My Betta is a Shut-In! Advice.....

  • Thread starter Thread starter Feet4Fish
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 9, 2015
Messages
2,133
Reaction score
2,689
Location
Lynn, Indiana
What state or country do you live in
Indiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About four weeks ago I purchased a Marine Betta. To this day I can't get the fish to come out. He hides non-stop. I have tried enticing him with food, low light, no light, lower flow and still nothing. Unless he is spooked out by another fish he just stays put. I know they are reclusive and generally nocturnal. Is this the behavior I should expect for the long haul? Any thoughts or suggestions to possibly get him out more. He is a great looking fish and I would like to see him more.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1469756896.079408.jpg
 
Unfortunately that is kind of their nature. All you can do is provide plenty of hiding spots and make sure there aren't a lot of quick moving aggressive fish and hopefully he starts to come out more.
 
that is is natural behavior. I had one in a 180 a number years ago and I would go months without seeing him.
 
About four weeks ago I purchased a Marine Betta. To this day I can't get the fish to come out. He hides non-stop. I have tried enticing him with food, low light, no light, lower flow and still nothing. Unless he is spooked out by another fish he just stays put. I know they are reclusive and generally nocturnal. Is this the behavior I should expect for the long haul? Any thoughts or suggestions to possibly get him out more. He is a great looking fish and I would like to see him more.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1469756896.079408.jpg
Feeding their favorite foods, such as PE mysis, a few times a day, can help them to be more visible. After about a year or so, they become visible more often.
 
Thanks for the input everyone. To me he is a cool looking fish. Will be hopeful that down the road he wants to show off a bit.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new