My 90 gallon tank journey

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@scott021467 just came over today to video my tank for his YouTube channel. Had a blast the video should be up soonish Scott claims my tank is worth three episodes he's the boss so I believe him I would have been happy with two mins but he said no it's to good of a tank.

Everyone tells me who see my tank in real life that my pictures do not do my tank justice and I agree so hopefully with Scott's video everyone can see my tank the way I do everyday and enjoy my little piece of the ocean on his YouTube channel.

Couple of thank you's for my tank being able to look as good as it does.

@tsm corals for always having the best fish around
@Battlecorals and @aquavista99 your corals are amazing and it shows in my tank.

@locito277 for the Oregon tort that is front stage in my tank

Plenty of other people in this hobby as well Tulio at reefbrite and everyone who has let me pick their brain to make my system the way it is thank you so much and the knowledge I've learned from this website is priceless.

Thanks again Scott for taking time out of this holiday weekend to video my tank I had a blast and can't wait for the three month update.

As soon as the video is up I'll add it on this thread. For everyone to enjoy. Also check out scotts other videos on youtube

IMG_0787.JPG

Set up on the First day

And well let's just say it looks a little bit better then that now
IMG_2175.JPG

And aquavista the Pink Floyd came in awesome and with in an hour of acclimation was like the coral was always in the tank thanks for that drop ship. And the freebies as well. Order from him people he's the best.

And don't worry Scott got some close up pics of my cat. As I know half of u who follow this thread only care about the cat

IMG_2068.JPG

Have a happy holiday weekend

Justin and Kelley

Glad to see your tank taking off plus thanks for all the advice!

scott021467

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@scott021467 just came over today to video my tank for his YouTube channel. Had a blast the video should be up soonish Scott claims my tank is worth three episodes he's the boss so I believe him I would have been happy with two mins but he said no it's to good of a tank.

Everyone tells me who see my tank in real life that my pictures do not do my tank justice and I agree so hopefully with Scott's video everyone can see my tank the way I do everyday and enjoy my little piece of the ocean on his YouTube channel.

Couple of thank you's for my tank being able to look as good as it does.

@tsm corals for always having the best fish around
@Battlecorals and @aquavista99 your corals are amazing and it shows in my tank.

@locito277 for the Oregon tort that is front stage in my tank

Plenty of other people in this hobby as well Tulio at reefbrite and everyone who has let me pick their brain to make my system the way it is thank you so much and the knowledge I've learned from this website is priceless.

Thanks again Scott for taking time out of this holiday weekend to video my tank I had a blast and can't wait for the three month update.

As soon as the video is up I'll add it on this thread. For everyone to enjoy. Also check out scotts other videos on youtube

IMG_0787.JPG

Set up on the First day

And well let's just say it looks a little bit better then that now
IMG_2175.JPG

And aquavista the Pink Floyd came in awesome and with in an hour of acclimation was like the coral was always in the tank thanks for that drop ship. And the freebies as well. Order from him people he's the best.

And don't worry Scott got some close up pics of my cat. As I know half of u who follow this thread only care about the cat

IMG_2068.JPG

Have a happy holiday weekend

Justin and Kelley
Believe me the pleasure was all mine and Scotty and I had a great time. I am going through all the video now and working on episode 1. I will let you know as soon as it's out.

OP
OP
justingraham

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick photo update fts if you will update

I bought a dslr camera and messing around with that maby I'll post some of those photos up as well
IMG_2234.JPG
IMG_2233.JPG

Everything is growing someone knocked the green slimer over and I now have two frags of green slimer

Other then that dosing 12ml of triton a day I was sick as anything this last week so the tank has been on cruise control and everything seems to be growing so yipee

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Justin - Thanks for sharing your thread with me. You've certainly done some great work here. I like how you post updates on your life as well as the tank progress. I'd like to do that as well but I'm too old and boring. :)

About the only thing I see that I would have done different is to counter sink the lights more into the canopy That way, the bulbs are not visible in photos and it cuts down on the light spill. Just my two cents. Keep up the great work.

