My Battle Against Acropora-Eating Flatworms

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty confident where they came in on. Ordered some fancy stuff from well known vendor, some frags had encrustment so I couldn't remove plug totally. Did use my normal bayer dip, but that doesnt get eggs. A few days later I noticed bite marks on those frags, dipped them, saw flatworms, and tossed them. Too late- in display.

This is why I am so much in support of what UWC is doing and why I don't mind paying the $$ for Flatworm Stop. It doesn't matter how reputable the vendor is, these things are so hard to spot. Eggs are not easy to see when they get tucked under the encrusted portion. Chances are always high to get SPS no matter who you buy them from and unless you have a solid QT you're on borrowed time before you end up with them.

You wonder what percentage of folks have a stable QT system where they can confidently store frags for 30+ days...everyone says dip and buy from reputable places. I was adamant about only using two well known (pricey too) vendors and managed to get them. I have a very good dipping routine but that doesn't really matter with AEFW.

I always get fired up and force myself to not respond when I see people say dumb stuff like "I don't get AEFW because I dip my corals". If you only dip then the only reason you don't have AEFW is out of pure luck; there isn't a dip out there that can kill the eggs and the eggs are the problem.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another batch bites the dust (probably my 5th container full).

Might just bleach the tank soon.... problem is I will NOT reuse any rock so that will entail dozens of very large, seemingly healthy corals and anemones dying. Won’t do it yet, but all the medications have screwed with the biological stability and I don’t see it recovering. Ugh. Sad times.

qFjXGBv.jpg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 85 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back