpeg
IMG_5283.jpeg
IMG_5292.jpeg

I’ve had BTA’s regenerate from single tentacles. Most likely will be fine as long as it was healthy in the first place.

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things looking good over here... can't wait to see what you get from Joe...
48x22x22 …. Sooo 4 inches deeper than my current tank (twss lol)….and two inches taller. The stand is gonna be 38 inches putting the top of the tank at 60 inchs.

I will need to work out how I want to mount my lights….off the wall or hanging…..I do have a t-5 fixture in my garage…but I’m not doing acros. But maybe I’ll put it up…

Currently I have to ai Primes 16hds on one side and 1 hydra 32hd on the other. I pulled par readings like a week ago…with the new tank being a smidge deeper I will either need to turn up the intensity (if I mount the. At the same height) or reduce the distance from the water to the light. I need to look at those t-5s, pretty sure it was one of those fixtures you can mount LEDs too…… I think hanging the lights may work better because of the ability to adjust the height- but I’m sure they make things that would allow you to adjust the lights up and down on the wall.

I’m 100% sure my current sump is OVER sized for my tank…..and I don’t want it taking up all the space (like it currently does) under the tank. It would be nice if I can get at least the ATO underneath the tank as well but that also means figuring out a way to fill it without removing it completely…..I’m also thinking I don’t really want all the stuff plugged in under the tank (and let’s be honest I need storage space for all the extra I have. Lots and lots to think about :D

And the plumbing don’t let me forget about that lol. I did end up going with the coast to cost external with and extra hole drilled (tank this size only comes with 2) sooo I’ll have overflow on one end and cross flows on the other. I currently have 1 Jebao 70 (I believe) running I do have another one brand new and in the box!

I will also need to pick up a new return pump. The current set up has the return line shoot straight up to the tank…..I believe this new tank will mean more plumbing and more head pressure ( mind out of the gutter please).

Reading on glass cadges website it
“ For Coast-to-Coast External Overflows, Glass Cages LLC requires Flex PVC plumbing. If plumbed with Hard PVC the compression of the aquarium pad upon filling aquarium with water could cause overflow to fail. Hard PVC plumbing will void warranty on the Coast-to-Coast External Overflows.”

I’m assuming this is because people plumb the tank and don’t take into consideration that once the tank is full with water (101gal =860 lbs) that it will settle putting upward pressure on the external overflow if the pipes have no where to go. I use vinyl tubing on my return pump now , but my drain is PVC.

The stand I’m getting will be unfinished - I liked the pictures of the stained stands they had. I will be painting the interior white to seal it (and probably the top where the tank and pad sits).

This went WAY WAY way over my original budget - but it is what it is. This tank is still a comfortable size if we end up moving. I wouldn’t want to move something bigger - empty weight 175 without bracing or over flow)

On another note … current tank actually sits parallel to the floor joists. This tank (when only filled with water) will be 220 lbs more than the other. According to the math on how to determine floor joists load capacity I believe it should be fine, but I may add braces between the joist to help the load disperse to the joist that run on either side of the three that will carry the weight.
image.jpg

Where it shows the basement stairs is also where the stairs are located that go to the 2nd floor.

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
48x22x22 …. Sooo 4 inches deeper than my current tank (twss lol)….and two inches taller. The stand is gonna be 38 inches putting the top of the tank at 60 inchs.

I will need to work out how I want to mount my lights….off the wall or hanging…..I do have a t-5 fixture in my garage…but I’m not doing acros. But maybe I’ll put it up…

Currently I have to ai Primes 16hds on one side and 1 hydra 32hd on the other. I pulled par readings like a week ago…with the new tank being a smidge deeper I will either need to turn up the intensity (if I mount the. At the same height) or reduce the distance from the water to the light. I need to look at those t-5s, pretty sure it was one of those fixtures you can mount LEDs too…… I think hanging the lights may work better because of the ability to adjust the height- but I’m sure they make things that would allow you to adjust the lights up and down on the wall.