OP
OP
justingraham

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Justin - Thanks for sharing your thread with me. You've certainly done some great work here. I like how you post updates on your life as well as the tank progress. I'd like to do that as well but I'm too old and boring. :)

About the only thing I see that I would have done different is to counter sink the lights more into the canopy That way, the bulbs are not visible in photos and it cuts down on the light spill. Just my two cents. Keep up the great work.
So that was my one mess up
(And it might be in the next video of my tank as I know I talked about it)

I wanted the lights 12 inches above the tank and I achieved that cause I measured forty times and cut once.

But that made the lights roughly 14 inches above the water and when I did the par map I did not like my numbers so hence why u can see the leds from under the canopy.

The way I made the canopy I didnt a count on messing it up so I didn't make an easy way to adjust the frame up and down. Only a way to adjust the lights up and down.

And this does kinda bother me so I have been thinking of ways to fix the problem.
1) take off the canopy from the wall ( I wouldn't have lights on my tank when I'm doing this) and switch out the back 2x6 with one that has the proper holes an inch or two higher as to not see the lights. It would take awile and I would have to stain the 2x6 the same color. And hope the stain still matches the rest of the canopy.
2) skin the bottom part of the canopy making it two inches longer. Although this would be the easiest way it still has some problems. One the comply would loose that flush look as the bottom part would be a quarter inch ticket then the grimes part up top I would also have to remove the cool piece of trim that's in the middle.
3) I could add the same trim I have up top on the bottom. I don't know how I would like the look of this. I also run into the fact that the stain might not match either.

So if you have any ideas I'm all ears as well.

Thanks for looking they my thread and as a reward here are some photos

The most up to date pick of what corals are in my tank and where they are located
FullSizeRender 3.jpg
FullSizeRender 2.jpg
FullSizeRender 4.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg
The Pink Floyd isn't dead I think it's just adjusting to my lights as it's polops are out and when the blues are on it really glows yellow.

IMG_2218.JPG

For some reason my hood rat cat loves sleeping in the sink

It's also amazing how if you flip a photo it changes everything
IMG_2218.JPG

Now she's punching you.

Justin

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that was my one mess up
(And it might be in the next video of my tank as I know I talked about it)

I wanted the lights 12 inches above the tank and I achieved that cause I measured forty times and cut once.

But that made the lights roughly 14 inches above the water and when I did the par map I did not like my numbers so hence why u can see the leds from under the canopy.

The way I made the canopy I didnt a count on messing it up so I didn't make an easy way to adjust the frame up and down. Only a way to adjust the lights up and down.

And this does kinda bother me so I have been thinking of ways to fix the problem.
1) take off the canopy from the wall ( I wouldn't have lights on my tank when I'm doing this) and switch out the back 2x6 with one that has the proper holes an inch or two higher as to not see the lights. It would take awile and I would have to stain the 2x6 the same color. And hope the stain still matches the rest of the canopy.
2) skin the bottom part of the canopy making it two inches longer. Although this would be the easiest way it still has some problems. One the comply would loose that flush look as the bottom part would be a quarter inch ticket then the grimes part up top I would also have to remove the cool piece of trim that's in the middle.
3) I could add the same trim I have up top on the bottom. I don't know how I would like the look of this. I also run into the fact that the stain might not match either.

Justin

There is option 4 which is to raise the light and leave the canopy. I know you said you wanted the lights 12" off the water but LED actually has a wider spread from higher up. I'm quite certain you could still achieve the par readings necessary to grow out all those acros. BTW - Looks like you are a fan of Battle Corals. Adam has some nice stuff for sure.

