My 87 Gallon tank build

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 5, 2014
Messages
2,254
Reaction score
1,044
Location
Orange County, CA, USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my plan was to do a tank upgrade in 2017. Did I say "was"? yes I did. I was OK with my current tank last year accepting the fact that it has a few draw-back that I could improve. I made a mistake looking on RC web site. 1 of the members there posting a tank sale post. It is/was a Leemar, and the configuration of the tank is just what I wanted (38x26x20 - width x depth x height). It has 4 sides star fire glass and a beautiful custom build stand. I ignored it a few times but then I pulled the trigger. Took me a few months to pick it up. I stayed in my garage from last Thanks Giving until 9/11/2015 (What a day!).

Tank: 38x26x20 (width x depth x height)
Sump: 30x20x16 (width x depth x height)
Return pump: Tunze 107.50
Power Head: 2-3 tunze pumps 6095
Light: 6 39W ATI dimmable sun power with 2 reefBrites bars (1 is blue only, the other is blue and white); I also have a few other options like 2 Maxspect Mazarra P series fixtures
Cooling system: JBJ chiller 1/5 HP (debating to buy or not) and Fans
ATO: Tunze 3155
Controller: Apex gold
Dosing: BM T101 and 1 BRS dosing pump for KalkWasser
Skimmer: I have 2 skimmer now, 1 is the BM BAC6 and a reefOctopus classic 110 space saver PS. I am also planning to go skimmer-less and just do macro algae with low bioLoad. That works for me now with the current tank. 1 fewer thing to clean


Here are a few pics
20150913_125724_zps6a9iiske.jpeg

IMG_20150924_123007_zpsleuz5pmr.jpg


Into the house (Yay)

20150914_224515_zpspq3y8rzd.jpeg



Next thing would be mounting the light
 
I surely progress slowly....So for the last 2 weeks I got the old shelf down, put new support for the light rack and last night finished the light hanging kit... Plumbing is next. I had some trouble with the bulkhead for the return pump. The hole is 1.25 in so the schedule 40 1/2 bulkhead is a bit smaller than I like while schedule 80 1/2 bulkhead, from MarineDepot, is a tiny bit too big. I ordered another schedule 80 bulkhead from BRS as they claim the hole for their bulkhead is only 1.25; I doubt it but enlarging the hole is kind of discouraging for me as I don't want to flip the tank up side down not mentioning testing if the bottom is tempered glass!
20151003_173819_zpsyh8s2hut.jpeg

20151003_224053_zpss17dc5tw.jpeg
 
I am going to keep it the way it is as now I found a use for it. It was a mistake but it is perfect for this tank...Just need to cut the acrylic :)
 
So after a long delay with all the excuses, I finally transfer all the stuff from my old tank to the new tank and shut down the old tank. I still need to fix the durso stand pipe as it is huge and looks ridiculous. It is very quiet unlike my previous durso. I was not sure I would go with this or switch to the Maggie.....

gtm0wRu_zpscnnxzcks.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 35.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 14.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 11 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new