My 80 Rimless Mixed Reef

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
1,595
Reaction score
473
Location
Tullahoma, Tn
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a very successful 125 Mixed Reef tank for 4 yrs until me and my wife bought our first home 2 months ago. I lost everything during the move, all within 48 hrs of moving it. So brings me to now. I figured if I’m starting over I may as well start over with the tank and full setup that I’ve always wanted since starting saltwater. So I bought a brand new 80 gallon rimless tank and a barely used 40 breeder to use for a sump. So here is the beginning of my build thread.
 
I built my own stand with some of my wife’s help Nothing special, but I’m happy with the end results. Wished I would’ve made it a little taller but I wanted to be able to reach into tank without a ladder of any kind. I’m only 5’-2” tall.
 
7555E670-612E-4016-89E9-614EA92DF92D.jpeg
29AD5D74-B1D8-494C-ADBC-E430493DA17D.jpeg
2AE65D72-3909-4913-B5B6-3DE202389A18.jpeg
3B52E8F0-0700-45CC-A3FB-72A49F71A615.jpeg
93313C69-3A62-42D5-9177-23DBBD0416A9.jpeg
BAEC776B-056C-4663-A12F-0BB8B5E60BE8.jpeg
F26E1ADB-EC9F-4915-B84A-02B46E861450.jpeg
D3E54423-3DAD-4B4A-A91D-0AEFF9D749AF.jpeg
7555E670-612E-4016-89E9-614EA92DF92D.jpeg
29AD5D74-B1D8-494C-ADBC-E430493DA17D.jpeg
2AE65D72-3909-4913-B5B6-3DE202389A18.jpeg
3B52E8F0-0700-45CC-A3FB-72A49F71A615.jpeg
93313C69-3A62-42D5-9177-23DBBD0416A9.jpeg
BAEC776B-056C-4663-A12F-0BB8B5E60BE8.jpeg
F26E1ADB-EC9F-4915-B84A-02B46E861450.jpeg
D3E54423-3DAD-4B4A-A91D-0AEFF9D749AF.jpeg
7555E670-612E-4016-89E9-614EA92DF92D.jpeg
29AD5D74-B1D8-494C-ADBC-E430493DA17D.jpeg
2AE65D72-3909-4913-B5B6-3DE202389A18.jpeg
3B52E8F0-0700-45CC-A3FB-72A49F71A615.jpeg
93313C69-3A62-42D5-9177-23DBBD0416A9.jpeg
BAEC776B-056C-4663-A12F-0BB8B5E60BE8.jpeg
7555E670-612E-4016-89E9-614EA92DF92D.jpeg
29AD5D74-B1D8-494C-ADBC-E430493DA17D.jpeg
2AE65D72-3909-4913-B5B6-3DE202389A18.jpeg
3B52E8F0-0700-45CC-A3FB-72A49F71A615.jpeg
93313C69-3A62-42D5-9177-23DBBD0416A9.jpeg
7555E670-612E-4016-89E9-614EA92DF92D.jpeg
29AD5D74-B1D8-494C-ADBC-E430493DA17D.jpeg
2AE65D72-3909-4913-B5B6-3DE202389A18.jpeg
3B52E8F0-0700-45CC-A3FB-72A49F71A615.jpeg
7555E670-612E-4016-89E9-614EA92DF92D.jpeg
29AD5D74-B1D8-494C-ADBC-E430493DA17D.jpeg
2AE65D72-3909-4913-B5B6-3DE202389A18.jpeg
Yes
7555E670-612E-4016-89E9-614EA92DF92D.jpeg
29AD5D74-B1D8-494C-ADBC-E430493DA17D.jpeg
2AE65D72-3909-4913-B5B6-3DE202389A18.jpeg
7555E670-612E-4016-89E9-614EA92DF92D.jpeg
29AD5D74-B1D8-494C-ADBC-E430493DA17D.jpeg
7555E670-612E-4016-89E9-614EA92DF92D.jpeg
29AD5D74-B1D8-494C-ADBC-E430493DA17D.jpeg
7555E670-612E-4016-89E9-614EA92DF92D.jpeg


5443A169-C397-4E46-9AD6-5C7CCFCDFB2B.jpeg


6B0A2ACD-794A-4AB1-A7B2-1916730B1595.jpeg


24745F7E-EBB5-43FE-A0F0-486B7A2B79C8.jpeg


396FE2B3-88C1-42B4-B2DF-36191F0B194C.jpeg


20166BB0-8CAD-4D7F-990E-24D135E670FA.jpeg


A1AC10BF-4486-4C1E-9897-41C4937B4F90.jpeg
 
I went with 10” y’all baffles. Then I decided to do an under over under baffle hoping to help with air bubbles from my skinner.
 
Here’s my tank and stand when I first set it up. I actually built the stand while I was waiting for tank to come in.
 
Didn’t get many pics of the plumbing but had to go with pvc. Tank came with vinyl barbed bulkheads so had to order new slip bulkheads from Bulk Reef Supply. This is my first drilled tank so The plumbing really about kicked my tail. Not 100% happy with return but it’s working great.

2B72D985-7928-4CDC-98CE-5DCC05DFBCCA.jpeg
 
I will be running a Bubble magnus Curve 5 skimmer that I already had from last tank and for now I have a mag 9.5 pump for return.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new