OP
OP
justingraham

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is option 4 which is to raise the light and leave the canopy. I know you said you wanted the lights 12" off the water but LED actually has a wider spread from higher up. I'm quite certain you could still achieve the par readings necessary to grow out all those acros. BTW - Looks like you are a fan of Battle Corals. Adam has some nice stuff for sure.
Number one yea I only get my corals from two people and possibly a third. The two are Adam and Tim or aquavista on this site. I believe (and I saw on ur thread as well ) that if you get a good product from a good vendor slash dealer who has a good qt practice and takes pride in his work it extends the chances of success in your system. So I rather pay a decent amount (and I don't think either of them are over priced either) to get a better quality product. O the wife wants a torch type garden so I will get them from WWC as I believe they do the same thing as Adam and Tim. Same thing with my fish I rather it more to get more. And tsm corals fish are the nicest healthyiest fish I have ever seen.

Now with option four. Now this is also the reason I went with metal halides. I wanted to go with lights I couldn't mess with. Everyone who has had success with the lights I have ran it at that height for this time with this par. So if I raise it up those two inches I was loosening close to 80-100 par. Tulio from reefbrite has told me that the xhos do not really show up on a par meter which could be true but to go from 290 to 200 par where my Oregon tort is I rather not chance it and see an inch of my lights. But if I were to raise it up what would you recomend I do with my peak time? Would I add an hour to it?

Thanks for your ideas

OP
OP
justingraham

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's right and I want the Oreos like this
u take two Oreos and remove one side of each

You then put together the two sides with cream to make an ultimate Oreo truffle

The left over Oreo piece is to be given away to the birds no one else but the birds

OP
OP
justingraham

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watching things grow

IMG_2289.JPG
IMG_2290.JPG
IMG_2291.JPG
IMG_2292.JPG
IMG_2293.JPG
IMG_2294.JPG
IMG_2295.JPG
IMG_2296.JPG
IMG_2297.JPG
IMG_2298.JPG
IMG_2299.JPG
IMG_2300.JPG
IMG_2301.JPG
IMG_2303.JPG
IMG_2304.JPG
IMG_2305.JPG
IMG_2306.JPG
IMG_2307.JPG
IMG_2308.JPG
IMG_2309.JPG
IMG_2310.JPG
IMG_2311.JPG
IMG_2312.JPG
IMG_2313.JPG
IMG_2314.JPG
IMG_2315.JPG

I bought a Craig's list ghetto hdr camera I stick with it but every day I try so hopefully soon I'll get better and post them up

How bigs the baby
IMG_2242.JPG
So big

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice pix.
See if the lens is getting hit with the light and maybe shade it.

OP
OP
justingraham

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O some top downs
I made a ghetto pvc magnifying glass combo and well it works enjoy
IMG_2316.JPG
IMG_2317.JPG
IMG_2319.JPG
IMG_2320.JPG
IMG_2325.JPG
IMG_2326.JPG
IMG_2327.JPG
IMG_2328.JPG
IMG_2329.JPG
IMG_2330.JPG
IMG_2331.JPG
IMG_2337.JPG
IMG_2338.JPG
IMG_2340.JPG
IMG_2341.JPG

I'm really enjoying these corals from aquavista
Pink Floyd
IMG_2334.JPG

And reef raft skittles I'm so mad I put this in a hard place to get photos
IMG_2321.JPG
IMG_2324.JPG

It has like a true rainbow type color to it

Well thanks for looking

Justin

OP
OP
justingraham

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked this elsewhere but I'll ask this here as well(i coppied and pasted it)

ok so I am running the triton method and want to be at that 8 dkh I messed up and am a little lower.

I am at 7.62 consistantly with doseing 13ml of each supliment daily.

I was told that each ml you dose of triton ads .1 dkh to 50 gallons. For easy maths sake I have 100 gallon tank

so onto my question am I correct in thinking that if I dose 15ml a day for four days and then on the fif day drop it back down to 13 ml I will be at that 8.02 dkh or am I underthinkimg this

Thanks

Justin

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 33 27.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 27 22.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 41 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back