My Aqueon 8 Gallon Nano Tank!

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

My name is Nathaniel and I am from Pensacola, FL! This is my reef tank!

Here is my Setup:

Aqueon 8 Gallon Tank with built in sump/filtration area
Coralife Nano-Cube Skimmer
Petco Branded Heater
Fluval Sea Nano Light Fixture
18 lbs of liverock
Caribsea Arag-Alive Sand Texture Substrate

Here is my Livestock and Their Names:

Yellow Watchman Goby: Gobes
Maroon Anemone Fish: Freddie
Skunk Cleaner Shrimp: Jacques (like the one from Finding Nemo)
Purple Basslet: Maximilian
Bi-Color Blenny: Blenns
Blue Gudgeon Goby: Gudgeon
5x Caribbean Nerite Snails
3x Scarlet Legg Hermit Crabs
2x Emerald Reef Crabs (small clawed variety)

I have many corals consisting of zoas, mushrooms, LPS, and one SPS I just got. I don’t know the name of my zoas, just bought them because I thought they looked cool. I have some superman mushrooms, and one Ricordea mushroom. I have some branching hammers, one plain ‘ole torch, a branching duncan, and my favorite, one Multicolored Blasto. I am not sure of what kind of SPS I have but I think it is some sort of montipora, if someone could clarify what it is I would greatly appreciate it. My LFS separates corals based on care requirements, then price point, and all my corals came from the “beginner†or “hardy†tanks.

To deal with potential heavy bio-load, I run bio-clear which also helps remove phosphates since I have no room for a phosphate reactor or similar equipment.

I am well aware that some of my fish do not belong in the size tank that they are currently housed in. I can assure you though that they are some of the best taken care of fish that I know of and they are always attentive and happy to see me. I am a college student so if the tank seems like it was cheaply setup, it was. I also live on campus so I am limited to the size tank that I can have.

Enough talk, here’s some pictures!

Here's a front shot of the entire tank.
WP_20141014_15_40_52_Pro.jpg

Gobes peaking out from behind his cave, i made sure that were plenty of spaces for him and his companions to hide. Also, these are my superman mushrooms.
WP_20141014_15_41_34_Pro.jpg

My camera shy Maroon Clown and my torch coral. See how clean the nerites keep this rock? I think it's their favorite.
WP_20141014_15_42_35_Pro.jpg

Here's my SPS coral, not sure what exactly it is but I think it might be a montipora. Came from the "hardy" section at my LFS.
WP_20141014_00_08_41_Pro.jpg

Here's a shot with actinic lighting on, I think this is where the fluval sea nano LED fixture shines. (No pun intended)
WP_20141014_15_43_13_Pro.jpg

Let me know what you guys think!

760mason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off to a nice start. Although your Maroon clown will out grow that tank. I love small tanks but they have there problems. Are you running a skimmer,(sorry I just saw in your post that you have a skimmer) sump, filtration? With a tank that size you really need constant water changes. I would look into a sump. Gives you a small buffer zone.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back