My Blue / Green Chromis is sick - Pls Help Chromeo!!!

JEFF_THE_REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed that my Blue/Green Chromis isn't acting normally. He has been hiding in the rockscape and there are some issues happening as of today. He might have "Hole In Head" disease. If anyone had a similar problem and can help from the video and pics below, pls help.

Chromeo.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I cant see the video - I would ask you though:

1. How long have you had it?
2. Did you Qt it?
3. Any other fish affected (acting funny)
4. Any new additions (coral/fish)
5. Any change in parameters
6. Any other problems with fish illness previously?

I am not seeing hole in the head disease - but there are numerous scales that look abnormal. Any bullying? scratching? Chromis can get uronema which can be difficult to treat. Which usually ends up with red sores (I do not see those now) - but the scales do not look normal.

PS how long have you noticed the changes? Is the black area a spot that has been there all the time (same on both sides) - chromic can have those and be normal.

@vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal @fishguy242 @nereefpat

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Could neither be HLLE but could be early stage uronema common with chromis or gram negative bacterial. These fish respond well to Formalin treatments. For this type of fish, my preference would be Ruby rally pro.
You can start with a Hydrogen Peroxide bath for 30 minutes adding 20ml of Hydrogen Peroxide per gallon of Tank water with aeration

Last edited:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed that my Blue/Green Chromis isn't acting normally. He has been hiding in the rockscape and there are some issues happening as of today. He might have "Hole In Head" disease. If anyone had a similar problem and can help from the video and pics below, pls help.

Chromeo.jpg

The video wouldn't work for me. You could try linking to a youtube video.

Green chromis don't get HLLE. Uronema is common in newly acquired green chromis, but that shows up as large singular lesions, and this looks more like diffuse missing scales.

Are there other chromis in the tank? Many times, schools of these break down and they keep one or more of their tankmates in hiding to avoid being attacked.

Jay

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks more like stress and malnourishment than anything else

it’s funny, chromis are usually small
Fish when you get them
But in the wild they are almost 2.5-3”

they get huge and have quite the appetite

IMO, they need to eat a lot to do well in captivity

uronema would have killed the fish in 24-48 hrs

OP
OP
JEFF_THE_REEF

JEFF_THE_REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer some of your questions:

1. How long have you had it? - He seems to have this condition develop this week - starting on Monday.
2. Did you Qt it? - We have not QT'd him yet. I wasn't sure if that was needed.
3. Any other fish affected (acting funny) - No other fish seem to have a similar condition in my tank.
4. Any new additions (coral/fish) - Added Two Clownfish Last Week but I haven't seen them attack or act aggressively to the Chromis in weeks.
5. Any change in parameters - Recent 20% water change.
6. Any other problems with fish illness previously? - Nope.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To answer some of your questions:

1. How long have you had it? - He seems to have this condition develop this week - starting on Monday.
2. Did you Qt it? - We have not QT'd him yet. I wasn't sure if that was needed.
3. Any other fish affected (acting funny) - No other fish seem to have a similar condition in my tank.
4. Any new additions (coral/fish) - Added Two Clownfish Last Week but I haven't seen them attack or act aggressively to the Chromis in weeks.
5. Any change in parameters - Recent 20% water change.
6. Any other problems with fish illness previously? - Nope.
Thanks alot - I was asking in #1 - how long have you had the chromis (sorry it wasn't clear). In my experience - HLLE would not come on that quickly (in 4 days) - to that extent. As @vetteguy53081 said - there is some data for using formaldehyde dips followed by oral metronidazole for uronema - as long as red blotches have not developed (formaldehyde tends to make those 'ulcerations' worse) - in that case metronidazole can be tried alone. But again - treatment is difficult.

One more question - do both sides of the fish look similar?

OP
OP
JEFF_THE_REEF

JEFF_THE_REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got him on January 4, 2022. I'm in the process of setting up a hospital tank for him now.

Do you recommend Ruby Reef Rally PRO or Metronidazole? Is there a site that you recommend for treatment? Super new to this hobby and my LFS doesn't have the greatest stock of supplies. Is this site good?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looks more like stress and malnourishment than anything else

it’s funny, chromis are usually small
Fish when you get them
But in the wild they are almost 2.5-3”

they get huge and have quite the appetite

IMO, they need to eat a lot to do well in captivity

uronema would have killed the fish in 24-48 hrs
Yrinema does not kill a fish that fast. Raw flesh and deterioration not yet present assuming it’s uronema. This if anything may be early stage

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
We got him on January 4, 2022. I'm in the process of setting up a hospital tank for him now.

Do you recommend Ruby Reef Rally PRO or Metronidazole? Is there a site that you recommend for treatment? Super new to this hobby and my LFS doesn't have the greatest stock of supplies. Is this site good?

Ruby rally having formalin would be much more effective covering bacterial issues also

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your quick responses. Here's the video -

That fish is breathing way to fast. You should check your other fish against it to ensure they all are not breathing fast like this one (that would indicate a system wide disease or water quality issue).
Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back