I’m 100% sure my current sump is OVER sized for my tank…..and I don’t want it taking up all the space (like it currently does) under the tank. It would be nice if I can get at least the ATO underneath the tank as well but that also means figuring out a way to fill it without removing it completely…..I’m also thinking I don’t really want all the stuff plugged in under the tank (and let’s be honest I need storage space for all the extra I have. Lots and lots to think about :D

And the plumbing don’t let me forget about that lol. I did end up going with the coast to cost external with and extra hole drilled (tank this size only comes with 2) sooo I’ll have overflow on one end and cross flows on the other. I currently have 1 Jebao 70 (I believe) running I do have another one brand new and in the box!

I will also need to pick up a new return pump. The current set up has the return line shoot straight up to the tank…..I believe this new tank will mean more plumbing and more head pressure ( mind out of the gutter please).

“ For Coast-to-Coast External Overflows, Glass Cages LLC requires Flex PVC plumbing. If plumbed with Hard PVC the compression of the aquarium pad upon filling aquarium with water could cause overflow to fail. Hard PVC plumbing will void warranty on the Coast-to-Coast External Overflows.”

I’m assuming this is because people plumb the tank and don’t take into consideration that once the tank is full with water (101gal =860 lbs) that it will settle putting upward pressure on the external overflow if the pipes have no where to go. I use vinyl tubing on my return pump now , but my drain is PVC.

The stand I’m getting will be unfinished - I liked the pictures of the stained stands they had. I will be painting the interior white to seal it (and probably the top where the tank and pad sits).

This went WAY WAY way over my original budget - but it is what it is. This tank is still a comfortable size if we end up moving. I wouldn’t want to move something bigger - empty weight 175 without bracing or over flow)

On another note … current tank actually sits parallel to the floor joists. This tank (when only filled with water) will be 220 lbs more than the other. According to the math on how to determine floor joists load capacity I believe it should be fine, but I may add braces between the joist to help the load disperse to the joist that run on either side of the three that will carry the weight.
image.jpg

Where it shows the basement stairs is also where the stairs are located that go to the 2nd floor.
@F i s h y I didn’t mean to write a book!

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had BTA’s regenerate from single tentacles. Most likely will be fine as long as it was healthy in the first place.
So I’m pretty sure it was up there trying to split. I got the original 4 years ago. It was in Good enough shape to walk itself across the rock scrap and to a dark corner. I’ve found most newly split nems tend to go into hiding for a bit, probably trying to escape my demonic clown fish. I’ll just keep an eye on it and hope for the best.
IMG_5055.jpeg
IMG_5030.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
a book ... :oops: i just expected pictures...;)
should be fine with weight on floor ,spanning 3 joists , tied into header beam above opening of stair wall...:)

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a book ... :oops: i just expected pictures...;)
should be fine with weight on floor ,spanning 3 joists , tied into header beam above opening of stair wall...:)
Busy posting those in the Tunze thread :D

And I figured…but between you saying I should be good and that pesky math I’m not worried!

I kinda want bigger BUT I’m a renter SOO probably not the best idea because I’m not paying to reinforce the floors….that and the cost to go bigger……I’ll be financing a good portion of this tank

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yes ,should have wall or posts supporting stair wall, load bearing wall... ;) :)

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes ,should have wall or posts supporting stair wall, load bearing wall... ;) :)
Yes another thing I knew! I got some random bits of knowledge shove in my brain. And this is one of them! But it also seems obvious that the only wall in the downstairs is load bearing lol.

Still did my homework

And my math

1 + 1 is 11
2+2 is 22
11+22= 123 don’t ask me!!!!!

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image.jpg

This excitement is why most reefers end up with multiple tanks in the first couple years.
Love all the plans.

For the lights don't forget about spillage at that height if you will be sitting to look at it.

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This excitement is why most reefers end up with multiple tanks in the first couple years.
Love all the plans.

For the lights don't forget about spillage at that height if you will be sitting to look at it.
I will just a tall chair lol

So I figure there are options to fix that - besides me sitting up higher.

I will also need to make sure I keep my step stool near by….the tank will only be 4 inches shorter than me on the stand lol

My current stand is 5inches shorter I believe…. And although that’s great because I can reach into the tank the viewing isn’t as nice.

And to be honest I spend most of my time standing in front of my tank currently. I do have a bar chair I sit in at times.

I’m sure there is a group of people I may know who can help me solve the issue of light spillage

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 76.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back