My 90 gallon mixed reef project tank! (From garbage to greatness)

mryan04290

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I’ll give this a shot and see how well I can document my tank process.

This is my second reef tank ever and I was given the whole setup. It’s a 90(?) gallon tank built by Dallas aquarium and pond co which I can’t find any info on the company. Not sure what the brand of the sump is but I think it’s either a 10 or 20 gallon sump. It was in really rough shape when I got it. It was covered in green algae and coralline algae. There was only a few critters left inside BUT it was free and came with everything I need for success including an (almost) brand new ai hydra 32 on top and a ai prime 16 fuge light Underneath.
71598697027__26E77CF2-EE53-415D-B520-EEE032709B77.jpeg

Plumbing it was a bit tricky because this is my first experience with a sump but after moving it to my house from the place it came from I managed to figure it out and didn’t flood my downstairs neighbors!

Here are the critters that survived!
71599234266__9F4F9B96-1D4F-40D4-BF62-EC6BFAABE7B8.jpeg

Brittle star (that is absolutely MASSIVE)
Sand sifter star
Turbo snail (I think)
Coral banded shrimp
I also got a bunch of GSP on the rocks and had some growing on the overflow which didn’t survive since it was in open air for about 6 hours. There was a bunch of zoas on the rocks in the tank so I’ll most likely keep those but one rock had some ugly green palys that I don’t particularly want.

After about 2 hours of scraping and scrubbing in the middle of a storm we managed to clean her up real nice and filled it up with water from the tank that we had saved in order to avoid or minimize a cycle! Here’s the result of that!
IMG_4994.jpeg

spent most of my night making RODI water and mixing saltwater till about 2am so I could make sure the sump and return were plumbed correctly and I didn’t turn my house into a artificial reef. When I nervously turned the pump on everything worked perfectly (phew) only thing next is my skimmer! I don’t know too much about skimmers as to how to tune them but I’ll mess around with it today after work and get it up and running.
IMG_4995.jpeg

The tank came with a GIANT plateau shaped rock right in the middle which was kind of ugly but I think I can make it useable just need to get the GSP off of it somehow. I plan on getting a bunch more rock and building up to that one to create a sort of cave in the center. Here’s what it all looked like this morning as my lights were ramping up:

IMG_4996.jpeg

Things are looking up so far and everything is all peachy inside the tank so far! Still have plenty to go.

I think my plans for this tank are a mixed reef and kind of experimenting with corals I’m not the most comfortable keeping (SPS). This is my first experience of a large tank like this so it should be a journey but everyone says bigger is better and I have no issues with my nano reef tank and haven’t had any issues yet! So crossing my fingers with this one.

As far as stocking goes I’m 100% open to ideas for fish and inverts! I know I want some sort of tang and any other worker fish I can squeeze in!

Stay tuned for updates!!

OP
OP
mryan04290

mryan04290

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any skimmer professionals feel free to chime in!

And any stocking professionals chime in as well!!

OP
OP
mryan04290

mryan04290

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: yesterday I spent most of the day shopping around looking for the right rocks. I wanted something to tie into the giant plateau rock and make it look a little nicer. Bought 5 dry rocks and got my water tested while I was there and everything looked good for the most part!
IMG_5015.jpeg

Luckily I didn’t pay full price for the rocks because I traded the ugly paly colony and some of the GSP rocks to get the price knocked down!

All of the coral in the tank that it came with is opening up just fine as well
IMG_5016.jpeg
IMG_5017.jpeg

I also got the protein skimmer working after messing with it for an hour!

Next on the agenda is getting rid of the rest of the GSP on the plateau rock and clearing off a ton of the algae growth on the other rocks!

OP
OP
mryan04290

mryan04290

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright! First fish is in! Not my ideal first fish and the tang police MAY come for me but I was doing a collection dive last night and stumbled upon a gorgeous small Atlantic blue tang!
IMG_5086.jpeg

I plan on keeping it for a while as it’s still growing and then eventually pawn it off to a LFS but for now dale the tang *named after the place he was found ft lauderdale* only reason I took the tang was because my tank has very well established live rock with a ton of algae growth so this should help out as well as make the transition easier.

OP
OP
mryan04290

mryan04290

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: 9/18/23 added a cleaner shrimp since Dale started flashing. More of a preventative thing for parasites as he is finally eating and exploring his new surroundings! Also picked up a Bali green slimer frag for the tank more of an experiment for me since I haven’t been able to keep acros alive so I figured I would start again with an easier species! And a mystery Zoe has opened up finally after Dale and the snails completely cleaned up all the algae!
IMG_5100.jpeg

Attachments

• filtered-43B7B267-1CF9-4372-833C-E79AAEFC8B0F.mp4
    11.9 MB
OP
OP
mryan04290

mryan04290

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty! Lots of stuff happened in the past couple weeks with the tank!

First of all got my RODI system setup so I can stop buying water and start making it myself!

Then I added 2 Picasso clowns (who are still really shy and stick to the upper part of the tank) im trying to get them to explore more!
IMG_5137.jpeg

After about a week I decided “hey I haven’t bought any coral in awhile” and I went to my LFS got some Gonipora and placed an order from @AquaSD and got a BEAUTIFUL long tentacle nem as well as some purple Duncan’s purple ring blasto a gorgeous trachy and a mystery freebie they threw into my order (which was awesome so hats off to them 11/10 shopping experience!) had a little bit of a hiccup with shipping delays but everyone pulled through!
IMG_5264.jpeg
IMG_5261.jpeg
IMG_5262.jpeg

Definitely feeling a little bit of a green overload in the tank now time to get some reds and oranges going!

Lastly I got a melenurus wrasse at the LFS and some Sonic the hedgehog galexea and a gorgeous millepora!

And here’s a full tank shot to round out today’s update! Really starting to like the way the tank is going so far! Everyone inside is super happy and eating as well. Just need those dang clowns to move out of the corner.
IMG_5263.jpeg

OP
OP
mryan04290

mryan04290

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today we got crafty! I was having trouble keeping sand off my trachy and didn’t want to spend the money on a sand frag holder so the DIYer came out today! I spend a lot of time diving in Venice Florida for fossils and have acquired a bunch of broken dugong vertebrae so I drilled a big ole hole in on and mounted the frag plug right inside! Quick easy AND effective
IMG_5277.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back