My Australian 950lt SPS tank

ohio reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the most amazing rose bubble I've seen! So the big companies like live aquaria don't ship to you? Let us know if you get a hold of a clam! Defiantly my favorite part of my tank.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

OP
OP
Aussie Reefer

Aussie Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks yall! Yes Ohio I got hold of a nice clam, and I already had one pretty nice one. My next little project is now to make a top down box to get some decent pics of them to share with you guys!
I added a large biopellet reactor to system tonight...
x60m.jpg

0qoy.jpg

its an old kalk reactor that is recirculating. It works great! around 150lp passes through it I guess.
Thanks for looking :thumbsup

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let's see the clam! :)

OP
OP
Aussie Reefer

Aussie Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!! Welcome to another update from yours truly. ENJOY! :)

6hdk.jpg

8ppm.jpg

z74z.jpg

gapp.jpg

2ybu.jpg

brqj.jpg

p1o7.jpg

I also built myself a topdown box this week!

p3xu.jpg

ftj3.jpg

733i.jpg

7dve.jpg

t938.jpg

um40.jpg

7xv3.jpg

2t53.jpg

And a couple of shots for the road guys and dolls.. THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO LOOK AND REPLY!!
y519.jpg

ye91.jpg

Scrappy FTS... I need to do a bit of a tank clean up... a few things laying around are off to my local LFS for trade in this week. :)
6jfx.jpg
[/

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful setup! Love the minimal rockwork - let the corals be the star of the tank. Great pics as well. Love the T5 look!

OP
OP
Aussie Reefer

Aussie Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
I have been tied up with the birth of my first child of late. She is one month old today!
Anyway as far as the tank is concerned, Ive FINALLY beaten a case of Dino's I had going
I cant exactly pinpoint how I beat them, as I was tryibg everything and anything to beat them.

I used the following techniques;
- Strong ozone
- reduced main lighting to 5hrs, with 2x54w tubes only remaining on for 8hrs.
- Zeovit Coral snow
- minimal water changes (only replaced vacuumed detritus water)
- Bio-pellets
- Manual removal
Currently my corals are a little dark as I firmly believe by raising nitrates slightly I have assisted removal of the Dino growth cycle by allowing other algaes in my refugium to compete with the Dinoflangellatte's for nutrients.
Lets hope the Dino cycle is gone for good!
35ed.jpg

8kwi.jpg

xgx0.jpg

vhnf.jpg

k4pu.jpg

u5z8.jpg

80pa.jpg

rkm7.jpg

wjkw.jpg

OP
OP
Aussie Reefer

Aussie Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new addition to the reef tank this week! - My new Juv. Blue faced angel!
pyq5.jpg

5ljx.jpg

I also have has a rescape... I will try to get a new FTS up in the next few weeks after I get rid of a few more frags and stuff that are cluttering the tank up.
otgg.jpg

OP
OP
Aussie Reefer

Aussie Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the great comments guys!

Rickyrooz - 60"x36"x20" - 250g

I also just wanted to share some SPS secrets with everyone tagging along...

Keeping SPS is actually very easy to do.
There is 3 NON-NEGOTIABLES, and that is it! As long as you abide by the non-negotiables you will succeed in growing colorful SPS!
In PRIORITY they are;

1) STABLE and CONSISTENT Ca + Alk. (Calcium levels can be between of 380-440ppm, Alk between 7.5-9.5 dkh). The best SPS systems DO NOT VARY from its set value.
*I have noticed dramatic color reduction in my SPS either from raising or lowering alk even 1dkh too quickly!

2)INTENSE LIGHTING! - most SPS is collected from shallow reef flats <10mtrs, and therefore will do best when provided with a MINIMUM of 350 PAR. - In my opinion, color temp is only a viewer preference and has less effect on growth rates than actually intensity of lighting.

3) LOW NUTRIENT WATER! - Low Phosphates are essential for nicely colored SPS (0.01-0.05ppm) - Nitrates however, i would aim to keep between 1-2ppm, as this will promote darker and richer blues, purples + greens. I ran 0.01 Nitrates for a while there, and colors are very washed out. Once i added a biopellet reactor to actually PROVIDE some nitrates to tank my colors have greatly improved.

A word on LaCl :

Me and all my reefing buddies are right into LaCl, and there is a general rule amongst us that the acceptable LaCl dosing regime is 1ml per 1000ltrs per 24hrs. Many even are running dosing pumps for this regime!
It is traditionally dosed into the water intake of skimmer via ozone port, or custom port.
With my system however, 1ml per 1000ltrs in 24hrs reduces Po4 too much, and my Po4 levels are actually VERY close to 0.00 (RED SEA PRO) after a 2 week period of this dosing regime. When close too 0.00 my colors also wash out and I have even noticed a green monti bleach! Thanksfully it has now colored back up as it was one of my favorite!
So my LaCl regime is now 0.2ml per 1000ltrs per 24hrs (IF I REMEMBER!), dosed manually, and also used in conjunction with GFO.

In summarizing, I once read somewhere a wise philosophy about reefkeeping that i often think back to when designing or modifying my SPS system..
"A filter is only as good as the ease of cleaning it"
For example, you don't want your skimmer cup to be a real pain to get out of sump, because you are going to be less likely to frequently clean it if its a pain to access.
The same goes for your entire SPS system. You dont want water changes to be a pain to perform, because you will be less likely to do water changes!
If you stick by this philosophy you will succeed. The trouble lies within ones self by making a suitable compromise between looks and functionality!

GOOD LUCK ALL, and HAPPY REEFING! :cool:

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 97 44.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back