My fish are sick and I really need help.

mhmd3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

My fish are sick and 4 fish just dead. 4 days ago everything was great until the local fish store recommended to add a whole bottle of bacteria to the tank at once, two days later I wake up to find one of my tang dead and another blue tang swimming to the service, I moved right away to the hospital tank and start observing the front tank. I have done multiple tests at home and everything was normal.

I went to the local fish store and test the water to make sure and they told me that everything was very good, and they seen the died fish and said maybe they fight, and give me a general cure to the hospital tank,
The day after the blue tang died and also one of the dispar anthias died and the next day on of my Blue Chromis died in my front tank.

now my clownfish is like this as you see in the picture and I am worried about tank.

what I have to do with my other fish in the main tank, it is a 75g with 25g sump.

Please help me, I tried to get an expert here but did not find any in my area.

Screenshot 2023-12-21 at 11.09.08 PM.png Screenshot 2023-12-21 at 11.09.21 PM.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello everyone,

My fish are sick and 4 fish just dead. 4 days ago everything was great until the local fish store recommended to add a whole bottle of bacteria to the tank at once, two days later I wake up to find one of my tang dead and another blue tang swimming to the service, I moved right away to the hospital tank and start observing the front tank. I have done multiple tests at home and everything was normal.

I went to the local fish store and test the water to make sure and they told me that everything was very good, and they seen the died fish and said maybe they fight, and give me a general cure to the hospital tank,
The day after the blue tang died and also one of the dispar anthias died and the next day on of my Blue Chromis died in my front tank.

now my clownfish is like this as you see in the picture and I am worried about tank.

what I have to do with my other fish in the main tank, it is a 75g with 25g sump.

Screenshot 2023-12-21 at 11.09.08 PM.png Screenshot 2023-12-21 at 11.09.21 PM.png
This is a secondary bacterial infection associated with Brooklynella also called clown disease. This should have been treated early on as now recovery will be a battle.
The most significant sign is the amount of slime on its body. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.

Jasc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

Brook or ich. Treat with copper treatment.

OP
OP
M

mhmd3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When was the most recent addition? Was it quarantined?
That looks like late stage ich on the clown to me. Best treatment will be to move all fish into qt and treat with copper.
more than one month, 6 of blue chrome and cleaning shrimp.

OP
OP
M

mhmd3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a secondary bacterial infection associated with Brooklynella also called clown disease. This should have been treated early on as now recovery will be a battle.
The most significant sign is the amount of slime on its body. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.
thank you so much, so I should move all the fish to the QT and start the treatment, should I move the snails crabs, and the shrimp to the QT? Should I do anything to the main tank after moving the fish because it has coral.

also this is my first time doing the hospital tank, can you break it down how to do that with a time line please of if there is any resources I can learn form. I really appreciate your help and thank you in advance.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you so much, so I should move all the fish to the QT and start the treatment, should I move the snails crabs, and the shrimp to the QT? Should I do anything to the main tank after moving the fish because it has coral.

also this is my first time doing the hospital tank, can you break it down how to do that with a time line please of if there is any resources I can learn form. I really appreciate your help and thank you in advance.
All fish need to be treated in QT tank with formulin for 30 days. Primary tank needs to fallow 45 to 76 days. Inverts and coral can remain in Primary tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Fish only and thete really is no formalin other than 37% solution that needs to be diluted directly. You will be treating in a separate tank and not display tank Unless its ruby rally pro .
Copper will not address brook.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

That is a textbook example of marine ich, Cryptocaryon irritans. See the spots on the fins? That is diagnostic for ich. Also, the discrete spots rules out Brooklynella, which would look more like sheets of mucus.

Stopping ich once fish loss has begun is difficult. Ich treatments take a few days to start to work, so expect some additional losses.

Formalin will NOT work for this. you said you used "General Cure", that will not work for ich either. You need to either treat with coppersafe or hyposalinity, but neither of those treatments can be done with invertebrates in the tank.

I do have a question though - the bacteria that you added did not cause this, but why did the store suggest you use it? Were you having water quality issues?

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When was the most recent addition? Was it quarantined?
That looks like late stage ich on the clown to me. Best treatment will be to move all fish into qt and treat with copper.

Yes - that is late stage ich.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 120 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back