My first shots with my new camera

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I just upgraded from an at least 10 year old Canon dslr to a new mirrorless full frame Canon (EOS RP). These are my first shots after about 5 minutes of messing with the settings. I basically just copied the set points of my old camera. I'm happy with them for now, but hope to get better with time. Here's a few shots of stuff in my frag tank.

_MG_3848.JPG
_MG_3851.JPG
_MG_3831.JPG
_MG_3852.JPG
_MG_3857.JPG

IMG_3791.JPG

_MG_3849.JPG

_MG_3854.JPG

OP
OP
DIYreefer

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Looks great!!! Are these all with the stock lens or did you spring for a Macro lens as well?

I bought just the camera body only since I already have a few various lenses. However, I did have to buy an adapter in order to be able to use my old lenses. For these pictures I used a Tamron 90mm macro lens.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought just the camera body only since I already have a few various lenses. However, I did have to buy an adapter in order to be able to use my old lenses. For these pictures I used a Tamron 90mm macro lens.
Nice... I have an EoS rebel T7 body with the stock 18-55 mm lens. I just ordered a new 100mm Macro lens the other day (should be here on Saturday) I can't wait to start testing out some cool Macro shots.

OP
OP
DIYreefer

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Nice... I have an EoS rebel T7 body with the stock 18-55 mm lens. I just ordered a new 100mm Macro lens the other day (should be here on Saturday) I can't wait to start testing out some cool Macro shots.

You will love the macro lens. It will give you a whole new impression of some of your corals. Or maybe that just happens for me since I'm old and blind, and can't see the finer details on my own anymore. Lol.

OP
OP
DIYreefer

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
That is a great color combination. I have heard a lot about green florescent protein infections in "splices", but I guess that is a red florescent protein? Very cool

Yeah, the yellow/green is typically the predominant color. Although I have seen some that are mostly red.

I bought my frag as "all green" because my pockets aren't deep enough for the ones with red in them. There's a large price difference between the two.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will love the macro lens. It will give you a whole new impression of some of your corals. Or maybe that just happens for me since I'm old and blind, and can't see the finer details on my own anymore. Lol.
My new lens arrived today!!! I can already see that I have a lot to learn in order to get the best use of this... My first few test shots are not very good.. lol

OP
OP
DIYreefer

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
My new lens arrived today!!! I can already see that I have a lot to learn in order to get the best use of this... My first few test shots are not very good.. lol

Post them! I'm no expert, but will gladly help if I can.

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the yellow/green is typically the predominant color. Although I have seen some that are mostly red.

I bought my frag as "all green" because my pockets aren't deep enough for the ones with red in them. There's a large price difference between the two.
Oh wow. So you are super happy to see that red blotch huh? I've heard mixed results of people who have bought all green frags

OP
OP
DIYreefer

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
OK.. Here is an unedited practice shot of the tip of a pen...

Obviously the camera focused more on the granite tabletop than the actual subject... ggrrr

IMG_0005.jpg

Did you use a tripod for this shot? I might just be me, but there's a 99% chance that I'm going to get a blurry picture if I try to shoot freehand with a macro lens.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use a tripod for this shot? I might just be me, but there's a 99% chance that I'm going to get a blurry picture if I try to shoot freehand with a macro lens.
no.... And since I did not get the "L"lens, I do not have built in stabilization. I will likely have to use the tripod for every shot...

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a sample shot from the tank, using the tripod.. settings are as follows..

100mm F9 1/500sec ISO 3200 and Exp 0.. The low exposure I am sure is the reason for the noise.

I gave it some exposure in lightroom.. but I know I missed a setting on the original shot....

IMG_0013.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back