Best (Affordable) Lens for Full-Tank Shots?

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nikon D5500 DSLR, and at the moment my only lens is a Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Macro. Works great for close-up shots, but there's an issue with it. In order to get the full tank in-frame, I have to stand back from the tank at least 12 feet... which puts me right on my stove. There really isn't anyplace I can set up my camera at the appropriate distance that isn't obstructed by something, so it's basically impossible to get a full-tank shot. I can work around it by using my phone for my FTS, but I'd obviously prefer to be able to use the camera for that as well.

What are some decent, affordable lenses that would work for the task and are not stupidly expensive? I'm looking for sub-$200.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How wide is your tank ?
A 50mm 1.8 is hard to beat in quality and price
18-55 kit lense would provide much wider angle and over all good quality
17-55 2.8 by tamron would be much better image quality at maybe a bit more price.

OP
OP
Biokabe

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a Reefer 350, so 4' basically. Due to room constraints, I have to be within 6' to take a FTS before I (literally) run into my kitchen counters.

Thanks!

ChuzUThisDay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How wide is your tank ?
A 50mm 1.8 is hard to beat in quality and price
18-55 kit lense would provide much wider angle and over all good quality
17-55 2.8 by tamron would be much better image quality at maybe a bit more price.
All three of these are great choices. The kit lens is usually available on marketplace, craigslist, etc. for an inexpensive price and it's not a bad lens.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order for an APS-C camera to capture four feet at 6 foot separation you'd need to divide 24mm by 1.5 and that might work. However, there's likely going to be lots of distortion inherent with wide angle lenses. Might have to go down to effective 16mm which means 11mm APS-C lens.

I've shot Full Frame and 16mm and that worked but I doubt Nikon has something affordable 11mm range.

I'd go to B&H and ask them. They have been in business for decades and I've been buying from them and getting advise from them for a decade plus. I'm a Canon shooter so can't advise on Nikon but those guys have practical experience and can better serve you as well as you can use their filters to isolate best option. Will also be able to advise on best yellow filter to remove the blue from the lights.

Last point. Prime lens will offer the least distortion at that required focal length but those with Canon are astronomically expensive. Perhaps there's a third party vendor offering compatible options at affordable prices. Sigma and Tamron come to mind.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran a quick search. Here's what I think would work. There's apparently lower focal length options for Nikon. I'd still would consider speaking with B&H as this topic is not isolated to reef tanks and just physics of capturing a field of view where greater than 75% the distance from camera sensor to subject. Might need APS-C 8mm to make it work. Just need to possibly increase the budget but might get lucky and find something for $200.

NIKON 10MM.JPG

Thumbster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take 2 or 3 pics with the best lens you have then stitch them together in Lightroom. There might be another way to make “panoramas” but that’s what I use. Lightroom is $10-12 a month.

Vinaka_vakalevu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tokina and Nikon make a 12-24 f4 dx specific lens that is fine for your purposes. It’s a relatively soft lens compared to top level nikkor lenses with a tighter aperture but will be more than fine for your purposes of full tank shots.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take 2 or 3 pics with the best lens you have then stitch them together in Lightroom. There might be another way to make “panoramas” but that’s what I use. Lightroom is $10-12 a month.
The Problem with that are the Fish are constantly on the move. Don’t know how many times I wanted a picture of a particular fish. Couldn’t get it, I’ve even had another Fish Photo Bomb.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 31 39.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 39 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back